jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What happened with stat

1. thecounterpunch profile image58
    thecounterpunchposted 8 years ago

I have for this post I just finish to write (http://hubpages.com/hub/Philip-Dru-Admi … FR-Founder ) a stat that was saying 30 visits and all of a sudden in a few minutes it jumped to 70 which I doubt because I have never reached 70 visits from Hubpages just in a few minutes.

Did this already happen to someone ? Isn't it a bug smile

Also is Google Analytics really reliable ?
    For example according to Google someone used "how to make christmas parol" to find:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Astonishing_Int … ockefeller

??? I don't talk about Christmas parol at all big_smile

1. pauldeeds profile image
      pauldeedsposted 8 years ago in reply to this

The stats are updated hourly, so it isn't that unusual to see a jump like that.  I believe the numbers are accurate.

I think that is showing that someone came from google to HubPages with that search, and then eventually landed on your hub after navigating around the site.  They  probably came in to this hub originally.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Parol---Filipin … s-Lantern-

In my experience analytics is very reliable, but because we only place your analytics id on your pages within HubPages some of the more advanced things you can do with analytics won't make sense.   In normal use, you'd put the analytics tracking on to every page of the site .

2. perfumer profile image61
    perfumerposted 8 years ago

Hi thecounterpunch,
    Several days ago the number of traffic from hubpages.com to my hubs was zero for
    2 days which didn't sound right to me either. I am sure this is due to some kind bug.
    But Bigdog Google is having memory problems like this?- Hard to believe...

thecounterpunchposted 8 years ago in reply to this

zero ? It never happens to me. In fact even when my hub hasn't been published yet, it shows traffic on it which I also find strange: this doesn't make easy to distinguish between real and fantasy traffic.

3. caspar profile image83
    casparposted 8 years ago

Remember that your own visits to your hub (to edit, check stats etc.) are counted.  In a way I'd like to exclude my own visits, but then again I'd rather have it showing as 20 visits (from me) than zero, then I can kid myself I'm getting visitors even if I'm not!

thecounterpunchposted 8 years ago in reply to this

It would be better to exclude one's own traffic when one has logged, the traffic should be discarded from stats, this is technically feasible.

4. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

It is feasible, but we choose not to do it for a couple of reasons:

1. If we changed it retroactively everyone's stats would go down which would foment silent confusion and a bombardment of questions.  If we only changed it for stats going forward it would make for an unfair comparison between old data new data.

2. Hub views are one of the factors in HubScore.  Viewing your own hub frequently indicates that you are paying attention to it, which is something that "drive by" spammers rarely do.  We're happy to provide a little HubScore lift for people that care enough about their hubs to revisit them.

That's our reasoning any way.