jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)

Philosophical Question

1. reggieTull profile image60
    reggieTullposted 7 years ago

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it - does it make a sound?

1. profile image60
      badcompany99posted 7 years ago in reply to this

A bloody great tree fallin, course it makes a sound. I worry about you, I really do !

2. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
      GeneriqueMediaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Nope. If a tree falls on an axeman in the forest, and nobody's around, does he make a sound? Or even more useful of a question...does insurance payout?

wink

G|M

3. AEvans profile image69
      AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

mmmm...I do not believe it makes a sound, but who knows we are not there to hear it. lololol:D

2. profile image60
    badcompany99posted 7 years ago

Insurance pay out, now you are having a laugh.

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image61

ROFL!

3. reggieTull profile image60

Thanks for worrying about me badco lol.  But it is a philosophical question.  Some say it would not make a sound - you need an ear to hear a sound.  Oh yes, it would make a vibration.  But sound is associated to a receiver.  This is a classic one and has gone back and forth.

But I like your straight forward response.

As for the wood cutter - ooch.  He would hear his own sound as he was dying.  But if the tree fell after he was dead.  Maybe no sound.

Besides maybe a half spoken "Holy sh!" wink

It is always an interesting question to ask, but we forget that us humans aren't the only ones to hear...surely there's an insect around to validate the poor tree falling.

4. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 7 years ago

Maybe it is a stealth tree?.....jimmy

No doubt created by those sneaky Russians. The Hunt for Red October Tree...

5. reggieTull profile image60

Thanks Generique - I have always believed as you have mentioned - of course it makes a sound since other creatures are around to hear.  As for the stealth tree, maybe it lands on a mega pile of pine needles, bird feathers and moist leave.  Possible...

6. reggieTull profile image60

OK - I have also heard the variation of this line of thinking.  If a husband is alone in the woods and screws up but his wife is not around to see - does he still get into trouble smile))  Interesting how men answer this question!

1. profile image60
      badcompany99posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Course he does he wouldn't be able to contain his laughter at getting away with it thus gets caught. And I knew it was a philosophical question, twas just being smart : )

7. reggieTull profile image60

Arhhhhhhh Mate Tee - you are so right!

Not to mention wives get psychic powers from their mothers upon wedding day. So if you ever feel like messing around, you've been warned. Honestly, its true...crackhead's honor.

G|M

8. reggieTull profile image60

You guys must be married.  Single men answer - no I won't get in trouble, how could she possibly know.  Obviously, marriage brings wisdom smile

9. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
    GeneriqueMediaposted 7 years ago

Me? Married? I hope I never live to regret the day. wink

G|M

10. reggieTull profile image60

Then your wisdom in this issue is beyond my understanding.  Nice comments.  Thanks for the fun today, makes the office a little bit more lively.

working