jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

I'd like feedback on my Hub: 7 Kid-Friendly NYC Activities

1. 76
    Maria Mancusoposted 5 months ago

Hi Hubbers,

This got rejected, so I made a couple of changes. I wish they'd give a hint as to why they are rejecting a piece. Any insight would be appreciated.

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub 7 Kid-Friendly NYC Activities (must be signed in to view). What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. lions44 profile image94
      lions44posted 5 months ago in reply to this

Being originally from NYC, I can't argue with the choices. But I would actually make your hub longer, and provide more detail on why they should go to certain attractions.  You also listed a lot of attractions in just one paragraph and/or section. Splitting that up makes for an easier read.

So for example, you can have a section on the Bronx Zoo. And when mentioning the zoo, it's important to tell tourists how to get there, then provide the link.   I grew up not far from the park, but if you are staying in Manhattan, it's not that easy (2/5 Train, then bus at Pelham Pkwy).  Explain that part of it.  Talk about getting a metro pass.
      The same goes for other attractions. Maybe shorten the list but add more details for each.  Maybe a map. I know you put in links to the sites, but an author description always welcome.

Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island: Where do I get the boat?  How much?  Hours of operation?  That really helps.  Your hub could be sectioned into a list form as well.

One last thing:  you have pictures at the end of the hub. I always try to align my photos with the text, either next to a paragraph or between sections.  That way the graphic provides context to the discussion.

Good luck.  Keep at it.  If you have any further questions, just let me know.

2. 76

Thanks for the reply. Are those reasons a piece would be rejected?

1. lions44 profile image94
      lions44posted 5 months ago in reply to this

Not sure.  Issues could be grammar, too many links or it might be too short?  I'm not sure of HP's standard, but I use 3000 words as my minimum.  If a hub looks like an ad for a product or service, that might be a reason.  I did not notice any egregious grammar issues.  It was more layout for me.  You did put a link in the middle of paragraph, which might hurt.

You could contact HP.  Staffers are on the forums and they are very willing to help (the names escape me at the moment). If I remember one, I will write back ASAP.  In the meantime, you could use the NYT travel section articles as a guide.  http://www.nytimes.com/section/travel

When you finish the rewrite, post again and let us have a look.

3. 76

Ok. Thanks. I just moved this one to another site rather than try to guess what they want. I'll try again with a different article. Thanks for all your help.