jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

These new HP "editors" are absolutely RUINING my pieces.

1. TeriSilver profile image92
    TeriSilverposted 4 months ago

And now I'm starting to question my future here, after all. these years.  There's nothing wrong with my pieces, but the new  "editors"  apparently need to justify their jobs.  They remove photos, change others around, change the layout, remove capsules (I don't do many eBay or Amazon anymore because they've ruined that already) -- these capsules contain pictures or graphics (that I've created or own) and I don't know how to get ANYONE to respond to my concerns.  It's not the first time but more so since the new editing team came on board.  Yet, when I ask them to work with me and not against me, I am completely ignored.  I would rather stay away from the Niche sites if it means not having the control over MY copyrighted works . Does HP want good writers here anymore?  If so, they're showing us no respect.  I don't mind edits to a couple of words here and there for better content flow, or punctuation ... stuff editors are supposed to do.  But when they remove parts of the piece without asking me or working issues through with me, it is WRONG.  I've been a writer for a number of years and have NEVER had editors take full control without author input. Sure HP can do what it wants.  I am very upset right now and am convinced that HP no longer wants me to publish anything here.  It used to be my favorite site.  I have put off laying out my latest article. But if  being in a niche site means your editors have carte blanche, I would rather stay in the basic realm.  HP, please tell me what to do here.  How do I undo your "vision" and still be part of a community I have cherished for so long?   If you like my stuff so much, why are you ruining it?  Yup, you got it .... I am very upset right now.

2. TeriSilver profile image92

And so I get the email that the piece has been moved to a niche site, just like the other ones.  But that doesn't fix the problem.  I just don't understand why, if HP likes my stuff so much, they don't include me in the process?  I spend hours to days to weeks on some pieces; researching, writing, editing, proofreading, laying it in the template, creating graphics or finding suitable pictures, editing again, proofreading again.  And again.  And again.  Hell, I could work FOR this company.  So all I ask is that before an editor does anything more than change a few words, punctuation or grammar, that they consult with me about content, vision, title, layout changes or graphics/picture (that I own) removal. I think for now that I have to take a break from HP for awhile; I am that upset. Maybe tomorrow will be better. Yet, I still find HP articles that really DO need fixing. The Hub Hopper process only goes so far.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image94
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 months ago in reply to this

Sorry to hear this.  I would send an email directly to Robin and ask her to review your situation.  I have found her to be very helpful in the past.  Good luck.

1. kenneth avery profile image82
        kenneth averyposted 4 months ago in reply to this

Or send an email to Christy or Matt. They have answered my many questions over this past year. I hope you find your answers.

3. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 4 months ago

Teri, I can appreciate your frustration. But try to understand that HubPages is focusing on getting hubs to appear in the Google Featured Snippets box when people search for something for which your hub might provide an answer. In order for Google to use your hub for Featured Snippets, many things in a hub need to be organized in a special way.

See Robin's comment that should answer your frustration. http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2830348

See the forum that WryLilt started about Featured Snippets at http://hubpages.com/community/forum/137 … ng-traffic

WryLilt included a useful link to help us understand Google Featured Snippets. https://moz.com/blog/ranking-zero-seo-for-answers

One more thing, you said you are upset that you are not included in the process. But you are!  All you have to do is click on the pencil icon next to your hub title in your stats report and it brings you to a page that shows you all the changes they made. There you can decide to undo any of the changes, but I recommend that you trust the process and give it a chance. 

I've had cases where they removed capsules and even images. In one case they swapped a main hub image that I made with one that they chose, and it helped tremendously.

4. Don Bobbitt profile image94
    Don Bobbittposted 4 months ago

One interesting fact her I would like to share.
    I am an Engineer. Sorry, but that's what I am. And as such, I have evolved with HP away from writing new Hubs that are what I call "creative writing" and more towards factual technical Hubs.
    And, I have some of my Hubs edited by the HP team. The truly ridiculous thing I am noticing is that my explanations and descriptions are being edited by Liberal Arts grads who seem to have no idea what I am writing about, but are attempting to make them "read well".
    So far, I am just riding on the tide of this evolution of HP, and leaving these changes alone, FOR NOW!
    I assume, as has always been the case over my 6 years on HP, that reason will set in and I will be able to go back and do my own rewrite at some point in the future when Google and HP take their next evolutionary step.
    DON

1. DrMark1961 profile image90
      DrMark1961posted 4 months ago in reply to this

As the latest HP newsletter let us know, one of the new HP staff is a college student. I guess that keeps us from having to deal with another liberal arts grad!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image94
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 months ago in reply to this

Don:  I have run into similar problems here and there, but every time I have written to the team and explained my position, they have allowed me to make edits.  Furthermore, I edit niche site hubs all the time to update them and have never had a problem. 40 of mine are now on the niches.  I think where people get into trouble is when they try to add ad capsules and links back in.  However, even there, the team has been reasonable with me.  I really think you ought to contact Robin and address your issues so that they don't continue to frustrate you.

5. TeriSilver profile image92

Thank you all, I think I will email Robin or Christy, they've always been so kind to me.  (Now I have to find their email links, I thought I had them here ...).  I have been disturbed about this before but the particular piece that set off this latest rant was different.  It was  was doing fine where it was ... maybe it will be better ... but I want my graphics back. I want the ability to create my vision, which was the original draw to HubPages.  I have really enjoyed writing here (because it's mine, and not something I do for a writing client).  I've never made much money here; certainly not the amount that makes it worth the time I put into each piece.  But that's OK. And I am open to help from editors, even on more than just a punctuation or word error, but not where said editor can destroy or damage a piece arbitrarily. If I add the graphics back to this particular article, I don't know what happens next.  Thanks, again, everyone.  And I appreciate the information about the Google Snippets thing so I do understand what HP is trying to do.  I just think the team can do it better by working with authors to address concerns and not penalizing them if said authors disagree with the outcome. If that's what happens when/if I add the graphics back in.

working