jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

When to Deny Comments

1. kbdressman profile image94
    kbdressmanposted 16 months ago

When do you deny comments?  (Please explain your rationale if not obvious)

1. ahorseback profile image44
      ahorsebackposted 16 months ago in reply to this

I used to  deny those who's negative reply's were offensive or critical .  I haven't had any for a couple of years so  I don't  filter them anymore . I say  anytime you want to !

2. theraggededge profile image95
      theraggededgeposted 16 months ago in reply to this

I don't approve generic 'Great hub' comments. They add nothing of value.

3. jackclee lm profile image71
      jackclee lmposted 16 months ago in reply to this

Comments are generally welcomed. Only deny when it is clearly spam or when offensive language or personal attacks are used. I also ask for some style critique in some of my writings. In those cases, I make it clear up front that they will be kept private. I hope this helps.

4. NateB11 profile image94
      NateB11posted 16 months ago in reply to this

A totally spam comment, literally just promoting a website without leaving a comment of any relevance does not get approved. Something too offensive will not get approved; people taking the opportunity to personally attack me or leave a stupid argument on my article do not get approved. Also anything that violates TOS will not get approved; for instance, hate speech.

Recently I've been debating on whether to approve a comment in which the commenter left a generic comment and the name of their site (no link). It's questionable, probably won't approve it.

5. Phyllis Doyle profile image90
      Phyllis Doyleposted 16 months ago in reply to this

I deny comments that have an outside link, are non-related to my hub, spam, or have information that is detrimental. I recently had to deny a comment that, although related to my hub, contained information on an old healing method I would not recommend because it could be harmful if someone tried it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 months ago

I will deny anyone who posts a self-promotional link in their comments.

3. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 16 months ago

It can vary by Hub topic, but my personal criteria is if the comment contributes in some way.

Anything with a link in it is almost never approved.

1. jackclee lm profile image71
      jackclee lmposted 16 months ago in reply to this

I respectfully disagree. Just like a picture is worth a thousand words, sometimes, a link is the only way to fully comment on a topic or provide additional info.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 16 months ago in reply to this

In most cases, when people post a link it's because they want to promote their own website - not because they're offering useful information.

2. relache profile image87
        relacheposted 16 months ago in reply to this

That's why I say links are almost never approved, instead of never approved.

4. kbdressman profile image94
    kbdressmanposted 16 months ago

Sounds like I'm not crazy for wanting to deny a comment that looks like a copy+paste of a translation of a wikipedia page that originated in a non-English language! Thanks all!

5. Hearts and Lattes profile image86
    Hearts and Lattesposted 16 months ago

I don't allow comments at all on any of my profiles though I used to in my first year. I don't have time nor care to debate or argue or  read spam.

working