jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)

Title Capitalization Tips for the HubPro Editors

1. Kylyssa profile image95
    Kylyssaposted 10 months ago

A hub of mine was just edited by HubPro to make two of its subtitles incorrectly capitalized. The anonymous editor made the common error of using lowercase letters on pronouns and verbs that are short. All  nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, and subordinate conjunctions should be capitalized in titles even if they are shorter than four letters long.

The editor removed the correct capitalization from two instances of 'it' and one instance of 'do' in two subtitles. No other grammar errors were introduced to the hub by the editor.

1. sallybea profile image97
      sallybeaposted 10 months ago in reply to this

This is the area where staff certainly did a better job than I had done.  I was once told by someone that I was using too many capitals in my subtitles and I changed them to reflect what I was told to do but as it turns out the information I received by incorrect.

It would be so nice to have this area automated by HubPages software.

I do know that it sometimes happens as you are writing a hub but it would be nice to be able to manually put a function like this into place as and when you need a check.

1. Will Apse profile image90
        Will Apseposted 10 months ago in reply to this

It depends which guide you cleave to. Outside the US, far fewer capitals are used.

HP have an inhouse style (Chicago, Harvard?) and even though I find it over the top, it's worth sticking to. I suppose. For the sake of consistency.

They should reference it in the Hub tool.

1. Kylyssa profile image95
          Kylyssaposted 10 months ago in reply to this

Actually, they state they are using APA guidelines in the emails.

2. Kylyssa profile image95
        Kylyssaposted 10 months ago in reply to this

That's nice that it's an improvement for you, but it really doesn't help anything for them to add in errors when they edit.

Here's a free title case checker for if you have difficulty capitalizing titles to style. HubPages emails state they are using APA style guides so you can click that button on the title capitalization tool.

I guess maybe I'm overly sensitive to it when the editors add errors to our hubs because I've worked with professional editors before and they only ever fixed errors rather than adding them.

1. Stacie L profile image86
          Stacie Lposted 10 months ago in reply to this

I just checked the link and it's very helpful. Thanks!

2. sallybea profile image97
          sallybeaposted 10 months ago in reply to this

Love that free title case checker link. Thank you so much Kylyssa.  I think that will be very helpful.

working