Getting noticed and posting content elsewhere.....

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Adam Harkus profile image60
    Adam Harkusposted 7 years ago

I've been approached by a number of specialized sites regarding a number of my articles on Guitar product reviews.

Obviously I was quite proud and humbled to be even considered to write content for these sites, some of which are huge, but all I'm getting in return is a back-link to my hubpages account, which isn't generating that much traffic.

Of course now I'm thinking that the content will found on the external site first, rather than hubpages, which will actually hurt my traffic overall.

On the other hand though, I would have regretted it if I had of turn them down.

What would you do?

1. relache profile image71
      relacheposted 7 years agoin reply to this

In short, stop writing for free.

The guitar sites contacted you with the goal of getting content without paying for it.  Which they seem to have achieved.

What was your intent and goal in writing for the guitar sites?  Did you research or otherwise investigate if you could achieve your goal from the interaction?

Because you are in the UK, all the usual rules and regulations I know and would follow don't apply to you, because you are not governed by the same web regulations as we are in the USA.  You need to learn what recourse your web governing body has established and what procedures you need to follow.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I had a similar situation awhile back and was even offered a fair amount of money for my article.  I refused.  It was my most popular and biggest earning article that now has 86,000 views.  I would never allow anybody else to publish it because when I do, I lose total control, but my name stays on the article.

It's flattering, but it's not worth it. 

It really irritates me when these big shots try to steal work from writers.  That alone would make me say no.

3. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't write anything for free unless it was for a charitable cause. You are a writer, so be a professional writer.

I would ask them to unpublish your work as you have reconsidered. Should they wish to keep it, then work out your price/per hourly rate.

4. profile image0
      promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Did either of you sign a letter of agreement? Did you state how long he could post your article or did you say he could post it forever?

You own the copyright. It is your article. You have legal rights about its use. If you didn't sign an agreement or say in writing anything about how long he could use it, I would follow up with him and ask for the following:

I would let him continue to use it for free if I received a "dofollow" backlink that has SEO value for your site. Although it's nice to get audience from the links, the dofollow backlink can have value greater than a payment because it potentially increases the search engine audience for your site.

If they agree to dofollow, have them sign a letter of agreement stating their publication rights and requiring them to remove the article if they change dofollow to nofollow. You can find plenty of contract templates online. Also, make sure any article used by someone else has your byline.

Just to sweeten the pot, you might offer to write another article or two. If he refuses to cooperate, file a DMCA complaint against his hosting service.

http://www.whoishostingthis.com/resources/dmca/

For future reference, always use a dated and signed contract / letter of agreement on any reuse of content.

Been there and done it many times.

1. relache profile image71
        relacheposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Unless the Hub author is a US citizen, and the sites he gave his articles to are USA-based, filing a DMCA complaint does not carry any legal validity.

1. profile image0
          promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Good to know. Then he should review the copyright laws in his own country and try to negotiate a better deal with a letter of agreement.

2. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 7 years ago

I would never, ever, let a website republish one of my Hubs only for a link in return. I don't care who they are. By reusing your content and not compensating you a website is basically getting free content. It sounds like they are doing you a favor with the link, but they are not. Why would anyone follow the link to your original Hub when they could read it on the other site? Unless they are giving you a byline and sending people to your profile here on HP. Even so, meh.

I am not suggesting they are intentionally taking advantage of you. Maybe they are, or maybe not. But this arrangement certainly does not seem to be in your best interest. If a website likes your content they can either link to your original content with a short teaser, or pay you to write more content for them.

Or, they could make an offer on your current content. You could sell them the Hub and remove it from HubPages. However, I have many Hubs that have earned far more here on HP than any website would have been willing to pay for them upfront. I'm not so sure I'd even do that.

Remember that your Hubs are an asset of sorts. They don't just earn money now, but for years to come. By letting someone have them for nothing (a link is nothing) your are shooting yourself in the foot. It's bad enough people steal our content left and right.

So, that's what I'd do. Of course it is your content, and you can do whatever you want. smile

3. Adam Harkus profile image60

I take it then, legally, I can get them to take the content down ?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If you never gave them permission, yes.

If you did give permission just chalk it down to a learning experience.

4. Adam Harkus profile image60

I really hoped even a link from such a site would reap reward, looks like I was sadly mistaken

1. EricDockett profile image97
      EricDockettposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Adam, did they re-post your HP content or did you write original content for them? I'm a little confused.

Always beware of bloggers and site owners who think they are doing you a favor by re-posting your Hubs and linking to you. In some cases they really do have good intentions and think they are "getting you more exposure" and "sharing your content" so more people read it.

I usually send a polite email telling them thanks, but I'd rather they not re-post my content. Sharing a link is fine. Almost always they are cool about it, because normal people who care about their websites really don't intend to screw over other content creators. Sometimes they just don't know.

In this case you have already given them permission. You can ask them to take it down and hopefully they will. If not, I don't know where you go from here from a legal POV.

Adam Harkusposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I had my orignal HP content "Re-purposed". I.e. they edited a little and included more pics, but basically it's my content.  I've already messaged him to politely take it down.

1. EricDockett profile image97
          EricDockettposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Ugh. Sounds like you've been HubPro'd by another website!

Nobody HubPros me but HubPages. NOBODY!  smile

Good luck. I hope they comply. Whatever happens, chalk it up to a lesson learned and move forward.

Absolutely,  fingers crossed eh?

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
            TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

"Nobody puts Baby in a corner...NOBODY!"  (from Dirty Dancing)

3. lobobrandon profile image87
            lobobrandonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

HubPro'd haha. Made me laugh. I agree with everyone too, I'd never let them republish a hub or any other piece of content written by me. Everyone learns through mistakes. Hope they take it down. Good luck.

5. Adam Harkus profile image60

Does anyone have a different view ?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No, I agree with everyone else.

Never ever let another site use an entire Hub in exchange for a link.

A backlink is valuable IF all they're doing is quoting the first few paragraphs and linking to your Hub so people can read the rest. 

However, if it's the entire article then it can do more harm than good.  If it's a large, reputable site, their copy of the article will outrank your Hub and steal your traffic - so as well as not being paid, you'll lose income on your Hub.

Since you already agreed to let them publish them, all you can really do is write and say you're withdrawing your consent, and hope they'll remove them.

2. Sharlee01 profile image80
      Sharlee01posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Adam, I have a different view.  It never hurts to have other "larger respectable website" have backlinks to your articles. This might offers you a chance to get a bit of traffic. It depends on the  website you are dealing. If the website has a specific niche, and your articles fits that niche, you most likely will get some traffic via your back-link. Extra traffic couldn't hurt. It might benefit you more if you require  the site to  add the backlink to your profile page, this could work to promote all your Hubpage articles. When posting articles at another website make sure that your articles aren't copied word for word, the articles could produce duplicate content.  If you feel the articles that you supplied this site are going to be considered duplicate content, ask them to remove the articles, and offer to re-write new articles. You may want to also consider selling newly written articles to the website in question that will not contain your name. if you are in fear of unwanted changes to the articles you have submitted. It's just my opinion but I don't think it hurts to consider other writing opportunities.

I was really excited about it, and humbled, that such large web-resource site would consider my work, so there was no way I was ever going to turn down the opportunity.  If my traffic had seen a significant boost there would have been no problem. All I was offered though was a link back to my HP profile at the end of the article which hasn't done a lot. Duplicate content is not a problem as they have ways and means around that.

No, duplicate content is not a problem FOR THEM because there is only one problem with duplicate content:  Google will look at the various copies, choose ONE and ignore the rest. 

The problem for you is that because that other site is more reputable in the guitar world than yours, it's their copy which will be adopted by Google and your Hub that will be ignored!

A case of 'Curiosity killed the cat' I think here...

Anyway, I've now asked for it to be taken down. Apparently this will also hurt me as the link will be broken for 45 days... apparently.

6. Millionaire Tips profile image93
    Millionaire Tipsposted 7 years ago

I agree with the others that you shouldn't give your work away for free.  But I do have some instances where I would.  If there is a site that gets a lot of traffic,and they let me write up a short blurb that pretty much serves as advertising to my hub, website or blog, veiled or otherwise, then I don't mind spending a few minutes of my time to write this blurb.  But the site must already be proven to have lots of traffic,b e reputable, etc.

7. Adam Harkus profile image60

It's a very high traffic site, but all I'm getting in return is a link to my hub profile at the very bottom of the article. It's just not generating enough payback.

It can't possibly generate any payback, because the reader is able to read the entire article on that site - they've got no incentive to click on the link.  Plus like I said, it is probably causing Google to ignore the Hub and give the other copy preference.

It would be different if you had written a NEW article for that site, with a link to more of your articles on guitars - then it can be valuable.

I've had a change of heart and will keep the site up (If they'll let me), as I'll never get the opportunity again. It's only a newish hub with not a lot of traffic anyway so I have nothing to lose. Of course I won't publish more content elsewhere in the meantime. I see this an experiment.

8. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 7 years ago

In terms of content:
    * having somebody else link to your site is a good thing
    * having somebody else take your content, repurpose it and add a few more images in is not a good thing - UNLESS you agreed to take down your content and they pay you a fee commensurate with its value

People who publishing in a "proper way" never ever want your original content to be still live on the web. I have to sign agreements saying that the content I write for published magazine articles and books has not appeared anywhere else i.e they want original.

Those who want good content for their site do what these people have done to you - which is basically rolled you over and shaken out your pockets and wallet - for the sake of a link.

I link to other people's articles all the time - but I introduce them and say why they are good and then leave others to visit the original content on the site of the author. They write and I curate and create compendiums of links to great sites with great info. plus add in my own original content. Works for me - and the people I link to.

You've just swung me the other way again (so to speak) !

1. makingamark profile image69
        makingamarkposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Glad to be of some help!

Look at it another way - if you're writing good content then why not write on your own niche site. Then use that as marketing and charge proper fees for others to licence more of your your content eg in print articles. i.e. don't give everything away online. Think about the income stream and think about the pathways for marketing it.

If you just want something simple then I guess a Hubpages niche site might well work for you. If you have more ambitions then start developing a plan...

The deed is done. Content has been removed. Not before getting a lecture on 'why it's good to share' etc though !

1. makingamark profile image69
            makingamarkposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well done

Next step - licking it into shape and then asking Guitar Magazines and/or other websites whether they might be interested in an article!

Plus polishing up an invoice to remind you your work has value.... smile

Lesson well and truly learned. I think I let me ego get the better of me there!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)