jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)

Proper image use

1. Kiane profile image83
    Kianeposted 14 months ago

Hello smile) Maybe this is a stupid question... It`s so difficult to find images for your hub...For example, I want to write about some YouTube channel. I've read the learning center guide on proper image use. But maybe it is possible to use an image from google plus profiles?

1. PegCole17 profile image91
      PegCole17posted 14 months ago in reply to this

You can find good images to use on Wikimedia Commons Images. Search for your desired image, then scroll down below the photo and look at the copyright restrictions. If it is in the Public Domain, you can use it, with proper attribution of the source. Be sure to give credit to the image as required.

1. Kiane profile image83
        Kianeposted 14 months ago in reply to this

Thanks smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 months ago

I wrote a Hub about how to use images legally, you'll find it on the slider on my profile. 

No you can't use images from Google plus profiles.

1. Kiane profile image83

Marisa, thank you a lot for your hub about flickr! And I edited my first hub, your article was helpful for me)
      But all the same, there are so few photos on the Internet I can use legally. Is it OK to take a screenshot of a YouTube video and then use it as an image for a hub?

1. lisavollrath profile image93
        lisavollrathposted 14 months ago in reply to this

Screenshots are covered under Fair Use, but they should be correctly attributed and linked, and cropped in a way that makes it clear they are a screen shot of a video.

1. Kiane profile image83

lisavollrath, thank you! So I can use as a source the  link of a video on YouTube channel.

Yep. If it was me, I'd make sure the video has been posted by the person or entity who created it. So, if you're posting screen caps of a Disney video from YouTube, you should be sure the videos are on the official Disney YouTube channel, and not something posted by Joe Blow illegally.

1. Solaras profile image90
              Solarasposted 14 months ago in reply to this

Nice to see you here Lisa.  How are things going on your website?

Hey. Well, it's web sites, plural, and they're going really well. Thanks for asking.

working