jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Who can in better discipline an 8 years old kid-Father or mother?

1. Lgali profile image50
    Lgaliposted 7 years ago

I think both

2. sassychic profile image61
    sassychicposted 7 years ago

Both if properly done. I have been to many seminars and workshops about Child Psychology and if you are firm, fair adn respectful to the child both parents can be just as good as the other. I work with kids and I know exactly what is effective and what's not.

3. frogdropping profile image84
    frogdroppingposted 7 years ago

That's a rather broad yet interesting question Lgali. Both, if both are equally capable of good parenting. And both, in an ideal world. That said 'both' is extremely unlikely in reality. And - both parents are equally responsible for the raising of their children. Unfortunately, some just don't realise it. You also have to factor in what type of discipline. The are many ways to chastise a child. Some are responsible. Some are reckless. Some are downright cruel.

Discipline is a fine art, though many wouldn't realise it. Raising kids is a mine field.

Let's see what others come up with.

1. Lgali profile image50
      Lgaliposted 7 years ago in reply to this

you are right but I find sometime there is conflict how to resolve that

4. Everyday Miracles profile image94
    Everyday Miraclesposted 7 years ago

I tend to be the more effective disciplinarian in our household. I get better *long-term* results. He might get a better immediate response, but I am the one who has been responsible for correcting overall negative behaviors in our sixteen month old. I think that the difference is that when I correct her, I am usually able to do so without raising my voice. Hasn't always been that way, but it's better now.

5. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 7 years ago

Yeah, I think it depends on the parent.

In theory, either/or should work, but as a kid my mother being around more than my father we feared and respected her the most.

My dad? Well, if I wanted a friend to come over, and I knew my mom would say no.... wink

Ahh, at least they raised us to be mildly intelligence.

Conning is only a trait of success. wink

However, my friend across the street..his Dad was usually the one to take matters into his own hands with the kids. So again, it varies.

6. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 7 years ago

We have an eight-year old and I believe that we discipline equally. My husband and I stick to our guns when it comes to discipline as our son tries to play both sides of the fiddle to get his way, and has realized in our household it doesn't happen.smile

1. Lgali profile image50
      Lgaliposted 7 years ago in reply to this

very nicely said

7. Research Analyst profile image80
    Research Analystposted 7 years ago

I would say it depends on the parents in how they have disciplined the child in the past, children know what they can get away with, so being consistent is important