jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

1. DonnaCSmith profile image84
    DonnaCSmithposted 7 years ago

Share your experiences please. Did you use a POD, and who? How did you design your cover? What were your upfront costs? Why did you self-publish?

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
      GeneriqueMediaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I self publish my work through HubPages, Archive.org, MySpace, and soon to be others.

I will be setting up an account for donations, and also looking to sell my work at minimal price.

I'm driven to create, and feedback is the most rewarding thing.

I'm also driven to find new areas to explore in marketing and making money.

For instance, the things I produce here on HP is ad revenue driven. Neat!

2. cindyvine profile image85
    cindyvineposted 7 years ago

Donna, I answered all those questions of yours in my hub called The Write Stuff about my self=publishing experiences.

3. dwilliamson profile image60
    dwilliamsonposted 7 years ago

I self-publish children's books that I write and illustrate. I sell them from my own website. The major cost was my colour laser printer, which has come way down in price now and is really affordable. I design my own covers using PhotoDraw 2000. I love that program for simplicity. It is an old program but hey it works. The reason I self-publish is because I don't want to wait for a conventional publisher. I want my work out there so people can enjoy it.

1. SeSharer profile image76
      SeSharerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Seems that I can also write ebooks of Chinese Herbal based on my knowledge and sell it by creating a website. I will try it in the coming days.

4. RGraf profile image86
    RGrafposted 7 years ago

I just published my first one through CreateSpace.  I used it for the low-cost and wide exposure through Amazon.  It cost me only the cost of printing the proofs ($4 plus shipping) and I upgraded $39 to get a higher percentage of each sale.  Therefore the upfront costs were not much.

I went this route because I had never published before and was extremely nervous of getting conned since major publishers seemed to not be accepting new authors except through an agent.

My cover is simple and I have a friend who does all the illustrations.