Amazon and E-Bay Ads on Niche Sites

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (30 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image94
    sallybeaposted 8 years ago

Are Amazon and E-Bay Ads no longer permissible on the new Niche Sites,   I have not seen any and I keep on hearing that Ads have been snipped from Hubs before articles were moved. 

If so, is the pay structure identical to that on the Mother Site?

1. AnnaMKB profile image89
      AnnaMKBposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Some of my most popular hubs got unfeatured until I removed the Amazon modules, no matter how relevant they were.  This is the primary reason I've stopped writing for HubPages.  They don't seem to want people to actually make any money from their hubs.

sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It certainly is a worrying trend and earnings or the lack of opportunity for earnings is something which needs to be addressed and openly discussed.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

You probably were not following the new guidelines.  Don't blame HP for your mistake.

I spoke directly with them.  I jumped their hoops.  They were WELL within guidelines.  The only thing that got my most popular hubs featured again was removing the amazon modules.  So take your sanctimonious assumptions and shove them.  HP is screwing up and THEY need to own up to THEIR problems.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

Really?  Perhaps you should read Christie's most current post below.

What they say and what actually happens are two different things.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

I don't think anything has changed because Solaras posted that her ads were kept on articles that were transferred.

3. Christy Kirwan profile image90
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sally,

We are still permitting Hubbers to earn from product capsules on niche sites, and you will still see Hubs on sites with products listed.

We are, however, being more strict with product listings than on HubPages.com. Products are most likely to be allowed to stay if they are on a Hub intended for shoppers (list of best products for a specific purpose, in-depth reviews for a specific product, etc). On Hubs where the reader is not there to shop but to find information or solve a problem, products will only be allowed if they are discussed as important to the process (e.g. explain that a particular pair of clippers work best for a certain task in your how-to dog grooming Hub and explain why your readers should consider investing in them and what you like about them).

As always, when you add products, remember to mention your personal experience with the item and what you like or dislike about it and what you use it for. Personal experience is a major component to proper product inclusion.

Hi Christy,
        Perfect, a great explanation and I do think the past few days have brought some  great advice on how the capsules should be used..  I know it has made me feel that I can improve this aspect of my writing.  Thank you very much, your input is much appreciated.
        Sally

1. Christy Kirwan profile image90
          Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My pleasure. We do want Hubbers to succeed and to keep making money, but we also want to be more cautious with the new sites to avoid the Panda penalties imposed on HubPages.

While we've updated the product use info in the Learning Center and also made a few blog post in the past year on products, many Hubbers have simply not had time to review the new guidelines or make the changes to their old Hubs. We don't want simple product issues to prevent otherwise great Hubs from succeeding on the new sites, which is why products are what Mods end up snipping most often.

Once we have a better idea of exactly what we're looking for on each site, we intend to make more site-specific guidelines available to Hubbers too in order to give everyone the best chance possible of having Hubs accepted.

1. Kylyssa profile image91
            Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's excellent news! There will be a lot less need for editors to work on hubs written to comply with each site's submission guidelines.

2. sallybea profile image94

Thanks Christy.

2. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 8 years ago

I want to know the answer, too. Thanks for asking the question sallybea.

If the pay structure stays the same this will certainly change the outlook for many writers here.

I don't think anything will change either with the structure or the rules for placing ads.

If the Ads are being stripped before they are placed on the site, then there will be very little revenue for the writer or HubPages.

Your making assumptions based on info you don't have.  Relax.  They want to make money, too.  Give this some time.  People who are having ads removed probably are not using them correctly.

You are right, I don't have the info which is why I posed the question.

3. Titia profile image92
    Titiaposted 8 years ago

Few weeks ago two of my hubs were edited before being moved to Pethelpful and were stripped of all amazon products I had on them despite their relevancy. Also every picture of a product which I thought was relevant to show people how it looked like, has been removed. In one hub they had even removed significant information and only after my protest they were willing to put it back. I always use my own pictures and they've removed several of them. They've removed the photo galeries I had and put all pictures one below the other sidewide. They joined capsules and moved text around. As English is not my native language I decided not to argue about grammar.

I'v let it be so far because I have no time at the moment to move the hubs elsewhere. Views were cut by half right after the move, but now they are back to what they were before, but they are not getting more views than they had before. So actually I see no difference in performance between the old hubs and edited hubs.

And thereby hangs my dilemma.  I would not want my images removed, as they are all mine and relevant to every Tutorial I write..  The Amazon and E-Bays ads at the moment amount to nearly half of my earnings and without those earnings there would be very little reason to stay.  I am fast going off the idea of the thought of these niche sites.  In truth I don't even like the layout of them.

Well Sallybea, you're not going to have a choice.  If they decide to use your hubs in the niche sites, you'll have no say in the matter.  At that point you can either remove them from HP or just wait and see how they do.  I do believe that they are very picky about photo quality, so if the ones you have are not really good, they'll be gone.  As for the ads, that will be up to them, too.

Remember that this is an experiment, so they are feeling their way.  The first hubs that are moved will have the most problems, and the team will learn from their mistakes.  Those of us who will be last will probably fare better.

Well then, they will have to do the tutorial if they need images for the hubs because without doing that the tutorial will make no sense to anyone at all:) I would like to be a fly on the wall as they all learn to become felt makers.
          I don't think quality will be an issue as I have done photography for a long time now but I am certainly in no hurry to move to the niche sites.

I've seen your photos and don't think you have anything to worry about.

I agree I don't think I have a problem.

4. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

All of my Amazon ads were left intact on my hubs that have moved to PetHelpful. Each of my moved hubs that has ads on it has two. The hubs' word counts range from 1,600 to 2,500 words.

That is good to know and have you managed to achieve any sales through the niche sites yet?

1. Kylyssa profile image91
        Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

They've made no sales yet, but the hubs have only been there a few days or have been blocked as spam by Pinterest after the move. I don't think we'll have a clear picture of things until the Pinterest situation is worked out.

I put an average of a hundred words about each item as it relates to the exact topic in the hub. For example, I explain that an iodine supplement is necessary for porcupine puffers' thyroid health and tell readers why I like the one I use on my hub about caring for porcupine puffers. I don't explain as much about the book I sell on the same hub because it's clear it's about caring for puffer fish which is the exact topic of the hub.

I hope some of that helps, at least to give some idea what sort of Amazon ads are making it onto the vertical sites.

Thanks Kylyssa  that is helpful for everyone.

1. gerimcclym profile image94
            gerimcclymposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, indeed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)