jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Donate earnings at Hubpages to various charities

1. jackclee lm profile image77
    jackclee lmposted 11 months ago

I was one of the lensmasters at Squidoo and part of my attraction to Squidoo was the ability to donate my earnings to some charities of my choosing. Now that I have transitioned to being a hubber, I was wondering if Hubpages could implement the same process. It would make a great promotion item for Hubpages and perhaps attract more hubbers. It definitely will benefit charities with a new source of income. Thanks.

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 11 months ago in reply to this

Because HubPages was started just after Squidoo began, they have been asked this question since the beginning of the company.

Their answer, for more than nine years, has been that you can donate your earnings wherever you want, but they are never going to build such a feature into the site.

jackclee lmposted 11 months ago in reply to this

Thanks for the info. Just offering some ideas to help. HubPages are loosing hubbers and traffic and ranking ever since the merge with Squidoo. If an idea has merit, why not pursue it? As I said, it can be used as a promotional ploy to attract new writers.

2. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 11 months ago

Do you mean, you can earn something worthy of donating to charities?
    I don't know even if I can earn my first 100 dollars in 5 years.

I did better at Squidoo and was able to make $100 per year for 6 years for my charity. Sorry to hear Hubpages is not so generous or as productive.

3. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 11 months ago

Jack, HubPages was losing writers, traffic and ranking for three years before they decided to buy a chunk of their former largest rival, who was going out of business at the time.

Taking on that chunk of low-value content from Squidoo is what hurt HubPages, not that they were lacking an in-house donation management system.

If that's the case, why did Hubpages bought out Squidoo? I was under the impression they were consolidating to even out the competition. It sounds like Hubpages is in no better shape than Squidoo.

2. NateB11 profile image93
      NateB11posted 11 months ago in reply to this

+1

I accept that explanation on the charity front but it doesn't make sense to blame the troubles at Hubpages on Squidoo merge. Especially if you claim they were loosing writers 3 years prior.

working