jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Not Featured Hubs

1. Coffee-Break profile image89
    Coffee-Breakposted 12 months ago

I don't like the decision to deindex hubs that are not getting enough traffic.
    I'd like to keep my articles on HP, but it makes no sense to keep them if HP marks the as noindex. Traffic changes all the time, removing content doesn't do any good to HP, unless the content is really bad.
    I wish there was a way to distinguish between articles that deserve to be deindexed and articles that are just part of Google's ever changing algos. And yes, I know that we can change the article and republish it, in order to be featured, I just refuse to do that.
    There should be another way to tell us the writers that we need to check our articles that don't perform well.
    In the meantime, I am going to keep moving my content off of HP with all new de-featured articles.

My two cents.

1. GiftsByDiana profile image60
      GiftsByDianaposted 12 months ago in reply to this

Exactly !

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 12 months ago

Rather than type the whole explanation again, here's a couple of posts from one of the original discussions of unFeaturing (called "Idling" at the time).

http://hubpages.com/community/forum/109 … ost2338785

http://hubpages.com/community/forum/109 … ost2339141

1. GiftsByDiana profile image60
      GiftsByDianaposted 12 months ago in reply to this

Thank you.
      Interesting that H.P. members didn't like it then either and that not much has changed.

2. Coffee-Break profile image89
      Coffee-Breakposted 12 months ago in reply to this

Yeah, I know the reasons. That doesn't make me feel better. The same script/person that de
      -features the hubs could filter by certain criteria, like past traffic from search engines. De-indexing hubs only hurts HP, and us.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 months ago in reply to this

The point is, however, that if it's unFeatured for traffic then no human being is involved. So judging the Hub would require more resources.

Traffic from search engines is what's currently used.

Keyword: "past traffic from search engines".
          If the hub had some traffic from search engines, let it live, (human or bot).
          If it it didn't have any traffic from search engines ever, kill it.
          If it had traffic two years ago and none in the last two years ago, kill it.

In the meantime, bad hubs promoted on social media are still live, despite the doubtful quality.
          In my case is not the end of the world, I have a coffee website, so some of my hubs will find a new home very easily. I just need to spend some time to move them. It is fine. I just find it hard to believe that HP didn't find yet a solution to this, after so long.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
            Marisa Wrightposted 12 months ago in reply to this

No they're not, because traffic from social media is not counted.   The decision to Feature/unFeature is based on search engine traffic ONLY.

You'll often see people complaining their Hub has been unFeatured even though it's getting "lots of traffic", but usually the reason is that traffic is coming from social media or other websites, not Google - and that doesn't count.

Didn't know that. At least that makes it more consistent.
              Whatever...
              I am almost giving up on HP.

3. lobobrandon profile image82
    lobobrandonposted 12 months ago

Set your profile to show unfeatured hubs...

Being unfeatured basically means haveing a noindex tag as you mentioned earlier. This just removes it from search engines - eitherway you were not getting any traffic from there. I don't see the problem.

It's like having a restaurant in Norway and having an ad in a high school in New York, you're not going to get any visits whehter you have it there or not. Getting rid of this ad isn't going to harm your business in any way.

working