jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Word count too long?

1. gerimcclym profile image86
    gerimcclymposted 3 months ago

Has anybody noticed a notable decline in page views for hubs they've written that exceed 1300 (or even 1400) words? What approximate word count do your most viewed hubs have?

1. Sherry Hewins profile image95
      Sherry Hewinsposted 3 months ago in reply to this

It depends on the subject. My most viewed hub has about 2300 words, my second most viewed hub has less than 700 words.

I think the number of words is not as important as their impact. If it takes 1400 words to say what you need to say, then use them, but never stretch it out just to get more words. Make all your words count.

2. RonElFran profile image97
    RonElFranposted 3 months ago

My five most viewed hubs over the last 30 days have 1351, 2905, 2592, 2018, and 3195 words. Views for these hubs are up, not declining.

3. ProBeatStudio profile image74
    ProBeatStudioposted 3 months ago

As always, focus on quality, as many words as it takes to get your point and message across without fluff.

Different subjects require different levels of attention

4. Tamara Koop profile image79
    Tamara Koopposted 3 months ago

Quality over quantity.

5. makingamark profile image75
    makingamarkposted 3 months ago

The benchmark is always how long articles outside HubPages do relative to those in HubPages.

In my personal experience, I have very long blog posts in my archive which continue to get lots and lots of pageviews simply because they are the most relevant and best on that topic.  I also continue to read 'top of Google rankings" articles which are old and long and good.

Very often the real reason why views change is because somebody else now owns the "best article" title - and yours has been downgraded.

1. gerimcclym profile image86
      gerimcclymposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Thank you to everybody for their responses! Very helpful feedback.

working