jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Discussion Board/Forum Signatures

1. NurseFlood profile image82
    NurseFloodposted 7 months ago

I am an active member of several discussion boards in niche areas that I write about.  I was debating putting backlinks to my hubs in some of my forum signatures.  Would this increase my dofollow google backlink traffic?  Or would it hurt me because they are "unnatural"? 

2. Richard-Bivins profile image88
    Richard-Bivinsposted 7 months ago

It depends on the nature of the link and the nature of the discussion.  If your signature link is a keyword anchor text that has nothing to do with the discussion then it will be seen as unnatural.  If the discussion is about "best hotels in Chicago" and the link is to a post on "best natural health foods" then it is irrelevant to the discussion and could do more harm than good.  Best practice for signature links is a short bio with a link to your profile and not a specific hub or article.

3. erorantes profile image32
    erorantesposted 7 months ago

Congratulations for being an active member miss nurse flood. I read in hub pages site about giving comments related to the topic on  any discussion. It might work; what you are planning to do. You can try an see what happened. If your hubs have no activity. Perhaps, they need to move to get some traffic going. Good luck to you.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 7 months ago

I am active in a number of forums devoted to movie/music discussion and in every one of them I use a post signature that says (ala Krusty the Clown from "The Simpsons") "Hey, HEY, Kids! Check out my way-cool blog about music, movies and other cool stuff!" with a link to my HP profile.

(and before the hoity-toity "HubPages is not a BLOGGING SITE!" people get their undies in a bunch... I know that technically HP is not a "blog," but I see no point in going to the trouble of explaining the difference between a "blog" and a "Hub" in a one-sentence forum signature that has a 140 character limit. So don't even bother bringing it up, okay? Thanks.)

I've never gotten any crap about that link from the Powers that Be at any of the forums, and though I have no idea if it's ever gotten me any traffic, I figure it's a fairly benign method of self promotion and it can't hurt.

5. NurseFlood profile image82
    NurseFloodposted 7 months ago

Thank you!  I belong to a Disney Forum- and was thinking I could put a Disney Special Diet article link in my signature, or in my Paleo forum: a link to my how to Paleo or how to whole 30, etc.  It seems the general consensus is that linking to my profile would be better?

6. Barbara Kay profile image85
    Barbara Kayposted 7 months ago

I used to share my links for my crochet niche on a discussion board and got a lot of traffic that way.In fact, one time I shared a link and got 4000 views that day.  I haven't done this in ages. My main advice is don't overdo it and only when it adds to the discussion.

1. NurseFlood profile image82
      NurseFloodposted 7 months ago in reply to this

So avoid signature links and only share links in relevant discussion posts.  Got it!

2. syfsupps profile image61
      syfsuppsposted 5 months ago in reply to this

That's great for you Barbara... What discussion boards are you into by the way?