photo albums in HubPages

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (24 posts)
  1. VirginiaLynne profile image92
    VirginiaLynneposted 7 years ago

Hi--I want to reorganize my photos in my HubPages albums and since only a few of the albums pop up when I want to use them, I'd like to delete some and rename others.  Unfortunately, I can't find any information on how to do that.  Does anyone have some help?  I end up uploading the same pictures again because it is so hard to find the one I want.

1. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Go to My Account and choose Photos.  This will take you to all your images.  Hover over a picture and you will be given the opportunity to delete it etc., below that you will have the opportunity to rename or put a photo into an album.

1. profile image0
        RTalloniposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Mine only show about 30 photos and there is not a clear indication of how to see the remainder.  In the past, selecting oldest still only showed the last 30ish. How to see the middle ones is a mystery to me.  Good thing I like a good mystery… smile

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
          Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

RTalloni, The image galley displays only 30 at a time. But when you scroll down to the bottom with your browser it will display The next 30 images. If you're having trouble with that, try forcing the scroll down farther by dragging your mouse. If you're still having trouble, try a different browser. Maybe the one you're using is causing trouble advancing to fill the page.  While we're at it, what browser are you using?

1. profile image0

Thanks much but scrolling does not get me more than the 30.  I'll check on the browser stuff and such.  It's Safari.  I probably need to take a class or something…

That's strange. I use Safari too. And when I scroll past the bottom, another 30 images appear.  Then when I scroll past that bottom, the next 30 images appear. It continues until I reach the end of all my images.

Do you have your Safari up-to-date?

How are you scrolling? Try using the scrollbar on the right side.

1. profile image0

Yes, that's the way it used to work.  The sidebar does not help, but I'll keep checking on possible solutions.

I just tested it again. It works both ways. Scrolling down or pulling the sidebar down. Either way, it keeps filling in the additional images to the bottom until I reach the end of all my images.

You didn't say if you had been keeping your browser up to date.

1. profile image0

Yes. The regular updates are important.

2. profile image0

Well, I again went to the oldest and tried the scrolling just now, hoping something had changed somehow, and the scrolling worked. It took a few tries so maybe they were loading or something. Then I switched to newest and it worked.  Who knows…I'll just be glad.  Thanks for offering to help.

2. VirginiaLynne profile image92
        VirginiaLynneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks sally--I do know how to do this with the individual photos, but I have probably 1000 photos uploaded and I want to be able to edit the albums and not just the individual photos.  I can't see a way to do that and so maybe it isn't possible.  I write on more than just 7 topics, but only 7 album title come up when I want to look at what I have.  Unfortunately, the ones I use the most aren't the top 7 alphabetically.  I want to delete a couple of those albums and rename the albums so that the ones I use come up.

3. kenneth avery profile image80
        kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

sallybea,
        I am now glad that I landed on this page that was on my Yahoo News comments. You not only helped VirginiaLynne, but me as well.
        Thanks, sally!

2. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago

Virginia, In addition to what sallybea said about naming and renaming albums, here's what you do to use the albums:

When you upload a new photo to an image capsule, you can specify the album you want to place it in. You can assign it to any existing album or enter a new name for a new album.

The when you want to reuse an image, click "my photos" in the image capsule and select the album.  I noticed that sometimes not all the albums appear in the drop down list. But all you have to do is type the name and it will show all the images in that album.

Unfortunately, there is no way to view ONLY a certain album in your photo gallery. So if you have a tremendous number of images and you want to edit just a selected album, I don't see how that can be done.

Thanks Glenn--I have done this and was afraid there wasn't a way to do what I want.  The time it takes to find images under the current system just makes it not worthwhile.  So I guess I'll just upload them again each time.  Maybe they will fix this at some point.

Virginia, Are you talking about maintaining the galley or finding images when creating a new image capsule?

I go crazy too when I know I want to use one of my images again. So I open two tabs on my browser. In one tab I'm in edit mode on the new hub. In the other tab I'm in the photo galley. Then when I want to find a specific photo to reuse, I quickly scroll to visually scan my images. I usually eyeball the one I want that way. Then I name it to a temporary album if not already in one.  Finally, I go back to my new hub editing tab, add the appropriate image capsule, specify the album I just placed the image in, and  there it is.

Hey Glen--that is a good idea.  I may just try that technique.

2. sallybea profile image94

Glen, perhaps you could answer a question for me about our images.  If I were to delete an images from  the gallery which is currently being shown in a hub, would I end up with a blank space in my hub?   I know it is a stupid question but I have often wondered about this but not had the courage to try it out.

It's not a stupid question at all Sally.  I've been wondering about that too. So I tried it. The file of the image remains in HubPages' database. It is only removed from your gallery. If you saved the URL before deleting the image from your gallery then you still have access to it. It just won't show up anymore in a search. If you had it in a capsule, it will continue to display in the hub. I tested that.

But note: At least that's how it is at this time. Who knows if they will ever change it to actually delete images physically if not in any gallery. They may decide to do that someday if space management becomes an issue.

That is interesting, thank you very much Glenn.
          I think about this quite a lot because I have a lot of images in my folders, most of which are very unorganised and when I think about moving a hub, elsewhere, this is more daunting aspect for me to deal with than the text.  It would be nice if I could copy all the images from the folder back to a storage device but then there is the question, are those stored on HubPages the original size or are they smaller versions of the original?

When I check the URL of the saved image it looks like the original size. Try it. Choose a large image you have in your image gallery. Right-click and copy the URL. Then open the file via the URL and check it's size/pixil dimensions.

Thanks for this question sally and the answer Glen.  As HubPages is moving to the niche sites, I'm thinking that some of my work may not fit any of the sites and I'm wondering if I should move it elsewhere.  I agree with sally that moving the photos is the most daunting part.  I hope this discussion will help other people too.

VirginiaLynne,
                Glad you found this discussion helpful.  I realise that my problem with my own images has been brought on by myself.   I should keep them in a more orderly way on my own computer and not rely on HubPages but there you have it, we learn from our mistakes:)

2. sallybea profile image94

That is a good idea Glen, thank you, I will try that.  I have always known how to check my own images on my computer but not those via the URL.  One learns something new everyday, wonderful:)  Your help is much appreciated.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)