User Commenting on Niche Sites (and on HubPages!)

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Kent Merritt profile image69
    Kent Merrittposted 7 years ago

Hello, fellow hubbers!

I'm new here (even though I joined back in 2009, then left for some unknown reason - but now I'm back). I tried to find something about this topic here in the forums, but really could not find anything that answers my question, which is this...

Why does HubPages require a person to create a HubPages account in order to post a comment?  It seems like this is counter-productive to getting more traffic.  I understand that most of the people making comments on the various hubs on HubPages are other writers, but now that a lot of these articles are being migrated to niche sites, it just seems like a good thing to help build traffic would be to make it easier to post a comment.  If I go to the Tatring or Pethelpful websites to read an article that I'd found through Google, and would like to comment on that article, and suddenly I'm taken to a page to sign up as a writer on Hubpages, I would probably just forget about writing that comment.

These days, a lot of online communities are using services like Disqus, or even allowing their Facebook or Twitter logins for posting comments. This just seems like it would help all of the niche sites to be more user-friendly and would generate more traffic, and isn't that what the niches are all about?

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago

Kent, It's an option that each Hubber can chose for controlling comments. You obviously have stumbled upon some hubs where the Hubber does not allow comments except from signed-in users. Others have it set to allow anyone to comment but then requiring moderation before the comment appears in the hub. Then there are those who allow anything from anyone without moderation. But the latter is dangerous since spammers have a free-for-all in those cases.

3. Kent Merritt profile image69

Thanks, Glenn.  So, you're saying we can select the type of comments ourselves? 
    I've completely missed that option.  Is that available on a per hub basis?  Where do I select those options when I'm creating a hub?

4. Glenn Stok profile image97

Kent,

You can set them globally or make specific settings in each hub to override the global settings.

✔️ To do it globally go to your comments moderation page and click "show settings".

✔️ To set in an individual hub (not recommended) - edit the hub and open the comment capsule. There you will be able to override the global settings.

5. Kent Merritt profile image69

Hey, thank you again, Glenn Stok!
    I never knew that feature was there!  I did see those options in the Comments capsule under Edit.  The wording was a little confusing to me, though...

Disable any further comments from being posted           
    Comments must be approved before they appear           
    Only signed-in users may post comments           
    Display most recent comments first

I suppose I was looking for a 'Let non-members post comments' option. 
    I didn't realize that selecting 'No' for 'Only signed-in users may post' would basically do the same thing. 
    Good to know!

6. Susan Hambidge profile image94
    Susan Hambidgeposted 7 years ago

I have thought the same thing about posting comments. I have one hub about getting into a car when the battery is dead, (something I learned the hard way and wanted to pass on) - and it gets a handful of viewings a day but there are never any comments. I am sure that I would have helped at least one or two people over the time, but no 'thanks for that' comments left.  I could understand people not wanting to sign up to leave a comment, however.

I didn't know we could change the setting so I will look at that.

I will see what happens about spammers. I have already had one 'hmm shall we say 'slightly perverted' comment left on another hub by a 'registered' user so you have to watch out for strange comments anyway!

7. Kent Merritt profile image69

Well....I thought it worked!

After changing the settings like Glenn suggested, I went back to one of my hubs, and it looked like it was going to allow anyone to post.  However, I was still logged into my account.  So, I logged out, then went back to my hub, and lo and behold, it was still stating that I would need to sign in or sign up through Hubpages in order to leave a comment. 

Right back where I started from. sad

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You didn't select the right option. I know it works because I am allowing anyone to leave comments on my hubs. They don't need to create an account. It works.  But for protection I also have the other option selected that requires me to moderate new comments before they appear.  That's how I avoid spammers  while at the same time allowing organic traffic to comment as well.

8. Kent Merritt profile image69

Well, I stand corrected (actually. I sit corrected), Glenn.  I went to one of your hubs and posted a comment while I was logged out. It did allow me to post, even though it shows that same information next to the Name box, namely 'Sign in or Sign up using Hubpages, etc.' that shows up on my hubs.

I posted on your article on alliteration, btw. It didn't show up, but I'm assuming you have the hub set to moderate the comments.

I guess I'm just used to websites where people are allowed to post comments without all of the rules, regulations and moderation.  But, I do understand the need for it.

9. Glenn Stok profile image97

Kent, I just approved your comment in that hub of mine. As you saw, you were able to post the comment without being logged in. Of course it gave you the option to sign up with HubPages but you didn't have to. Notice that most Hubbers are using the same settings I use. That is the safest way.

One other thing, if you haven't been following the new rules about comments that HubPages has made clear, most of us are deleting comments that simply say things similar to  "nice hub" without adding any value for the reader. This is because Google is getting tough with that and they consider comments as part of the hub. Anything that does not add value is considered fluff and seen as spammy. Just so you know.

Those other sites you talk about, that don't care about what's left in comments, may not do well under the new stringent rules as time goes by.  You see, Google is struggling to stay in business too. They realize the need to send people to sites that don't have useless fluff that waste the time of the people searching for results. That's why HubPages is trying to give Google what they want.

10. Kent Merritt profile image69

Thanks again for the helpful info, Glenn.

Feel free to delete my comment, if it's considered too 'fluffy'. 
    We certainly wouldn't want to upset the almighty Google! wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)