jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Please get rid of topical forums

1. promisem profile image96
    promisemposted 4 months ago

HubPages is now suffering what many other sites have suffered. The forums are getting ruined by a handful of uncivil people who mock everyone who thinks differently than them.

The quality and (I suspect) the quantity of forum participation is in steep decline.

Imagine a random visitor finds your article and clicks into the forums to see this kind of garbage:

http://hubpages.com/politics/forum/1372 … barf-barf-

Do you really think that visitor will be impressed and want to come back? These kinds of postings are detrimental to the image of HubPages and to all of the great writers who try to produce their best work here.

I have worked in online media since the late '80s, and I have seen this happen over and over. Eventually, most other sites get rid of forums altogether because of it.

I can't see any benefit to HP or the writers for these postings. They are no different than poor-quality articles that don't get featured. Why should forums be any different?

1. lions44 profile image96
      lions44posted 4 months ago in reply to this

Feel the same.  I've sworn off the Trump/Clinton questions.   The political topics are now exhausted.  If people want to discuss specific issues, I'm in.  But no more on the campaign.  Passions too high. Everyone needs to take a breath.  I notice fewer and fewer folks participating, so maybe the problem is working itself out. 
      Concentrate on writing great hubs and helping other hubbers out. That's my resolution.

promisemposted 4 months ago in reply to this

I'm glad to hear you also think that participation is declining. I agree that most of the problem is related to politics, but it has shown up in religion quite a bit too.

Otherwise, there are very few posts in other topics anyway.

Regardless of anyone's political beliefs, these kinds of posts bring down the credibility of HP. I see only upside and no downside to getting rid of them.

2. jackclee lm profile image78
      jackclee lmposted 4 months ago in reply to this

Totally agree. What's the difference between forum and Q/A?
      It seems they are interchangeable. I would get rid of one.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image85
        Kathryn L Hillposted 4 months ago in reply to this

Why not have both?

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 4 months ago

The topic forums keep that stuff out of these forums, and are easily avoided.  I suspect doing away with them would mean we were back to those threads being mixed in with everything else and impossible to avoid.

I understand your point. I hope the answer would lie in aggressive moderation.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image91
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 months ago

Just keep repeating, "the election will be over soon... the election will be over soon...the election will be over soon..."

Prayer doesn't seem to help.  smile

I was seeing this trend before campaigning started to heat up, and I'm willing to bet it will continue after the election.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image85
    Kathryn L Hillposted 4 months ago

The (topical) forums Rock as they are ... barf barf and all!  big_smile
    Gosh!

5. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 4 months ago

Sometimes you need a little dose of madness to make you realize that sanity is the best option.

LOL. Yes, that's a good point.

working