jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Ran across this review of HubPages. Any of it legit?

1. Marian Designs profile image81
    Marian Designsposted 7 months ago

I was researching a totally unrelated topic when I came across this review. What do you think of it? BTW, I mean no offense in posting it. There are bad reviews of all sites. I want to know if any of the points it makes are legit.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image95
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 months ago in reply to this

That article clearly was written by someone who thought he was going to get rich quick by using HP to pick up business for his other sites. 

He makes it sound good, but it's a bunch of garbage.

Never, in the 4 years I've been here, have I ever felt that the team was dishonest in its dealings. In fact, it has been just the opposite.

Plenty of people make money here, but it doesn't come overnight, and you do have to follow their rules and be responsible enough to learn what they are aka....read the info in the learning center!

Pure garbage.  Ezine, Squidoo and many others have gone under, but HP still stands and is now trying new things to be able to keep going.

2. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 7 months ago in reply to this

That review is as legit as any review:  reviews are people's opinions based on their experiences.

The entire review can be summed up in one sentence from his opening paragraph.

"HubPages is a well-known website that is marketed as a way for people to earn money and/or promote their businesses by writing articles / creating webpages called "hubs". Scam is a strong word--it communicates deliberate dishonesty with an intent to profit. I don't think I'd go as far as to outright say that HubPages is a scam, however, I don't like the way the website is run, and after experimenting with it, I chose not to participate in it."

The person just didn't like how the site was run. 

Picking apart why someone had a bad experience years prior without that person involved in the discussion is not very productive, but the fact that this person thought HubPages was for promoting a business (in the first sentence) demonstrates the wrong presumption they made about the site and why it clearly didn't work for them.

HubPages has never been about promoting any site or entity but HubPages.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image95
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 months ago

That article is so old. I think that was published about the time I started writing here.

The place is still here. Squido and some of those 'alternatives' listed are in the dust bin of internet history, and this joint rocks on.

3. Jesse Drzal profile image83
    Jesse Drzalposted 7 months ago

I've seen this. The author was all in a tizzy about the "no follow'' links.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image95
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 months ago in reply to this

....and all he or she had to do was make an article thorough enough to score for a dofollow.

....and dofollow links were dimes for dozens at the time too.

4. WordCrafter09 profile image85
    WordCrafter09posted 7 months ago

Ordinarily I don't click on any links posted on places like the forums because, about ten years after first getting involved with anything on the Internet, I'm pretty much thinking just about everyone and everything is some version of a scam or borderline scam.  This time I broke my own rule and clicked on quickly to take a quick look, but not the time to read the thing (although my eyes couldn't help but notice a reference to the HP scoring system).

Based ONLY on my own time spent writing and/or earning on HP, I have no reason to think HP is a scam.  I have no idea what goes on behind any scenes at HP (like what information is/isn't being share with whoever/whatever - that type of thing).  Who knows what any site or company does with regard to that kind of stuff behind the scenes. 

I only know that when I've had more Hubs (under my other HP user name) and when they've gotten search engine traffic the earnings have showed up.  I don't earn much on here now, but that's because I barely have any Hubs.

I don't care about scores.  (I've seen a score of 100 many times, and these days I most often see - like - 70 or lower.  I can see why, too, though.  All I know is that when I was using Ad Sense only on here I'd see it in my pay; and when I've used HP ads I've seen it in the pay from them.  If one meets the minimum for a given month HP pays faithfully on the 28th (so they're as business-like with that as Google is with Ad Sense).  And the HP team pretty much leaves people alone to deal with their own Hubs unless someone e.mails them.  So I see no reason to think HP is a scam.  People use the Internet and "these" sites at their own risk and most often know that.  If nothing else, it's obvious that they're not "fly-by-night", which, to me, counts for something.

5. Marian Designs profile image81
    Marian Designsposted 6 months ago

Okay, thanks, everyone. I don't think of HP as a scam, either.