jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

I'd like feedback on my Hub: Hand Versus Machine Sewing

1. Joyce Fischer profile image82
    Joyce Fischerposted 7 weeks ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub Hand Versus Machine Sewing (must be signed in to view). What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. theraggededge profile image93
      theraggededgeposted 7 weeks ago in reply to this

Love this!

Make your images full size and also that they are the best quality. Use an image editing program (you can get free ones) to sharpen and brighten them.

Break up some of the long paragraphs, especially the first one, into shorter ones. Don't forget that people will be reading your hub on their smartphones and tablets, so a little white space helps the eye to move down the page.

You might think about removing the link to Wikipedia - HP will not see it as relevant to the topic.

And don't forget that an iron helps give a professional finish to almost any sewing project big_smile

Joyce Fischerposted 7 weeks ago in reply to this

Thanks. Those are helpful suggestions. I do have an aversion to the short paragraphs. They tend to beg for short sentences and small words. But I understand why they may be necessary.

Yes, an iron does help immensely. I was thinking everyone has one and that would be for a more detailed sewing post. But maybe it's worth mentioning.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 weeks ago

I agree, I would remove the link to Wikipedia. Why encourage the reader to abandon your Hub before they've read the rest of it?

I don't think you need to make ALL your images full size, but do consider that most of HubPages' readers are viewing Hubs on a mobile device or tablet.  HubPages has made the (rather annoying) design decision that when Hubs are viewed on a mobile device, right-floated images will show full-width ABOVE their related paragraph, not below.  That can sometimes make a nonsense of your text - for instance, mobile viewers will see your photo of hand-sewn muffs, but not read your reference to the photo until the end of the next paragraph!   So I would be moving that photo to full-width UNDER its related paragraph instead.

It also means that for mobile viewers, this Hub will start with a full-width photo that, though amusing, has nothing to do with your subject.  If the reader is searching for useful information on hand sewing vs machine sewing and all they can see on their screen is two women playing chess, they may click back and look for a more relevant article rather than scrolling down to discover that you do, indeed, offer useful advice.

Finally I wonder if the Hub is sufficiently focussed. It starts out as a comparison between sewing vs machine sewing and when you might use one or the other - but then it strays into choosing the right tools for hand sewing, and choosing the right sewing machine.  Those two topics are worthy of a Hub in their own right, I'd have thought.   

It is important not to write Hubs that are too short.  The "sweet spot", based on research by experienced Hubbers, is between about 800 to 1,500 words.  I suggest taking a look at the Hub and seeing whether it could be split up while staying within that range.

Joyce Fischerposted 7 weeks ago in reply to this

The explanation about what happens to the photos explains a lot. Maybe I should avoid captions whenever possible.

I am aware of the "sweet spot" for word count. I can break the article into two or even three Hubs. I will play around with it. The idea that most people would be reading this on their phone makes me wonder if this is even an appropriate topic. I never read anything on my phone unless I'm bored. 

The title of the article is Hand Versus Machine Sewing. So, I included both because you have to know the basics to make a good decision. If I break it up, it would actually be three posts and possibly a series. Maybe two will work.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 weeks ago in reply to this

HubPages has said most of its readers are reading on their phone or tablet, but I think that's because so many of the younger generation have eschewed conventional PC's and laptops altogether. So they're not just on their mobile because they're bored!

3. Joyce Fischer profile image82
    Joyce Fischerposted 7 weeks ago

No, I really meant, I only use my phone when I'm bored. I know other people are attached to their phones. Yet, It makes me wonder if I'm in the right place. Reading on a phone is perfect for short quick reads. I wonder, do they read books at all? I can't imagine enjoying even a good comic book on a phone. I  do use my tablet for serious reading. That doesn't mean it's not fun. Hmm, maybe be I should write about that and get feed back. I should stop writing long responses and get busy.