jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (14 posts)

Downloading Images

1. sallybea profile image97
    sallybeaposted 3 months ago

Is there a way of downloading all the images I have uploaded over the years to Hubpages in full size?  I see that I can download one at a time but I can I do a download of the whole lot at once using an external hard drive?  Being able to do it at once would be very helpful as I have lost some over the years.

1. eugbug profile image94
      eugbugposted 3 months ago in reply to this

I remember writing an answer to a similar question a couple of years ago, but can't seem to find it. My answer was to use a directory download application. Will have a look again to see if I can find it. Full size photos seem to be stored in https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com which gives an access denied message when an attempt is made to view it (technically  this is sort of hacking!). However images are lumped in with everyone else's.

sallybeaposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Thanks, think I have enough of my own without confusing them with everyone else'ssmile

1. eugbug profile image94

Just remembered, it was DownThemAll, a Firefox extension which we were discussing in the thread. There are quite a few steps to using it. First you need to go to the album page and run DownThemAll from the menu. Turn off all the filters except .jpg. This lists the thumbnails on the page plus 520 pixel and 1024 pixel wide images, identified by _f520 and  _f1024 respectively at the end of the filename. Unfortunately 1024 is the rescaled pixel width of the image (what you get  when you click on an image, right click and then select "view image" plus click again. 520 pixels is a half sized image. I haven't figured out how to download full resolution images.These have the same filename without the _f1024 or _f520 suffix.  Another problem seems to be that only the images displayed on the page show up in the list window in DownThemAll, and a complete scroll of the page to the end of the album would be necessary to generate a full list of files.

Thank you.  I think I might have to give it a miss.  I really do need the high-resolution images rather than ones which have been rescaled but I really do appreciate your help.

2. eugbug profile image94
  2. FelishiyaPS profile image79
    FelishiyaPSposted 3 months ago

Go to the gallery page in your account and press Ctrl + S, if you have MAC, then use Command key. And save the page to the desired location on your system. A folder will be created by the name My Photos something and you will have all your images. I just tried and it worked. But the only problem is the image size will be smaller.

Thank you.  I was hoping that there was a way to download the images in their original size.  There appears to be an option where you can click an individual item to do so.

1. theraggededge profile image94
        theraggededgeposted 3 months ago in reply to this

You can save the whole hub as a webpage if that would be okay for you? Right click on the page, click Save As, save to the required folder. I do that with all my hubs.

I have done that but as the hubs are edited so much over the years I had stopped doing that.   It is the images that I would like to save at their full size.  I appreciate your help, thank you.

1. lobobrandon profile image81
            lobobrandonposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Yes saving the hub does help as all the images are also downloaded. If the size of the image on the hub is alright with you, and if you got many images on a single hub it would be a quicker way to save all your images.

When you save a webpage a folder with the media of the page is also saved. You could probably scavenge from these folders. Just another option, not saying it's faster. For me this would be quicker than downloading each image one at a time.

Yes, it would be much quicker but there is always the possibility that I might need the images at their full size. I guess there is no way to do that.

1. lobobrandon profile image81
                lobobrandonposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Nope not as far as I know. Probably get it done a bit every day or something.

Might take a month of Sundays:)  Grateful for your help, thank you.

working