jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

learn english

1. siftlibra profile image61
    siftlibraposted 7 years ago

i'm a chinese girl who are struggling for learning english,here i want to find someone who can tell me how can i improve my oral english,and what's your oppinions on the phenomenon that so many chinese are learning enlish now?

1. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Well, that's hardly a recent phenomenon.

2. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

China is getting popular to doing business with for the Western nations but they mainly speak English. As for improving your own english, I think the best start is by reading books. You will see the many nuances of the language. Get books in different categories, science, humor, action, ...it will increase your exposure and familiarity. That's the best I can offer aside from joining a classroom. hmm smile hope that helps.

3. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

Our languages are so different I can't ever imagine my learning to speak Chinese, and I admire anyone from China who is able to learn English (as you already have).

I wonder if it would help some if you read books, written in English, but aimed at your readers (perhaps sixth or seventh grade level books).  Or, I wonder if watching something like television programs, movies, DVD's or YouTube videos aimed at children would help.  I can see that you already know English, but I'm wondering if some more exposure to simple English (aimed at children of about ten or twelve) would be a good way to pick up on some the smaller, basic, things.

1. JamaGenee profile image88
      JamaGeneeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Great idea, Lisa!  Reading books might help with writing correct sentence structure and such, but not much with speaking English fluently.  Better to hear (and see) it used in simple conversations aimed at 10 and 12 year olds. cool

Actually, children's material is not a good idea for adult learners.

1. Lisa HW profile image84
          Lisa HWposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'm not necessarily disputing what you've said, since I'm assuming you may have more knowledge about this than I do.  I'm wondering, though, if you may want let others know why it is that the more basic English used in material aimed at middle-school-aged kids would not offer a simple "framework" in how the language in used?  (Just a note, I'm talking about well written material aimed at young readers, not material that disregards proper use of the language and, instead, uses things like "popular kids' slang.)

2. siftlibra profile image61
      siftlibraposted 7 years ago in reply to this

actually,i think chinese is one of the most beautiful languages in the world although it is considered as the hardest language to learn.i love enlish too,so i spend lots of time listening to CNN and watching enlish movies (i really enjoy the movie (HSM).these days i'm reading the novel "the kite runner",i should admit that it's the most wonderful book written by a foreigner i have ever read.
      i decided to learn French next year.hope i can enjoy it~

4. 59
    Motherhood Trialsposted 7 years ago

If you are in the U.S. There are tapes and dvd's available at the libraries you can check out for free and listen to them in your car or at home. Also you may want to concider a program such as Roseetta Stone (not sure about the exact spelling but that is very close I believe) You could google it on line and get all the information about it first hand. I have heard alot of good reports about their products and some schools here even use them for teaching other languages such as spanish and others.

5. 0
    shreekrishnaposted 7 years ago

writing books is a good way,

i have learned much from reading & writing books ,

but i also want to improve my english ,
    is there is any internet resource for improving grammer.

Improving your speaking and listening will help with your grammar, but writing with proper feedback is your best bet.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

The best way to learn to write well in any language is to read as much good writing in that language as you can.

1. siftlibra profile image61
      siftlibraposted 7 years ago in reply to this

i'm reading "the kite runner" these days,and i love it very much.a wonderful book

7. bgpappa profile image82
    bgpappaposted 7 years ago

Not an expert by any means, but I would think reading newspapers and magazines would help with learning conversational English.  Not as structured as a book, plus all the cool buzzwords.  Just a thought.

8. forlan profile image61
    forlanposted 7 years ago

you can visit www.englishforums.com. it is free.