jump to last post 1-17 of 17 discussions (28 posts)

How do we know when a fellow hubber is alive?

1. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 7 years ago

I mean other than the fact that they're publishing hubs or posting comments.

1. JamaGenee profile image87
      JamaGeneeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

How do we know a person hasn't written a slew of unpublished hubs, then left his/her password with a friend with instructions to publish said hubs periodically, so we'll think they're alive.

So we can't know for sure, actually.  cool

1. 0
        LAmatadoraposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Oh my god...now this sounds like what Tupac Shakur did before he died. He recorded HUNDREDS of songs and left them to be slowly released after his untimely death......

what a trip you said that!

2. Everyday Miracles profile image92
    Everyday Miraclesposted 7 years ago

Define "alive?"

1. beautyrose profile image59
      beautyroseposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hi miracles your back. How are you? maybe you don't know me yet.

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I wonder... big_smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image73
        Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Beauty ,the post by EM was made 4mths ago ( do you see it)...
        If you want to find where shes at ,just email her, Im sure she would be happy for you to make contact .

3. flread45 profile image83
    flread45posted 7 years ago

You don't know,like mail order companies sending mail to the deceased.

4. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 7 years ago

mmmmmm..... I believe you know when a fello hubber is alive simply by the way the write. Nobody would be able to duplicate there verbage, writing style etc. If I gave the computer to my husband , believe me you would know the difference. Just my thought. smile

5. cindyvine profile image85
    cindyvineposted 7 years ago

Well, I think Toad is actually dead and is a zombie who comes awake at night to type up hubs.  CC I think is really Shakespeare who wakes up at night, Blondepoet is actually Jane Austen and Shirley Anderson is actually Mary Shelley.  Pest is definitely Thomas Hardy.  We come alive at night!  AE must be Florence Nightingale.

6. shibashake profile image84
    shibashakeposted 7 years ago

This is a really interesting question. If I were to drop dead tomorrow, all my hubs would still go on. Most visitors would not even know if I were alive or dead because most people would not even check to see if I had any current activity.

In fact, I could use one of those automatic "respond to a comment" programs and appear very much alive. People may find me annoying, but then, better to be annoying than dead smile

lol - HubPages -- a cheap way to cheat death!

7. Lissie profile image85
    Lissieposted 7 years ago

Actually semi-seriously is that I do need to start thinking about how to leave instructions on how to run my business after I'm gone - hopefully I have a while to do it - but what happens with affiliate ID's Adsense etc when you are dead - your bank a/c is almost immediately frozen in my country and then wound up by the executors - but if your sites are producing money there has to be away to leave that to your family

8. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 7 years ago

I check on people when they are missing and I am certain I would check on all of you. smile

1. 0
      LAmatadoraposted 7 years ago in reply to this

all I know is only a "few" people cared when I left HP and were concerned whether I was dead or not, ( except for a few..AE included in the ones who cared) Other than that I don't think most HP hubbers keep track.

9. sunforged profile image67
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

Even a dead plant can turn over a new leaf, when the wind blows!

10. mandybeau profile image60
    mandybeauposted 7 years ago

Actually it is difficult, some of the Hubs, may have been composed yonks ago have sat in some Lawyers office, with the request, that a Hub, be scheduled and released one at a time over the next few years. This could be happening and how would we know. Always a reckoning day. This Post is as good as acco's.Congratulations, on your clever idea, wherever did you derive, the inspiration from.

darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

By changing the last word of acco's thread to the opposite meaning.

11. Shalini Kagal profile image78
    Shalini Kagalposted 7 years ago

haha Jama - maybe like shibashake said, if you had a 'respond to comment' program, you'd never, ever know!

1. JamaGenee profile image87
      JamaGeneeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That'd pretty much take care of it, Shal!

12. 0
    TheSandmanposted 7 years ago

NO we can't know for sure,unless that person knows in advance and wishes to let us know that his or her death is near

13. Zsuzsy Bee profile image83
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 7 years ago

Darkside! How clever you are to come up with this soooooo
    important point just before you request the hubteam to install a hubber-pulse-checker. Everyone will need to hookup to this gadget and only be allowed to proceed with writing new hubs, commenting and posting in the forums if they have a pulse. I wonder if the team could also request that the hubbers have a certain % of brain activity too.
    Darkside you always find the right pictures... do you happen to have a pic of one of these gadgets in your tickle trunk?
    regards Zsuzsy

14. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 7 years ago

HubPages Inc are developing a special biometric/pulse reading mouse. It's got the HP logo (the blue/green/red arrow triangly thing) embossed on it, and it looks very cool.

The left mouse button reads a persons fingerprint and the right one reads the pulse rate. So family members won't be able to get away with sitting a dead hubbers hand on the mouse.

A series of tests have been run on a group of hubbers (which may or may not included a dead hubber or two) and they're happy with the results. Once the HP CEO has signed off on it they'll be sending out the computer mouses as gifts to all active hubbers with a HubberScore of 50 and over.

Why are they doing this?

Online inactivity for a prolonged period of time will flag the account as MIA. HubScores will be effected (negatively) and if the hubber doesn't make a post in the forum saying that HubScore must be broken or a similar complaint and the system notices that other people are using the mouse/account, then they'll upgrade the status to Possibly Dead. And they'll up their ad pageview share to 100% (or 90% if the referrer is still confirmed as being alive).

1. shibashake profile image84
      shibashakeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It seems somewhat unfair that the system only works on the downside of life. If I had a high pulse rate, and am hyperactive, shouldn't I also get upgraded to "Super Alive" and get my pageview share up?! Time for a revolution! Oppose the tyranny!

15. Zsuzsy Bee profile image83
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 7 years ago

Darkside you explained all that so well. Will this mouse also work on brain dead hubbers?

darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I suspect the quality of the hubs will be far lower than the expected norm. Which may mean that we already have a few brain dead hubbers already on the books.

2. jiberish profile image80
      jiberishposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I was also wondering about this, for myself sometimes. smile

16. chucky12 profile image59
    chucky12posted 7 years ago

Lab Tests still trialing.

17. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

Cindyvine may be right, LOL I seem to always come back with my flying walrus or Lilith. hehe But when it is final you will know by way of Hawkesdream.