jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (14 posts)

Improvement on HUB

1. Priya Barua profile image85
    Priya Baruaposted 14 months ago

http://hubpages.com/style/StyleMeUp-5-E … y-Wardrobe

That's the link to my hub. I need help. This is my 34th hub, and the first one to be not featured. I tried making  a couple of changes, and republished it, but the evaluation seems to be the same. Considering that I had published similar hubs like this one, plus worse ones than this, I was wondering where I went wrong. It would seriously be very kind of anyone who would give me an input.

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 14 months ago in reply to this

Hi there,

This is the first paragraph.

"Evey woman in necessarily confused on whether to buy a mini skirt or a dress. And I feel you one that. While you may choose either of that or both, the best advice that fashion experts dish out is that you should have a couple of pieces that scream elegance and style. "

Evey should be Every
      The claim that every woman is confused over a mini skirt or a dress is quite obviously ridiculous.
      "I feel you one that" should be "I feel you on that", but it isn't good grammar anyway.
      "either of that" should be "either of those".
      Elegance and style never 'screams'.

Are your images attributed? Are they Creative Commons licensed or have you permission to use them?

I should imagine that QAP picked up that first typo in the first word and immediately threw the hub back. Always read your work back out loud and, if possible, get someone with good grammar skills to check it over.

Good luck!

Priya Baruaposted 14 months ago in reply to this

Thanks. I didn't even read the first para properly. What do you mean by image attribute?

1. theraggededge profile image96
          theraggededgeposted 14 months ago in reply to this

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use

I'm not sure whether some of the requirements have changed regarding linking to the source. I haven't written a hub in ages, so you might need to get advice from someone else. In any case, you are not allowed to just take images and publish them on a Hub or blog article without checking the license or asking the owner for permission. There have been many cases where writers have been served with an invoice for the use of images.

Oh God! I had no idea. My images are from Google. Thanks for the link though. I will keep it in mind.

1. Titia profile image92
              Titiaposted 14 months ago in reply to this

Big mistake to just pick your images from google, they might very well be copyrighted. As for attributing the photos: no links allowed, HP will remove them, new rule.

And what do you mean by 'I didn't even read the first para properly' ??
              Does that mean you didn't write the text yourself?

I don't have the have habit of reading the first para because I write that on-spot. While I type the rest of the article on Word before publishing it.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
                  TIMETRAVELER2posted 14 months ago in reply to this

You should always read every word before publishing.  To do less is to create problems for yourself.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
              TIMETRAVELER2posted 14 months ago in reply to this

Google is possibly the worst place for finding images because many require attribution and the information provided is sketchy.

Use Morguefile.com and/or Pixabay.com and then edit using PicMonkey.com (free), and you will avoid having any legal or financial problems. 

If you have been using only Google, you really need to go back into each hub an redo your images and then attribute them properly.

The learning center has a whole section about how to do this, and I would make sure to read it.  I found it extremely helpful.

Thanks a ton.

1. Jean Bakula profile image94
                  Jean Bakulaposted 14 months ago in reply to this

I think if you go to the TOS (terms of service) and read the rules about photo usage, there is a list of  sites that gives you many sources of free photos to use. Also, search Google for hubs about photo attribution, several hubbers have written excellent ones. Good luck. You are also allowed to take your own photos and use those.

Thanks Jean. So I checked out most of the sites, and they don't seem to have the pictures I need. Like my topics are very generic. And that's why I usually go to Google for picture of a black dress, or nude pair of shoes. What I wanted to know whether I can use these common-place pictures from Google. Like a picture of Jennifer Lawrence in an orange frock.

2. Denis Lubojanski profile image70
    Denis Lubojanskiposted 14 months ago

Hubpage is very much strict with the copy right act. When I tried to publish my first hub, it was unpublished because of the copyrighted images I used. After that I removed all the problematic images and added copy right free images. Now there is no problem. And my hubs are doing nice.

working