jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Marketing Suggestions

1. RGraf profile image84
    RGrafposted 7 years ago

I've got my first book out there.  Now I need to market it.  What suggestions do you have?  I've got it out on a few friend's blogs, on Amazon, and will have it in a newsletter in a couple of days.  But what else is out there that I don't know about which I'm sure is a lot?

2. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 7 years ago

Are you going to do a book signing and a reading at your local library?  One man donated his book to the local library, and many kids do check it out.  He also had a book signing, which gave people another chance to buy his book at the library.  Some local writers in the community also have book signings at Barnes and Noble.  This may not bring national or international success, but it does help with jump starting book sales.

1. RGraf profile image84
      RGrafposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks.  That is an idea.  My husband just talked to the local bookstore about it and we are going to show him a copy today.  I'm hoping that will help.  I'll see about neighboring towns, too.

Really appreciate your suggestion.

1. SweetiePie profile image83
        SweetiePieposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I am hoping for you. Keep us posted about how it goes.

3. DonnaCSmith profile image83
    DonnaCSmithposted 7 years ago

Ask your publisher to create a sale sheet (or do it yourself)The sheet will have an image of the book cover, a synopsis, ordering info and your own contact info.

Send the sheet out to as many bookstores as you can afford stamps. Also, visit area bookshops and hand deliver samples of the book and the sale sheet. Tell them you are available for book signings - although in the big sceme of things booksignings do more for your ego than they do book sales.

Talk it up on social websites, forums and your own email list. Ask people to write reviews on amazon.com, and get the local paper to review it and write an article about you as a local author.

Write and distribute press releases.

Create a blog and/or website.

Send review copies to magazines and newspapers, TV and radio shows that do book author interviews (Hey, I haven't done that one yet!)

4. 0
    pgrundyposted 7 years ago

I worked in an independent bookstore located in a mall for a couple of years, and every so often someone who had self-published a book would come in and ask if they could set out some of their books and do a signing. I never saw the owners refuse, but again, it was independently owned. Since your book has a Christian theme maybe you could approach some of the Christian bookstores where you live about doing that?

Also, maybe networking with some churches and clergy and doing some public speaking wouldn't hurt. And a press release--You could set up a speaking engagement at a local church on a related topic and issue a press release for the religion section of your local newspaper. Include a link to the book and take lots of copies of the book (to sell and autograph) when you speak.

Good luck! It's awesome that you wrote a book! big_smile

5. RGraf profile image84
    RGrafposted 7 years ago

Thanks for the great suggestions!  I'm hoping to have a website up soon about it especially since it is the beginning of a series. 

These are great!  I'll start work immediately.

I really appreciate everyone's help and support.