jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)

Is there a way for HubPages to Force the Thieves to Link back to Us?

1. sallybea profile image97
    sallybeaposted 5 months ago

Would it be  possible for HubPages to force Thieves to Link back to us to help Increase our Traffic and SEO?  If we can't beat them, perhaps we should join them!
    It stands to reason that if we are losing views and money, then so are HubPages. Even the niche sites are now being stolen.  I have already filed 2 DMCA's for the niche sites and this could be the tip of the iceberg!
    We really could do with a little more help in this area HubPages. Please!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image93
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 months ago in reply to this

l suspect you will hear from the team that since what you write belongs to you,when your work is stolen, only you can take steps to fix the issue.  I doubt there would be any way to legally force a thief to give you credit when his purpose is to keep all of it for himself!

1. sallybea profile image97
        sallybeaposted 5 months ago in reply to this

I have read that it is in fact, possible to force the thieves to link back to your pages by inserting code.   Since we can't insert the code ourselves I think it would be nice if Hubpages learned how to do this.  It seems that the whole site has once again been copied and I am now once again in the process of filing 13 more DMCA's today.which include all our hubs on the niche sites.  Please see my other thread.   It is growing more and more problematical as the original URLS used on our hubs don't match the titles on our hubs or the ones which we are filing DMCA's for.  It is becoming difficult and a full-time occupation,  Traffic is declining along with it.  I am seriously wondering if it is worth writing anything here anymore.

1. Barbara Kay profile image84
          Barbara Kayposted 5 months ago in reply to this

Someone suggested a few years ago to add a link within the text to one of your pages about the same subject. At least you are getting a little something from it. Whether Hubpages allows it now is another question.

2. SheilaMilne profile image89
          SheilaMilneposted 5 months ago in reply to this

It's definitely possible to include a link back in copy-pasted text.  For example Brainy Quotes does just that.

Whether it works for scraped articles, I don't know.

2. EricDockett profile image95
      EricDockettposted 5 months ago in reply to this

This wouldn't really help anything nor is it something I'd want to see. A crummy spam website that copies your content would only provide a crummy link to your page. It wouldn't help with SEO or traffic, and may even harm it. It does provide some means of verification that you are the original author, but as Hubs are retaining their original dates when they move to niche sites that shouldn't be an issue anyway.

Dealing with thieves is a never-ending game of Whack-a-Mole. Unfortunately, there is little that can be done to stop it except to file DMCAs when you see fit.

If it is realistic, I've often though it wouldn't be a bad idea for HP to disable copy by right-click. Instead, readers would get a copyright notice. That still wouldn't stop scrapers and determined thieves, but it would give kids and casual copy-pasters something to think about. I think a lot of them don't even realize what they are doing is wrong.

3. kenneth avery profile image83
      kenneth averyposted 5 months ago in reply to this

@ sallybea,
      Last night I ventured to the "toknowthings" and replaced DOT with "." and my McAfee Anti-Virus software sternly warned me to NOT enter this website as there was a danger of my computer being infected.
      So now what?

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 5 months ago in reply to this

Excellent, if that is happening then it's quite likely that the spammer is getting no traffic and is more likely to give up.

2. revolutionbjj profile image94
    revolutionbjjposted 5 months ago

Have DCMAs had any effect?  I've tried to follow the process in the past, but it has been frustrating and unsatisfactory.

DMCA's do work. 

The trick is that if it's obvious the site is a thief (rather than making an honest mistake), then there's no point contacting the website owner.

Instead, look up Whois to find out who their host is.  Then find the right address to send an "abuse" claim to (e.g. if it's Hostgator, you'd Google "Hostgator report abuse") and report the website to the hosting company.

In this case the host is GoDaddy. 

https://uk.godaddy.com/agreements/showd … etid=en-US

https://supportcenter.godaddy.com/Infri … Index?isc=

The more people who complete that form for their stolen work, the more chance there is that GoDaddy will close down the site.

1. revolutionbjj profile image94
        revolutionbjjposted 5 months ago in reply to this

Thanks, Marisa!  I have had a few of mine just straight up yanked over the years, and this is very helpful.

It looks as though the website owner is a serial offender - Hubbers have managed to get his first host to close him down, but he's moved to a new host.  Even if we get GoDaddy to close him down, he may just move again.

The most effective way to stop him is to get him banned from Adsense. 

https://support.google.com/adsense/cont … ion_report

1. Sue Adams profile image93
            Sue Adamsposted 5 months ago in reply to this

According to
            http://hubpages.com/community/forum/136 … ost2818803

Margaret Schindel heard back from GoDaddy. It appears that Mochahost.com (not GoDaddy) is the web hosting provider for this site.
            Many of us have filed DMCA notices with (abuseatmochahostdotcom), and the site is now GONE! It has been suspended.

Check it out:
            www.toknowthings.com

So yes, filing DMCA reports en masse definitely helps.

3. viryabo profile image86
    viryaboposted 5 months ago

I find it so tedious identifying the offenders or going through their hosts to make them desist.
    Why should I waste precious time I don't have?

What I do is contact Google Adsense if they have Adsense ads.

I've gotten prompt responses this way. Works like magic!

4. FitnezzJim profile image86
    FitnezzJimposted 5 months ago

Which takes more effort?  Prevention or Cure?   Does the effort to stop internet theft take up so much time and effort that we can't afford it, or give up in frustration?

working