A Clear Path to Publication on the Niche Sites

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Will Apse profile image86
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

Few people like writing more in hope than expectation. And everybody hates not knowing why they fail (if they do). So, for what it's worth, here is a suggestion for a publication pathway that people could have some confidence in.

Pretty much all of this could be automated, with feedback to writers throughout.

1. Publish on HP

2. QAP. Move to next stage if score of 8 or over, tell the under-eights to improve their page

3. Consideration for Niche Sites should involve:

Checking page covers a subject not already covered
    Checking pics for attribution
    A copyscape test (or similar) to make sure page is at least as original as the rest of the niche
    A quick check to ensure title relates to content

There should be no affiliate links on info-type pages and no self-serving links of any kind

Writers should know why pages are rejected (and can try fixing them and resubmitting at least once)

4. Pages that Pass get a Trial Publication

No traffic = rejection from trial
    Poor dwell times = rejection from trial

Tell the writer how the page is performing in the trial from time to time. If page is rejected ultimately, tell them why. If page is marginal tell writer to improve it and trial again.

5. Full time Spot on Niche Site

Glory to those who succeed. Learning opportunities, for those who do not.

Oh yeah, make a new accolade. 'Niche Ninja', maybe. Or 'Vizier of the Vertical' Or 'He Who Spots a Gap".

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

I like it

3. Jesse Drzal profile image91
    Jesse Drzalposted 8 years ago

Not sure they will do a trial period on niche. HP stated that low traffic hubs would not hurt the sites. Just seems like much more time and effort. Are you talking a personal Hubscore of 80? Or a score of 80 for the article?

Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

A page can get low traffic for a lot of reasons and all of them make me wary. One is that people hate the page and click away fast. Google is pretty good at working out when this happens. You don't want to keep too many pages of that kind.

Dwell times should tell you if readers approve or not but they won't tell you if the page is triggering some kind of spam filter and being buried as a consequence.

I wouldn't be too dogmatic about any of this, though. Except for the transparency bit. People need a process that demonstrably rewards hard work and ability.

4. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 8 years ago

I agree with most of this. Maybe not the part about trial publication, but the rest of it.

Based on my own traffic to pages that have moved, I am pretty convinced that HP is onto something really good with the niche sites.

However, my traffic to pages that haven't been moved continues to struggle. The path forward seems very clear. To do well here, a Hub needs to be chosen for a niche site.

Unfortunately, in some cases it it hard to see why one page was moved and another was left behind. This makes it tough to justify writing new content for HubPages.

Spending six hours on a Hub only to have it rejected for a niche site amounts to a colossal waste of time.

Unless HP comes up with a solid plan for content left behind.

Back when we had subdomains I felt like I had a reasonable chance of success based on my own actions and decisions. Now, any success seems contingent upon your Hub getting chosen for a niche site.

So, a little more transparency about the process would be very welcome. Some feedback when possible. Up until now the directions have been very vague, and the process occasionally seems arbitrary, or at least based on the whim of whatever staff members looks at your Hub.

All new or edited Hubs should get a thumbs up/thumbs down within a reasonable time period, so Hubbers can either improve them or move them elsewhere.

This is most optimistic I've felt about HubPages since before the Squid merger. But there are still some important details to iron out to get things back something like the way they were.

That's my opinion anyway.

Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

One reason I would favor a trial publication is that I think that every page that is original, reads well and gets a good QAP, score deserves a chance in a Panda-free environment. But it is not good idea to fill up a site with redundant pages. Dwell times and traffic will tell you where the dead wood is.

I have deleted a lot of pages that did not live up to readers' expectations and I would recommend other people to do the same.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Attribution is a real sticking point.  HP has stated that they do not check for this and cannot control it.  As a result, a fair number of writers consistently steal and use photos without permission.  This puts the entire site at risk, even though the writer doing it is to blame.

Nothing galls me more than to see hubs with gorgeous, professionally done photos that I know are stolen, while I spend time finding and editing legal photos (or photographing my own pics, etc.).  The team has clearly stated that they are unable to challenge  these because they cannot prove people are using illegal photos and they don't have the manpower to do it.

And while we're on the subject,  it is also irritating to see hubs getting tons of views that are nothing more than spun content with professional photos attached.  Usually you see this with travel hubs, movie reviews and the like.

As a former teacher, I have to say that I always have had a distaste for cheaters and liars, and these types of behaviors fall into that category.

They may not hurt my own views, but watching them earn when so many others here are trying to do things the right way and are struggling really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

5. Will Apse profile image86
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

A lot of reputable sites these days use screenshots from YouTube vids if no other pics are available. I suppose they are hoping to be protected by 'fair use'. They usually give a link to the vid.

I might start doing this but not here, lol.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)