What do I do when a Hubber harrasses me?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (102 posts)
  1. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 8 years ago

I have a question going. Two or three hubbers are
    a) not answering the question
    b) harrassing me with accusations.

What is the correct procedure for this. So far I have simply deleted the comments, but this gets tedious.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The correct procedure is to report the harrasser to the HubPages team. Deny the comments but don't delete them, so the team can see what's happening.

However, the best option is simply to avoid the Q & A section. It earns virtually nothing and does nothing to enhance your profile.

TessSchlesingerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Marisa, I will not delete anymore. As soon as they arrive, I will contact the hubteam. Thank you.

2. Jesse Drzal profile image92
        Jesse Drzalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The Q and A looks horrible to people visiting the site. It should be axed, no?

Wow! Looks horrible to whom? Would that be American Christians? It certainly wouldn't look horrible to any of my 26,000 to 29000 followers on Google Plus. Not everybody in the world is a fundamentalist Christian. In Norway, for instance, most of the country is secular and they would look askance at you if you professed belief in god.

That said, There is a section on Hub Pages categories for atheism and another for religion. I am within my legal and moral rights to ask the question. There is nothing offensive about the question. I hate being nasty and rude to people. However some people smash all etiquette, kindness, and/or protocol simply to dislodge what threatens them or disagrees with them.

You know for 200 or 300 years, atheists just kept their mouths shut about not believing in God. Firstly, they might get beheaded or jailed if they professed such heresy, and secondly as that fell away, it was just plain bad manners to insult someone by telling them that their gods were pie in the sky.

That said, with the exception of religious fundamentalists, regardless of religion, most people will politely veer away from a topic that is divisive and offensive. For whatever reason, fundamentalists of all religion believe that they can 'group' attack those not of their persuasion, regardless if this is a physical or verbal attack.

After 20 years of this, two years ago I decided enough is enough. I now delete and block elsewhere - facebook, Google Plus, etc. Hubpages doesn't give a blocking option so I will report it to management next time.

By the way, you also omitted to publish her entire post which completely ignored the details in the question, and you didn't post my entire response.

1. Jesse Drzal profile image92

I could really care less about how many people you think are following you on Google Plus.

Relevance. The point is that my question would not give people a bad impression of HubPages. It doesn't happen elsewhere as demonstrated by my numbers. The point was obvious to anyone. Your response, by ignoring everything else that I said, except that, seems somewhat strange. I also have between 300,000 to a million views a month, and I write about the same things I do on Hubpages. Certainly some religious people don't like it, but they don't have to follow me. However, when they chose to attack, I delete and block. I can delete here. I can't block here.

And Google gives one the figures, so it's not my imagination. It's there for all to see.

Ok, that's all fine. I wish you the best. I really do.

Thank you. I appreciate that. smile And to you. smile

2. Brynn Thorssen profile image84
          Brynn Thorssenposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's also quite telling that in one post she basically decries the Q&A section then attacks someone else for making a similar point.

Wouldn't it be great if there were a site where you could blog and give your opinion, unfettered, and then deny all the comments on the blog so you could lecture people all day long????  And I bet then we could call it "Hubpages"

2. Oztinato profile image74
      Oztinatoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It might sound revolutionary but try not asking questions that insult people's intelligence and feelings. Once you do that the problem will instantly solve itself like a heavenly miracle.
      Another amazing tip: don't ask derogatory questions about people. This is also bound to solve these problems you are having.
      Lastly forget entirely about doing questions and hubs criticizing religious people. It might shock you to learn that you youself are the problem by making insensitive remarks.
      "Hate speech is not free speech"......Einstein.

None of my questions were hate speech. I agree that, in America as in South Africa, it is a controversial topic. My mode of address though, was not aggressive. I pointed out in the first question that it was only a section of religious people, not all of them. In view of the response by some, my question asking how on earth one gets people to drop the topic, is relevant here.

The response, quite clearly from some, was to put me down.

I think it's a relevant question as to how one stops that kind of thing.

Don't you?

My second question was in response to one written by someone else. I asked for responses to be backed by studies, i.e. coldhearted evidence, precisely so that no emotive opinions could trigger nastiness.

Yet in both, people arrived in attack mode.

I would sincerely like to know how one stops that kind of thing. Not raising the topic isn't sustainable when the other side is consistently raising the topic.

3. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you do not like the responses. Do not ask the questions.

Problem solved.

wink

4. RJ Schwartz profile image87
      RJ Schwartzposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Here is another of your abrasive posts...
      Tessa Schlesinger (TessSchlesinger) 8 hours ago

Carrie, are you stupid or something?

Carrie has had about 10 of her posts deleted. I asked that eventually because she off topic for all of her responses, professing her belief in Jesus Christ and how she loved to talk about religion - none of which had anything to do with my question. She also suggested that the fault was mine because if I kept losing friends because I didn't want to be talking about religion and these people couldn't stop, then the fault must be mine because I raised the topic. Again, no evidence for that, and my explanation was to the contrary. She didn't stop. She badgered. And, yes, it probably wasn't my best moment, but how much much one tolerate?

1. Brynn Thorssen profile image84

It's interesting that she said I professed a love of Jesus Christ, since I am not a Christian.  She stated that she often gets into arguments regarding religion and I said that I am deeply *spiritual and even though I am fascinated by religion, it is a topic that rarely comes up in discussions.  She purported that she *often gets into heated arguments regarding religion and I asserted that she must be seeking out the discord.

And people would be able to see all the alleged attacks and badgering had you not deleted my comments.  But it's better to hide the evidence and make things up to prove a point, I guess.

Just in this thread it is quite clear you are an angry and argumentative person.  What I said in those other posts was that YOU should examine YOUR behavior if you are indeed getting into a lot of arguments over nothing with a lot of people, especially with strangers!  The way you're acting now certainly isn't proving my theory wrong, is it?

5. profile image0
      roobposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Is this me? You can go ahead and report me. I just thought it was unfair how your question was hypocritical and I answered in such a fashion as to also address that. Your question was about religious ppl preaching to you and how to stop them... right? I answered by saying maybe you should stop preaching your atheism and against God all over this site first and God may then stop bothering you.
      If that is a crime on hub pages, then I probably should not be on this site. Too bad because I really like this site and wanted to voice my free opinion while expressing my passion for writing. However if it is me... just say so & I promise I will never ever comment to you or about you again. Hopefully you just don't slander me.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

I'm curious. Which side is harassing you, the religionists or the atheists? smile

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

For what I see, it is the religionists who are harassing Tessa.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I wish people would get along better... Oh, well. Fact of life I guess.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image61

Thank you for confirming that. Nothing new.

Next time it happens, give em one of these... big_smile
          https://i.imgflip.com/11qwgs.jpg
          https://i.imgflip.com/11qwgs.jpg

Yuk. Please don't ruin my day.

3. Brynn Thorssen profile image84

I'm not sure how questioning someone about why they are always getting into arguments over a topic that stresses them out is harassing them.  I told her she must be egging them on, and this post cements my opinion.  She did, after all, post a question.  Are we supposed to use our magic Jesus ESP to know not to answer trick questions?  Because her questions MUST be trick questions, otherwise why would she post them and then delete most of the answers??

1. profile image0

Christianity is something many people talk against but hate hearing about, at least that is my experience. I myself am a believer Brynn. BTW I am not answering OP's question here... I am commenting on Brynn Thorsten's answer like hubpages gives me the option too.

I think there is a reason my grandparents' generation (depression era) always said not to talk about politics or religion "in polite company."

4. Brynn Thorssen profile image84

Would the religionist be the Muslim, Taoist or Voodoo Priestess?  Pretty sure she's not attacking believers of Ute Spirituality.  Her venom is all pointed squarely at the Christians, a group to which I do not belong.

Unfortunately I erased all the comments that would prove otherwise. Wow!

This is mentally ill behavior.

2. Austinstar profile image83
          Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Can you not read? I SAID THAT A RELIGIONIST IS ANYONE WHO IS RELIGIOUS.
          I did not single out any religion.
          Here, let me repeat it in smaller words.
          Religionist=a person of religion - any religion on earth.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
            Rochelle Frankposted 8 years agoin reply to this

OK , that's good. I guess it excludes any of us who might have religions from beyond earth.  smile

1. RJ Schwartz profile image87

You're fine

You just made me laugh! Very good. smile

2. RJ Schwartz profile image87

Actually religionist is more commonly used to identify a religious zealot although your definition is correct also.  Those of us who do not belong to an organized religion are safe...whew....

Yup. The dictionary defines it this way:

a person adhering to a religion; especially :  a religious zealot

The Urban Dictionary defines it this way.

An arrogant, prideful, egoistic, religious person who believes his/her religion is the only true religion. They are deeply religious in their dogma/religion to such an extent they believe that is who they are. They are often times very legalistic and think they are better than others, especially other people who aren't members of their particular religion. People who are religionists are usually the biggest hypocrites.
              Religious people are often times religionists due to the effect their religion has had on them over the years.

Jenny is so prideful about her religion, she is such a religionist.

A religionist takes legalism to the extreme.

Most religionists are so blind and arrogant they don't even realize how hypocritical they are.

So you zealously attack "religionists" for fun and then get offended when they fight back?  And I would love to know what religion I was zealously defending .... no, please.

3. Oztinato profile image74

It's just that all your negative comments relate solely to a stereotype of right wing back woods fundamentalists. For example the way you focus on the Bible and never mention any other scripture or any indigenous cultures whose lives are built on their own religion

Definition of harassment:
      aggressive pressure or intimidation.
      "they face daily harassment by the police"
      synonyms:    persecution, harrying, pestering, badgering, intimidation, bother, annoyance, aggravation, irritation, pressure, pressurization, force, coercion, molestation;

So let's go with badgering, pestering, intimidating as in three of them constantly attempting to undermine me, etc.

That is harassment.

The question asks a very polite question. It has been twisted by three people repeatedly and that is not acceptable. I have deleted at least 30 comments between them.

1. profile image0

Did we not state our opinions as answers? Are those not allowed?

You think that we harassed you like people are harassed by the police?

I mean the police stop ppl sometimes unjustly and the ppl can't leave. You don't have to ask those questions that will invoke a believer's response.

The synonym is molestation. That is a million times worse than anything we said that might have been offensive because someone is physically harmed, we didn't ridicule or make fun of you. Never have and don't plan too. I took your stance very offensive that you can state but we can't and the censoring of everyone's comments very offensive. It was a one sided almost dictator like question page.

BTW I asked you if it was me and if you say yes then I said I will leave you alone I promise. But I guess it isn't me because you won't let me know. I am just voicing my opinion here.

Hubpages if she reports me and you read this, do you not see that I have a point or that we have a point. She kept preaching her view of atheism across the site and her question was how does an atheist talk to someone who believes in God without causing offense. She didn't want to hear the Christian message and wanted a way to say that. Isn't that hypocritical that she doesn't want to hear a Christian's honest answer but preaches her view against God? Then deletes the Christian based comments. I just feel like that is not what this site is about at all. How can people express. Doesn't that look bad to people who visit the site and see that the authors are deleting answers and comments they just don't like even though they are relevant and not harassing. I suggested maybe stop preaching your views and their views will stop being preached to you, when someone goes out against God, we believe that God will not take that lightly.

Like I said if you really find my pure opinion and honest answer offensive and you think I am harassing you. Then say it and I will not talk to you. But if you report people without asking them or telling them they are bothering you... well that isn't fair. Because honestly I found what you did offensive, but did I report you... no because that is your opinion.

3. Brynn Thorssen profile image84
    Brynn Thorssenposted 8 years ago

Tess tends to post questions and then when the answers don't flow in her favor, she deletes them.  I didn't even know you could do that.  You ask questions to get a discussion going, right?  Because otherwise maybe just stick to writing hubs.

On the contrary, the question was:

How does an Atheist talk to someone who believes in God without causing offence?

You and yours have consistently said I must be the problem because otherwise this would never happen because people who believe in god are so respectful that they would never persist with a topic when one has asked them not to. You have also said that as this is 'happening to me all the time" (which it is NOT),  the fault must be mine because I must be bringing up the topic of religion. You have persisted with that accusation despite the fact that you have no evidence for it.

None of this answers the question. How does one politely, without offence, stop the topic of religion when one has a persistent fundamentalist insisting that one talk about it?

I happen to have made a decision to disconnect from six people during the past six months. I've known all of them for a very long time and it was not an easy decision. During the 20 years I was gone from my home country, they had changed and become people I didn't recognize. I know a lot of people. It's happened with six. How dare you make the assumption that it must be my problem because I must obviously be bringing up the topic all the time? How dare you assume that I only know six people. I know thousands of people. I'm a writer. I connect with people all the time.

This is harassment. it's accusing me of things I am not guilty of without evidence, and it is completely off topic.

And, yes, I do delete responses that are off topic and that insult, harass, badger me, etc. Your right to respond stopped when you decided to make me the guilty party when I asked a polite question.

1. profile image0
        SonOfSkyrim201posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Here's a tip: don't ask questions like

"What do studies show about Atheists that Christians don't know?"

And why not? Someone had just  asked what Christians know that Atheists don't know. I was curious.

Why is it okay for Christians to continually state and ask offensive things to Christians and other religions but the moment one says something that doesn't agree with their perception of their status, it is deemed as offensive?

Read the blurb I wrote with it. I asked for information. I asked for it to be backed by studies. It was not emotive at all.

1. profile image0
            SonOfSkyrim201posted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's not offensive. But clearly you can't deal with a question that provokes people into starting arguments.

Look you keep hammering the hate speech and insults to one particular group. It's against hub rules and commonsense and logic. Hub Rules ok?
            "Hate speech is not free speech"........Einstein. Oops I mean hate speech is not free speech,  "Einstein".

You keep hammering the hate speech that's the reason.

1. Will Apse profile image87
              Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

All this hammering makes it impossible to think.

I don't think Tess got the "Don't talk about politics or religion if you want to keep the peace" memo.

Why don't you post my answer?  The one I wrote about my parents' atheist friend who didn't understand how he couldn't find a like-minded atheist girl in his local church singles group?  The one that spent pretty much every weekend at church looking for a woman and then wondered why he was having trouble finding another atheist!!  Because that is how you were and currently *are acting.

??? Your response was completely off topic. You made assumptions that weren't valid. You're assuming for instance, that I am going to church and, therefore putting myself in a position where I am opening myself to that.

Example:

In Knysna, walking along the road, I was offered a ride by someone. I got in the car, and the first question was (no hello, no greeting, nothing), "Do you believe in God?"

Answer: No, I'm an atheist.

Did she drop the topic? No. She spent the next five minutes preaching to me about god. I got out of the car quite thankfully.

Example:

I meet with someone that I haven't seen for 20 years. She contacted me when she found out that I was back. Two minutes in she starts telling me that she has 'found the lord.' I explain to her gently that I've been there, done that, and am now an atheist, and could we please catch up on other things as I wasn't comfortable with the topic.

Two weeks later, yes, two weeks later, she was still sending me emails everyday, starting off with trying to convince me to return to god. She became more and more offensive until I eventually said 'Goodbye.'

Example.
          I'm with someone I've known for 35 years. She wants me to meet someone. She isn't a Christian whom she says I will like. We go in. I note that his entire room is strewn with biblical literature. I make very sure I don't say anything. I am introduced by my first name only.

He eventually asks me a question. I explain to him that I cannot answer because I have been out of the country for 20 years. A minute or two later, he suddenly tells me and says, "OMG, you are Tessa Schlesinger. I have been looking for your everywhere. Everytime I go to London, I'v searched for you. You have a destiny. You are going to return to God. That is predestined. I know everything about you. You have a destiny - nothing you can do about it. I am never wrong. I know all about you there is to know."

He went on and on and on. I have never met the guy.. I was offended about being told that I would return to god, that I had no choice in the matter, that he knew everything about me. Despite my asking to speak about something else, he wouldn't. He persisted.

I turned to my friend and said "Let's go." She didn't. The guy continued to insist that I was going to return to god, that he knew everything about me.

After another 15 minutes, I got up and left the room. Eventually my friend came and we went home. I was extremely upset.

Did I seek this situation out by going to his home because I knew he was a Christian? Not at all.

My blurb alongside my question was quite clear. You chose to make it my problem, and to make me the guilty one, throughout.

As I only had 250 characters to explain you were on the wrong track, I could only deny it. You persisted, repeating over and over again, that it had to be my fault.

Why would you do that?

Possibly because you cannot believe that religious fundamentalists can be guilty of verbal thuggery, uninvited and unasked for comments, etc.

Accusing people falsely is not endemic to polite conversation.

No, YOU said you were getting into discussions over religion everywhere you go and are deeply upset by this.  I suggested that maybe *you are doing something to provoke these discussions/arguments.  If these threads are indicative of your behavior in real life, then I'm guessing you yourself are causing a lot of the problems in your life (you've lost how many friends lately??).  But you are obviously incapable of identifying your own culpability and if there is anyone in need of introspection, it is YOU.

2. Austinstar profile image83

Asking questions on HP is a valid income producing activity. And we sometimes get ideas for future hubs, collect data for future hubs, meet new hubbers, and maybe even learn something.
      But the religionists answering some of our questions, just get offended by the mere fact that we are "atheists" or agnostics and they start their nonsense arguments back and forth, mostly copying and pasting the same old tired religion arguments, or even copy/pasting bible verses that have nothing whatsoever to do with the question.
      The delete function exists on the Q&A section and can be used by anyone asking a question and receiving a contentious comment.
      If you don't want your comments to be deleted - DON'T ANSWER OR COMMENT WHERE YOU ARE NOT WELCOME TO DO SO! or DON'T LEAVE STUPID COMMENTS!
      it's just that simple, folks.
      Meanwhile, the owner of the question will continue to edit their content as they see fit.

Uh .... just checking but those questions are considered "public" and are open to all members of Hubpages, right?  Or am I wrong about that?  And this is so insanely absurd!  I don't even identify with any religion, and I am certainly not a Christian!  "Religionists?"  What the heckaroo is a religionist??

1. Austinstar profile image83

Sheesh, what do you think "religionist" means? It is anyone that claims to be religious.

Are you acting as "wingman" in this argument ?

You do realize that lumping all people of all religions into one big pile is absurd, right?  I'm sure the Navajo loved being lumped with the Jews.

The casual elimination of free speech (as opposed to hate speech) is a symptom of bigotry and is not conducive to a discussion. It is an indictment against a person to simply eliminate opinions they don't agree with. It isn't scientific or ethical. It is small mindedness.
        I for one have never banned a person from a hub. Hub rules dictate the removal of hate speech not free speech.

That validity becomes invalid when a person hammers hate speech. Check the hub rules. Hate speech is not free speech, "Einstein "

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

I just posted a religion/philosophy question. big_smile

Ok cool I will be right over..

5. RJ Schwartz profile image87
    RJ Schwartzposted 8 years ago

Maybe people take offense to you personally Tesskie - like this tidbit you posted on one of my hubs only today

I'm extremely curious to know what your education level is, if you're mentally ill, if you've ever lived and worked (or even traveled) to anywhere else in the first world. (The military doesn't count.) There is something terribly, terribly wrong with the kind of people who believe the garbage you have written

Don't dish it unless you can take it

1. Oztinato profile image74

RJ
      thanks for letting us all know the truth. Of course certain people won't accept her words as anything but "free speech" when in actual fact such words are classed as hate speech/personal attacks. This is
      often followed by feigned innocence ie moi??

1. PhoenixV profile image63
        PhoenixVposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think I see your point.

2. profile image0

Wow that is harsh RJ. I know you don't believe in God or at least that is what it seems from your posts. However I do respect you as a person.

I woke up this morning to find one of my best Hubs unpublished for Hate Speech - 93 hub score and 400 views in a week, plus it was at the top of the most popular hubs on the main page for a few days.   I feel like a target is painted on my back by the censorship happy Liberals on hubpages - I guess what ever they determine can be judged as hate speech, which by the way is also known as free speech.  So someone didn't like the truth being printed and they get it banned- sounds a bit ominous of another former world leader.
        Wait until my next hub - it's gonna be a doozy

Was the unpublished hub the Hilary hub? I'm reading it as we speak (google cache). smile

No another Hillary hub on why even Democrats hate her

2. PhoenixV profile image63

One of my favorite quotes from a commenter was " You have a mass of poorly educated people who are not fit to vote. "{sic ... according to them.

Perhaps non liberals and Christians should take the same path as the poets and fiction writers.

1. profile image0
            Hxprofposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I dug that comment  A LOT! Fact is, the vast majority of Americans are indeed "poorly educated people who are not fit to vote" because we don't see the WISE ways of Democratic Socialism, and we support capitalism despite the fact that it's fatally flawed.  Well, capitalism itself isn't flawed, but greed has hijacked capitalism, and that greed won't simply dissolve by overthrowing capitalism.  Democratic Socialism itself is flawed because it purports to solve problems that it can't possibly solve.

Democratic Socialism doesn't exist - its a made up term to camouflage socialism.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
                psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yep, as experienced by terrible places like Denmark and New Zealand.

2. profile image0
                Hxprofposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Always wondered about the democratic part.  I guess stealing from those who earned the money in order to create a "more equitable society" is justified if we call it democratic?

Sorry to break this too you but all HP moderators are atheists. The fair minded good type of atheist not the obsessive hate filled type. No names mentioned of course.
          "Hate speech is not free speech".......Einstein

1. profile image0

So none of them believe in God?

Of course they do, His name is Google.

Sorry, couldn't pass that one up. big_smile

Check out their profiles: not one commits to any religion. Just decent atheists doing their job and taking out the trashy athiests on HP. No names of course!

4. Jodah profile image91
          Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I can't wait to read it RJ

What do you think about that Jodah?

1. Jodah profile image91

What do I think about what, PhoenixV?

About what happened to Rj

1. Jodah profile image91

I haven't read the hub but it sounds like a tough and unfair call. Some people seem to have the power to have others comments or hubs removed with just one complaint, others can complain until they are blue in the face and be ignored. It doesn't seem a fair playing field. We are all entitled to our opinion even if we don't agree.

You mean like someone comes along with a broom and dustpan and cleans up for some, while others get a club? Kind of like that?

You can search RJ's activity and see the hub title and then websearch the title or link I guess and view it cached.

5. PhoenixV profile image63

Interesting.

3. PhoenixV profile image63

Is this a copy and past verbatim?

6. Dolores Monet profile image94
    Dolores Monetposted 8 years ago

I am sick to death of HP's landing page that is often just a long list of atheists and Christians insulting one another. It makes it look like the whole site is nothing but bickering about God. The Q & A section is a waste of time and serves no purpose but to make HP look like a bunch of nuts.

1. Oztinato profile image74

What's HP landing page?
      If you don't list religion as one of your interests you won't get religious hubs.
      Religion is a vitally important topic and it urgently needs to be defended from negative misinformation published by obsessed cliques.

+2

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
          Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Every member of HP sees the "Hot" questions on the landing page, regardless of what topics they follow. The landing page is what you will see if you click HubPages in the header at the top left of your screen.

1. profile image0

Thats what I thought

You mean the "home page" right?

+1

3. profile image0

True I was guilty of that but had to stop just too much fighting. I just made a q&a asking the same question you just posed Dolores.

4. KarenHC profile image79
        KarenHCposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree whole-heartedly!  Luckily the landing page for people not signed into Hubpages looks more professional and civilized, with a link to a few representative good quality hubs. 

It's just when we're signed in and go to the landing page we are shown the links to the incredibly distasteful Q & A topics that are currently "popular".

1. Dolores Monet profile image94
          Dolores Monetposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I realize that. But if a person decides to join HP then finds all this religious stuff, they may think that the site has a religious bent. Not that I am against religion or religious discussion but I find the continuous bickering distasteful. People can become, as we see in the above discussion, quite nasty. And nasty is not attractive to most people.

1. KarenHC profile image79
            KarenHCposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I do agree -- "nasty is not attractive to most people".   And the ugly bickering has really changed my perception about some of the people on this site.   I'd be worried about the tone of the site in general if I were new here.

You mean all the nasty anti christian stuff, right?

3. PhoenixV profile image63

If some people think its just a magic book with a FSM in it, why would it be a cause for contention for them anyway Dolores?  You believe in an FSM Dolores?

2. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

And sometimes people are just called haters because they say hateful things.

1. Sgt Prepper profile image61
        Sgt Prepperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Like Kelly LeBrock once said "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful!"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)