jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Just joined (3 days, 10 hubs) what should I learn next?

1. Jean Greer profile image87
    Jean Greerposted 3 months ago

Hi there!  I just signed up to hubpages and have been reading up on the history of hubpages, adsense/amazon/ebay etc., Google adwords/keywords and analytics, backlinking, and basics of SEO.  I've also read a little into niche writing etc.

Full disclosure - I'm an actor and screenwriter so have lots of writing experience but am new to online.  I write daily as a good writing habit so thought I'd look into posting online.  I like to learn and am finding researching online writing and SEO fascinating.   What else should I know/research about blogging/hubpages?

1. Kryssy OSullivan profile image85
      Kryssy OSullivanposted 3 months ago in reply to this

I'm not trying to scare you, but... I think the first and foremost thing about Hubpages is that it's important to not expect a payout right away, or anytime soon. For some, it takes years just to get a payout. It's a lot of work, but it's worth it. Just need a lot of patience (and time). smile

2. erorantes profile image31
      erorantesposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Congratulations mister Gean. There are many things that we do here at hub pages. You will learn those things with time while you participate in the hub pages community. Please do not get discourage, when someone gives you a comment. Hub pages are strict with gramma and punctuation. Do not forget to go back and check your writing, so they can show your work to the other writers. I am welcome you to this amazing site. You will love it like I do.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image96
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 3 months ago in reply to this

Welcome to HP.  I'm sure you'll be a welcome addition to our group of writers here.

When I first started writing online, someone told me that doing so is different than other types of writing, but they never explained what they meant.  I had to learn the hard way that to do well, you have to watch every detail of what you are doing so that you please Google, don't spam your work, use and accredit photos properly, use capsules (at least here on HP), keep paragraphs short and easy to read...etc.  The list goes on and on.

I strongly suggest you look at some of the articles from the more well known and successful writers here to see how they format their work and which writing techniques they use. 

It's still the old "beginning, middle, end" technique, but with a twist.  The Learning Center will be extremely helpful for you, and you are always free to ask people on the forums or the team for assistance, also.

The learning curve is long, even for an experienced writer like yourself, but it is interesting and challenging.  There will be many bumps in the road, but if you stick with it, you'll be OK.

Good Luck.

Jean Greerposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Thank you for the tips!   I'll have a look through the articles of successful hubbers now - great tip!

2. Jean Greer profile image87
    Jean Greerposted 3 months ago

Thanks for the heads up!  That's fine by me!    I'm just keen to learn as much as I can at the moment as I think all knowledge is valid and helpful!  And hubpages seems like a great place to learn about SEO etc. while stretching my writing muscles daily!

3. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 3 months ago

I'm sure you will do well (and, yes, it does take a while to get the earnings going ). Most new hubbers plunge right in without bothering to read the guidelines or learning center, and that is a mistake.
    It looks like you are ready. If you already know the basics, you will learn more as you go along. I just glanced at your titles and it looks like a nice variety. Your writing experience should make this fun and easy for you.

Thank you for the welcome!

4. willmcwryter profile image53
    willmcwryterposted 3 months ago

wow i joined six months ago and i don't have as many as you.  you are a really good writer.

Thank you!  I'm a fast writer and researcher and benefit from largely working from home to start with!

5. Shirl Urso-Farmer profile image80
    Shirl Urso-Farmerposted 3 months ago

From one newbie to another, welcome Jean smile