jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Hub Scores

1. tjlajoie profile image84
    tjlajoieposted 5 months ago

Perhaps I am over thinking this but I need to ask.  How are "scores" calculated? How does a Hub that has been nearly 500 times score 10 points lower than a Hub that has been read only 90 times?  Anyone has any thoughts?  Thanks!

1. Kylyssa profile image95
      Kylyssaposted 5 months ago in reply to this

The score is calculated using a combination of things. One of those things is an algorithm that uses variables we, as users, don't know and won't get to know. It also uses data from human beings hired through Amazon Turk who read and assess the hub, probably using criteria similar to that used in the hub-hopper system. Try hopping some hubs and you'll get a feel for how that works.

Views were reduced in importance because a good piece of quality writing is still a good piece of quality writing even when it isn't getting views.

One thing to note is that hubscores are not equivalent to grades in school. If you think of them as school grades you'll drive yourself batty. A hub can have a score of 100 and drop to the eighties overnight without changes to it. A grade of eighty-something is a poor one in school but it's actually OK as a hubscore.

If you concern yourself with writing the best quality content you can that is intended to please your human readers, you need not concern yourself with hubscore.

2. Shyron E Shenko profile image85
      Shyron E Shenkoposted 5 months ago in reply to this

I believe that hubs are evaluated by readers hired by HP who evaluate our hubs according to how they like/dislike our work, and instead of encouraging us Hubbers, they say with the score yes I like it/no I don't like it.

3. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 5 months ago in reply to this

Kylyssa's explanation is excellent. I couldn't have said it better. smile

1. sallybea profile image96
        sallybeaposted 5 months ago in reply to this

I would like to know what the long term plan is regarding Hub Scores. I notice that as hubs are moved to the niche sites our average scores are dropping on the 'mother site' leaving us with two completely different scores!

2. Anna Marie Bowman profile image94
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 5 months ago

I stopped paying much attention to Hubscores or Hubber Scores a long time ago.  Unless the score is really low, they don't matter all that much.

3. tjlajoie profile image84
    tjlajoieposted 5 months ago

Good info, all...and thanks for your input. I guess I was curious because scores seem to fluctuate day to day, even if they are/are not read.  It makes it hard to evaluate the quality/response to hubs with such uncertainty and ambiguity.