jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Account Banned From Hubpages

1. felishiyafiamma profile image77
    felishiyafiammaposted 2 months ago

Hi Hubbers,

I recently got a hubber following me, so I followed them back. The hubber also published an article just a while ago, when I went to check it out. I saw that the hubber is banned from HubPages . How is that possible? Under what circumstances, HubPages ban an account?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Most often it is spamming.

2. janshares profile image88
    jansharesposted 2 months ago

Hard to say why that person was banned. People are usually banned for "acting out" or posting inappropriately in the forums or Q&A sections. For example, repetitive arguing, bullying, name-calling, etc. Or it became evident to HP staff that they were trolls and not really invested in writing or being a member of the HP community. Hubbers also report inappropriate use of the site to HP staff who will ban a hubber if they determine that said behavior was inappropriate. I couldn't find anything in the Learning Center to give more detailed explanations but I'm sure it's there. Happy hubbing!

3. Karin Weakley profile image73
    Karin Weakleyposted 2 months ago

That's a hard one to answer. Could have been for many reasons. Just like on FB, people are reported for vulgar content, bullying, stalking.... and so on.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 months ago

They could've been a spammer. I wish I had a nickel for every "new follower" I've gotten who, when I check out their profile, turns out to be some random numb-nuts who either has no hubs...or if they do, they're advertisements for sketchy shopping sites, travel sites, movie download sites, etc., etc. They usually get canned fairly quickly after joining, especially if someone reports them.

5. Kathleen Cochran profile image85
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 months ago

I've attracted a couple of these lately on questions I've posted that have attracted a large number of answers.  I guess they look for those.  I've reported them to HP and deleted their answers.

6. Marisa Wright profile image91
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 months ago

It's important to understand that followers on HubPages are not friends, and they're not the same as followers on Twitter or elsewhere.  Also followers do NOTHING to increase your income, since it's all internal traffic and your income comes from external visitors.

The idea of followers is so that Hubbers can motivate each other - nothing more!   You follow people whose Hubs you enjoy, and then you get notified when they publish a new one, and you can go and read and comment on it.

If you follow everyone who follows you, you'll soon find you can't possibly keep up with all the Hubs they publish, and you lose track of which ones you were genuinely interested in originally.  It's quite likely you'll end up reading and commenting LESS, not more, because you feel overwhelmed. 

There is no rule that says you have to follow someone back, because that would be silly - many of your followers won't write on subjects you're interested in, for instance.

7. felishiyafiamma profile image77
    felishiyafiammaposted 2 months ago

Hi Marisa Wright,

I got your point, but my main motive was to know the reasons for which HubPages ban account. Thank you for your suggestion. You are right.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image95
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 2 months ago in reply to this

I stay up until nearly the sunrise. So I'm 'working' night shift here. Every single day there are brand new spam accounts posting the lowest common denominator of web content you can imagine.

But I never check to see if those persons get deleted or banned or whatever. I just flag their spam forum posts and spam horrible quality hubs.

But insofar as persons I've actually interacted with here, the ones I recall who were banned were banned for

1. repeatedly publishing content which violated terms of service, usually the content meant to be inciting.
      2. Overly aggressive harassment of other users. You can harass people as much as you want, especially in the forums, so long as you do it politely. My advice though, would be to completely ignore the persons you don't like.
      3. emailing the actual staff with angry or aggressive emails. I knew of one person who wrote absolutely terrific content, but he sent, apparently, inappropriate emails to the staff here.

2. Marisa Wright profile image91
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 months ago in reply to this

The reason was probably that the person had gone on a "following" spree but hadn't written any Hubs.  This is a well-known spam tactic: their next step would've been to send you an email and hope you reply (giving away your email address).

8. SmartAndFun profile image92
    SmartAndFunposted 2 months ago

I've also seen accounts banned for blatant plagiarism. Those types of accounts aren't as common as the spammers, but it happens from time to time that a new member will fill up their account with nothing but articles they have copy-pasted from elsewhere.