jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Anyone know a really good, free, online grammar checker?

1. RonElFran profile image97
    RonElFranposted 8 months ago

I just found a grammar error in one of my hubs. Since I first published that hub in July of 2013, I've read through it innumerable times, but never caught the error. Here's the sentence:

"Once Lee got a head start by moving quickly to begin his retreat on July 5, he would likely be in position chose the ground on which any battle would be fought if Meade caught up to him."

Did you catch the error? ("in position chose the ground" should be "in position TO CHOOSE the ground").

When I finally saw the error today, I ran it through a couple of grammar checkers, including Grammarly and GrammarCheck. Neither caught it.

So, my question is: does anybody use a really good grammar checker that can catch subtle errors like this?

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
      Paul Edmondsonposted 8 months ago in reply to this

I'm not sure why grammar checkers don't catch this error, but I think it has to do with the missing preposition.  I put the sentence in Word to see if it would catch it.  It didn't.  But, it does catch it if you slightly modify the sentence.

I added "to" in front of "chose" and the grammar checker catches it and recommends "choose."

RonElFranposted 8 months ago in reply to this

The frustration is that this error is so obviously wrong, any competent grammar checker should find it. (Obviously, I'm not a competent grammar checker!).

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 8 months ago

I have been using grammarly recently. It seems as good as an automated checker can be.  It also gives reports about common errors that helps me avoid making them again.

RonElFranposted 8 months ago in reply to this

I thought Grammarly was pretty much state of the art among free grammar checkers. That's why I'm so surprised it didn't catch this error.

1. sallybea profile image95
        sallybeaposted 8 months ago in reply to this

I love Grammarly.  It has really improved since I first began using it and quite honestly, I would not be without it.