jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Moving Hubs?

1. theraggededge profile image95
    theraggededgeposted 8 months ago

When our lenses were transferred from Squidoo, we had to set up a second account. Mine is sadly neglected and doesn't perform very well. My question is, would it be okay, now that a couple of years have passed, to delete a few from 'over there' and republish them 'over here'?

2. EricDockett profile image94
    EricDockettposted 8 months ago

I've moved several of my old Lenses to this and other accounts, and I've moved Hubs between accounts many, many times. Just like moving an article from elsewhere on the web, you just have to make sure it is removed from the search engines and hasn't been copied on another site or you'll trip the dup filter when you try to republish. Sometimes you trip it anyway, even though it has cleared the search engines and has not been copied. roll. You then have to email staff, but as long as it doesn't exist elsewhere you should be okay. Unless HP staff now has some reason not to move Hubs that didn't exist before, you should be able to move them wherever you want.

It would be nice if HP could offer a "one time only" account consolidation thing now that subdomains are gone and everything is getting shipped to niche sites. For many Hubbers it would be nice to have everything organized on one account.

theraggededgeposted 8 months ago in reply to this

Thanks, Eric. I don't suppose there is an easy way to do it other than copy and pasting capsules one by one?

1. EricDockett profile image94
        EricDockettposted 8 months ago in reply to this

Not really, but you can take a couple of shortcuts. What I usually do is unpublish the old Hub, then open it to view (not edit). I then open another tab in my browser. In the new tab I sign out of my old account and into the account where I want to move the Hub. I start a new Hub, and just copy and paste everything over from the old Hub on the other tab.

You might have to fiddle with formatting a bit, and make sure you don't accidentally copy any odd characters, but it usually goes pretty smoothly. The only thing you can't copy over is your summary, which you'll either have to rewrite or go back into your old account to grab.

Of course you then have to wait for search engines to forget about your old Hub, which sometimes takes a few weeks. Alternatively, you can manually remove it from search, but since it takes a while to clear HP anyway I usually just wait.

Edit: You may already know this, but you can't use your old url again. You can use the same title though.

Thanks so much for your help. It's definitely worth doing.

1. EricDockett profile image94
            EricDockettposted 8 months ago in reply to this

You're welcome, and good luck! smile I'll add that this is something I only do when absolutely necessary, like in the situation you're describing when an account is no longer worth maintaining. The whole process is somewhat of a drag, but sometimes it needs to happen.

3. calculus-geometry profile image85
    calculus-geometryposted 8 months ago

On the plus side, the system might regard them as new hubs and put them on niche sites if they aren't already.

That's what I was thinking smile My traffic has improved so much with the niche sites, so I may as well ride the wave.

working