jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

AdSense CTR

1. belief713 profile image78
    belief713posted 8 years ago

I know we're not supposed to discuss AdSense CTR and earnings together (if I understand correctly), so I will do my best not to. If someone can help by clarifying the fine lines of this rule, please do.

Basically, the reason for this post is I've noticed a few of my Hubs have pretty decent CTR (click through rate) ranging from <snipped>! And the CPC (cost per click) is not bad either. Except, I can't figure out how or where these clicks are coming from?!

Can someone knowledgeable on the subject clear something up for me? When AdSense ads are displayed on your page, are they optimized for the content found on your page or optimized for the phrase that was used to find your content? Hope that made sense, if not, let me know - I can elaborate.

As of late, while I am publishing some new content, my focus is to drive more traffic to my better performing Hubs rather than spend time creating new ones. This should increase my earnings, but I have to figure out which keywords are being used to find my Hubs (which I do with Analytics) and which method of madness Google uses to display ads.

2. girly_girl09 profile image75
    girly_girl09posted 8 years ago

Adsense is only optimized for the words and content on your page. I'm quite certain of that.

Congrats on your high percentage of CTR! Mine is super low right now, although I did just start. smile

3. charlemont profile image84
    charlemontposted 8 years ago

As far as I know, Google AdSense picks up ads to display using a number of criteria:
    1. URL of the web page;
    2. Titles inside the text (it's good when titles contain keywords);
    3. Bolded/italicized keywords;
    4. ALT tags in images;
    5. Anchor text in outgoing links;
    6. Hub tags;
    7. Lots other things.
    It's quite possible your high-CTR hubs do have these factors well optimized, hence the value of clicks you receive. Your ads are relevant to the readership, and traffic comes from quality sources.
    I have a couple of hubs optimized around well-researched keywords, and these hubs maintain consistently high CTR and eCPM. I guess the higher CTR is, the more each click earns.
    So it pays off to do a bit of research before writing a hub.

1. belief713 profile image78
      belief713posted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thank you both for your responses. The reason I was wondering is because if HubPages start showing irrelevant ads, it makes me worry that our AdSense accounts could get smart priced, although I highly doubt it.

Not all of my CTR is that high, only for certain Hubs. A lot of mine are low also, in the 3-4% range on average.

That, I don't think, is true. What each click earns you can get an idea of from the AdWords tool. The amount you get per click is mostly based around ad placement (where the ad was they clicked - I remember just reading this in another forum post) and how high the competition bids on a set of keywords.

1. girly_girl09 profile image75
        girly_girl09posted 8 years ago in reply to this

Not all of my CTR is that high, only for certain Hubs. A lot of mine are low also, in the <snipped>% range on average.

Thanks, belief. That gives me some hope! smile Although at this point, google is no longer telling me how many clicks that I have, which is really weird. It shows me my earnings but that is it. It says the clicks are at zero but obviously that is impossible.

1. Misha profile image76
          Mishaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

It is possible smile Some ads are paid for on CPI basis smile

1. girly_girl09 profile image75
            girly_girl09posted 8 years ago in reply to this

That's pretty cool; didn't know that! Although, I know for certain that I've had some clicks, as it said so the other day. Now it shows zero clicks anywhere I've looked (cumulative history, day's history, yesterday's history) but my earnings have gone up. Weird! Oh well, as long as I'm earning!

working