jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Corrections in comments are useless

1. lone77star profile image90
    lone77starposted 15 months ago

I love all the extras HubPages has added to make managing the hubs easier. One that needs fixing is the "corrections" feature.
    http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13017860.jpg

Showing spelling errors in visitor comments does not help at all. Please have the programming skip visitor comments in corrections shown. I cannot edit their comments (and likely wouldn't want to).

1. lobobrandon profile image83
      lobobrandonposted 15 months ago in reply to this

You only see those corrections when logged in. Visitors will not be able to see those corrections.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image93
      Sherry Hewinsposted 15 months ago in reply to this

They have already made the changes they indicated. If you don't agree with a change, you can deny it by unchecking the box next to it.

1. lone77star profile image90
        lone77starposted 15 months ago in reply to this

I understand that, now. Thanks. But it would be nice to be able to clear the item so it no longer shows up.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image93
          Sherry Hewinsposted 15 months ago in reply to this

As I recall after you open each hub, click on 'show corrections (new) then close the hub, that stuff all goes away. I could be remembering wrong, it's been a long time since I had to deal with any of those.

2. paradigmsearch profile image86
    paradigmsearchposted 15 months ago

Actually, HP does indeed fix the comments. They're just letting you know what they did. smile

3. Anna Marie Bowman profile image88
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 months ago

The edits do serve a purpose.  Google is funny about spelling, even when it comes to the comments, which should be no reflection on your writing, but whatever.  They do what they want, regardless.  I have actually gone through and deleted comments that were useless, senseless, or unnecessary.  It has seemed to have helped a little, or it might be a fluke.

4. paradigmsearch profile image86
    paradigmsearchposted 15 months ago

I just discovered a comment on one of my hubs that had the word "penis" in it. No big deal, it'd only been there for three years...

Needless to say, I lined up all my editbots and fired them on the spot.

5. Venkatachari M profile image84
    Venkatachari Mposted 15 months ago

I don't think so. It appears again and again when we click our own hubs. It will not be visible to viewers, but it is very odd to see the remark popping up again and again at the menubar of any hub.

6. NateB11 profile image94
    NateB11posted 15 months ago

Comments are considered part of the content of an article. This is why comments violating TOS can get you in trouble. So a badly written comment can affect a Hub, including, as mentioned, in the Google search engine. In other words, yes, Google looks at the content of comments too.

7. Susan Hambidge profile image92
    Susan Hambidgeposted 14 months ago

I accept that this is done for Google's sake (the all-powerful ruler the Internet that must be obeyed at all times), but I think it is a shame. There is no useful place for genuine, honest comments that people have gone out of their way to add - unless they are grammatically correct and, if possible, sprinkled with handy SEO phrases.

Personally, if I'm reading comments and reviews, I start to distrust those written in beautiful prose with immaculate punctuation. They must be paid-for contributions, I conclude, and are not, therefore, honest and unbiased. But that is probably just me.

1. NateB11 profile image94
      NateB11posted 14 months ago in reply to this

I agree. I think it's ashame we censor ourselves for Google and the advertisers. People ought to be able to say whatever they want in comments, in whatever way they do.

working