A person with tattos you hire yes or no

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (106 posts)
  1. Lgali profile image58
    Lgaliposted 14 years ago

I think people with tattos find sometime hard

1. JamaGenee profile image77
      JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Depends on where the tattoos are, how big, and if this person will be dealing directly with customers.

2. MissJamieD profile image56
      MissJamieDposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a couple of tattoos, one is a black panther on my forearm. I was 18 when I got it, now I regret it but can't do anything about it. I am a caring, sweet person and prefer office jobs. I haven't ran into problems with it yet but I also wear long sleeves most of the time. Living in Minnesota there's not much time to wear revealing clothing due to the weather.

1. Lgali profile image58
        Lgaliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

why society so har for people with tattoes

2. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Well Lgali...if they're along the middle of their forehead...

1. Lgali profile image58

or anywhere where we can see

3. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Wear a long shirt, works for me : )

1. Lgali profile image58

how about long pants

2. Everyday Miracles profile image86
      Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A story about that...

My husband is a golf professional. He knew someone from golf school (I think?) who had a beautiful tattoo of a dragon that went up his back and down one of his arms. He wore long sleeves most of the time to cover the tattoo.

Once, he met someone who wanted to offer him a job. The offerer invited the man out for a game of golf, and when the tattooed golf professional went to play, his tattoo was seen in the locker room at the club. He didn't get the job.

In the summer, golf professionals are expected to wear short sleeved shirts. He lost the job because of his tattoos.

DH is a professional, generally working in management, though right now in sales. It is always best not to have tattoos or facial piercings if you're going to be presenting yourself to the public. I took my nose piercing out years ago because of this.

ETA: No, not always. *Usually*.

4. profile image49

Or wear a short skirt, that works better : )

1. Lgali profile image58

how about no skirt

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
        GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

See, now you're just catering to the male population with over zealous nudity. ;P

2. profile image49
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

When can you start lol

1. Lgali profile image58

I already started u miss me LOL

1. profile image49

Every second : )

5. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years ago

Haha badcompany...

My tattoos, when I get them, will be small and barely noticeable.

1. profile image49

Joking aside I have 5, two on each arm and one on my shoulder and I wish I hadnt got them. Twas a teenage deckhand at the time trying to impress a fair wench.

Neat. ;D Great way to stay in character. =P

Mine, yet again...will say "Made in China" on my left wrist and "Assembled in Mexico" on my right.

G|M

6. brad4l profile image73
    brad4lposted 14 years ago

I think an individuals actual qualifications are almost always much more important than their physical appearances. So, I would judge someone on how well they fit the job, rather than whether or not they have a tattoo on their arm.

1. J. Kumm profile image59
      J. Kummposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It would be nice if it worked that way, but it doesn't. I would hire anyone with tats if they were qualified and gave a good interview.

1. brad4l profile image73
        brad4lposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think, with the exception of face tattoos, it does work like that more often than not.

Perhaps there is still more prejudice in some of the professions that Ralph Deeds mentioned, but in technical and industrial fields, the qualifications and abilities of the individual usually are more important than the fact that they have a visible tattoo.

I have known a lot of successful professionals that have visible tattoos. I remember I sold a car once to this guy that was covered in tattoos. He had tattoos on his arms and his neck and turned out to be a software developer at a major computer hardware manufacturer.

1. Lgali profile image58

you are right face tattoos are bad
          I think any tattoos on visible part are bad..

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
            Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

My tattoos are in places that are easily covered: two around my left ankle, one on the back of my neck (a Norse rune that's fairly small, and hidden when I wear my hair down).  But that didn't factor into my decision, and I've never conciously had to cover them.

My tattoos are part of me.  I'm not ashamed of myself.

1. agvulpes profile image86
              agvulpesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not ashamed to admit that I have admired a nice tattoo on a ladies ankle. If it's tastefully done I don't see any problem.
              Also many sportspeople are having them done in honour of winning premierships or such.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
                Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Guess at the end of the day ,it really depends on what the tattoo's looks like ,and really if the person hiring is ok with it or not

Personally I have this strong urge to get one now thats says
                "Hire Me" lol

Then what happens when you get a job ?

After I get the job, delete the Hire ,and add 'All About'(lol)

2. oxymoron profile image56
              oxymoronposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's so simple that you should think a lot before going for having a tattoo smile

7. Lgali profile image58
    Lgaliposted 14 years ago

I find our society does not like much

Meh, some people are closed minded. "OMG! They've a tattoo! They must be in one of them tharr biker gangs! Or they musta got it in jail over some pruno!"

B.S.

Individuality is key, and as long as it's not obscene...

G|M

1. Lgali profile image58

that is good
        Individuality is key

2. Lgali profile image58

small is good

8. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Well, in North America tattoos are quite common and people do get hired. Most do cover them at work though.

1. Lgali profile image58

I find percenatge is very very low

9. profile image49

If I could go back I would get 1 tattoo and that would be the Chinese symbol for good luck on my wrist.

1. Lgali profile image58

if you work for chinese company

2. GeneriqueMedia profile image60

Do Chinese people get badly worded English on their arms? ;D

1. profile image49

Cute lol !

10. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 14 years ago

I do not see a problem with tattoos.  As long as they are qualified for the job, and they can be mostly covered, it really shouldn't matter. 

I have two tattoos on my back, that are not very small.  Of course, when I'm at work, no one can see them, because I have to wear a polo shirt.

11. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Reminds me of when I was asked to remove studs from my ears as a young student years ( in the 70's)

Do they effect the way I work?
    No
    Is policy law?
    No

Are we overly concerned about appearances , my opinion
    Yes

Think about this , do you remember good service or bad service?
    or how the person looked?

The only stipulation I would insist on is hygiene, all the other gobbly gook is fluff.

By the way pants down to ya a** or any body parts out more than in is unhygenic.

1. Lgali profile image58

thanks for sharing this story

You are welcome , enjoyed the question.
        The wierd thing is as children and teenagers we are usually all encouraged to be unique and yet we do
        Its considered "inappropriate"
        Crazy

I personally dont want a tattoo but I think in the great scheme of things who does it hurt?
        Their image? How?
        example
        The pizza boy who delivered my pizza had a tattoo of buddha on his arm
        I dont agree with Buddha ,but do I quit buying pizza?
        No way ,does it affect my decision to buy from that company again
        No
        Do I associate Buddha with Pizza now
        No
        Just more corporate nonsense

1. Lgali profile image58

Policy may not be law, but we've a policy on circumventing that. wink
      You signed the paperwork when we hired you! big_smile

Just thought I'd share my experience.

G|M

....Yes but that doesnt make it right now does it?

Oh now Im excited to ask a question on here thankyou (again)

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
          Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Former Secretary of Labor, Treasury and State George Shultz has a Princeton tiger tattooed on his butt, I read somewhere. He got it when he was in the Marines, if I recall correctly.

so no chippendales for him right? lol

Neat stuff Ralph, thanks for the info. wink

Does it make it right? No, not at all, I suppose....but does that mean they don't enforce it?

G|M

12. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 14 years ago

I have never had a problem getting a job because of the way I look.  I have my tongue pierced, as well.  Of course, I don't have crazy tattoos on my face, or implants in my head, or anything like that, so I guess it's less of a concern.

1. Lgali profile image58

implants in my head LOL

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
        Anna Marie Bowmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not kidding!  There are people out there who implant things in their head, to give them ridges or bumps.  Almost like the same sort of thing with cosmetic surgery (cheek implants, chin implant), except they do them in strange ways, like giving themselves bumps that look like small horns coming out of their forehead.

1. Lgali profile image58

thnaks for info I do not know this before

Good observations. smile

I've been bitched at for a little bit of makeup and "nail polish" here/there. But I've never shown up to a shift wearing one of my awesomely cool technoish "legless pants."

wink

G|M

13. sassychic profile image61
    sassychicposted 14 years ago

I have a tattoo on the back of my shoulder now. I dont know if any of you guys remember when I asked for advice on what to do. I think the back of the shoulder is perfect when you work you can't see it because of clothes when you swim people can see it because its an apporpriate time and people who dont find it acceptable dont have to know. If you get a tattoo the only reason someone else will know is if you want them to and you tell them and want the attention. with teh acception of being a swim instructor I think you would be fine if you stick to my advice.

14. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 14 years ago

So my cousin who works in job training and placement has a guy come in saying he doesn't know why he can't keep a job and he's got "BAD ATTITUDE" tattooed on his face.

For me, I don't care if you have every inch of your body tattooed, but if you've got your neck above the collar line and your face tattooed, then don't expect people to take you seriously.

Yeah, not the best place or message to spread. Reminds me of the main antagonist in Snow Crash--beefy fella with a nuclear warhead for a side car, his face had been stamped with a tattoo for future reference when he got out of being detained..it read

Poor Impulse Control

G|M

2. sassychic profile image61
      sassychicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agree with that! That was just pure studity.

15. Bob Cedar profile image58
    Bob Cedarposted 14 years ago

It also depends where you live. Areas are more conservative and some are more liberal about stuff like that.

1. Lgali profile image58

good take some places are good

16. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

I've got 3 tattoos.  Does that affect my ability to do my job?  Not in the least.  I'm still kicking a$$ and taking usernames. 

Really, I don't think I'd want a job where the priorities of the company or leadership were so messed up as to put body art or lack thereof above capability and temperament.

Well, I guess the answer depends on what kind of job you're applying for and how visible and large the tattoos are. I suspect that big tattoos might not help you get a job as a nurse or physician's assistant or x-ray technician.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
        Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I realize this might be true, but that doesn't mean it's right, or makes any kind of sense.  I think the stigma against tattoos should have gone extinct a long time ago.  I don't care if my doctor has tattoos, as long as s/he knows what the heck s/he's talking about.

1. Adrianna's Pages profile image61
          Adrianna's Pagesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maddie:I agree that the md needs to show knowledge of the profession (I'm a nurse), however I think it's a generational thing. If you're 18 to 40, probably not a problem...but if you're 65 to 90 it can be a sign of immaturity to "that" particular generation.

Example: I have a very good dr friend that is an excellent MD. He does have a couple of Tats and comes to work dressed in boarder shorts and loud print shirts. Well the younger pt's think he's "way cool", however I've overheard other older patrons of my hospital make comments like..."Well I wouldn't want Gilligan takin' care of me!" Like I said...Generational.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

I agree that it's not right. I was just pointing out that prejudice against tattoos exists in certain professions. Other examples: doctors, lawyers, CPAs, bank tellers, high end fashion models, teachers. Anyone hoping to enter those professions had better put their tattoos where the sun don't shine.

I remember, several years back, there was a runway model who had a shaved head, and a dragon tattoo on the back of her head.  It didn't seem to impeed her ability to get work.  I have also known several people in a variety of professions with tattoos, several of them visible when they wore t-shirts of pushed their shirt sleeves up.

17. Christa Dovel profile image69
    Christa Dovelposted 14 years ago

When I got a tattoo, I made sure that it would be easily covered, so that it would not effect my hire-ability or my husbands. 
    The place hiring will affect the answer to this question, as much as the tattoo and its location.

18. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

I really think it depends on the person and the position.  In example, I work with a designer who has sleeves--tattoos running all down both his arms.  He's also got ear plugs...  It also works on him, kinda weird.  He's still a 'clean cut' looking art guy.

However, in this area of the country in particular, there are people who look pretty skanky with tattoos on their faces (usually in black ink, and those are generally considered prison tattoos).  And no--I wouldn't hire them.  Well, maybe to work the night shift at a 7-ll. 

I personally will never get a tattoo.  I'm original enough, wink.  When I feel like being intriguing I wear all black and byzantine earrings.

19. futonfraggle profile image67
    futonfraggleposted 14 years ago

I could see Charlie Manson having a hard time getting hired, I mean, I wouldn't hire someone with a tat like THAT but I think most tats are okay, as long as they're not offensive.

He's got good music though...if only he had a record deal, we might still have Sharon Tate!

G|M

20. mayhmong profile image76
    mayhmongposted 14 years ago

I think tattoos are beautiful but I will never get it done because I'm such a weakling!?

I would like to have this one done

http://femininetattoos.net/wp-content/u … design.jpg

21. Adrianna's Pages profile image61
    Adrianna's Pagesposted 14 years ago

I don't have a problem w/tats, but I think it depends on the type of career. If you're going for a job in the art/music industry, or of course, Tattoo artist, then wonderful, but If you're going for a career in the healthcare field, that's different. I say this because, especially in a nursing home setting, elderly people sometimes are intimidated by tattoos/piercings. If you're going for an office position, probably should cover 'em up.

22. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

If they are obscene cover them up for work, I have seen some beautiful tattoos on people, if the question is would I hire a person with tattoos? Of course it doesn't effect there job performance. smile

23. SweetiePie profile image84
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Pretty much every job I have had since college I have known people with tattoos.  The tattoos that they have are tasteful and people seem to like them.

24. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

You know tats have gone mainstream when BARBIE gets -- not just one (a butterfly on her shoulder) but a tramp stamp on her lower back that says 'I heart Ken.'
    These days, even older people have them. They can be very beautiful and honestly have nothing to do with one's ability to work.
    Judging a book by its cover has never been wise...

Anybody see that movie called Cape Fear.
      Is it any wonder that people are intimidated when they see a Tat.
      On the other hand I have seen some very sexy tats on some very beautiful women. And what about Abbie in NCIS .

I LOVE NCIS!!!!  Abby is adorable, in a dark, goth sort of way!!  Great reference!!

25. profile image0
    Adam Bposted 14 years ago

I wouldn't hve a problem hiring someone with tattoos.  Maybe it;s becasue I already have tattoos and maybe because I am a musician, but someone's ability to do a job shouldn't be effected by the ink on thier body.

That being said, if I were hiring someone for a sales position for some sort of corporate or high volume professional company, I wouldn't hire them i they had a tattoo on thier neck, face or hands.  As long as they could cover thier tattoo with clothing...cool.

26. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Angelina Jolie has no probs finding work and she has tattoos

1. weblog profile image58
      weblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Probably those tattoos add value wink

27. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years ago

In a job placement program for receptionists and customer service reps, we had a female applicant in her early 20s arrive for an interview wearing sleeveless, deep-necklined top that revealed moderate cleavage, self-inked blurry tattoos on one forearm, a plastic neon-red hair-fall attached into the natural brown but unstyled, and large appliques on all fingernails of a heterosexual couple engaged in mutual oral sex. The tattoos were the least of our concerns.

The tattoos in themselves, unaccompanied by the rest would have looked unprofessional because of their low quality. We would not have wanted gang-related symbols, profanity, hate symbols/words, nudity, or obscenity.

1. Lgali profile image58

this means small tatoo hidden is good

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and I don't think all have to be hidden, just according to the type of business, if applicable.

I've seen some inoffensive and attractive wrist and ankle bracelet tattoos which would not be cause for rejection in an interview. The larger and more visible the tattoo the more likely it would result in rejection in many professions.

1. Lgali profile image58

I find tatoos are still not finding nice place in our society..

28. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Personally a tatto would probably not be the main reason for me not hiring someone ,but depending on the actual design it certainly would influence my decision.

29. Bob Cedar profile image58

I'm getting a tattoo of a grape, so when I get older it will turn into a raisin.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HAHA -- On some folks, it might change into an over-stretched-out baggy balloon...

1. Lgali profile image58

LOL   lol

30. Eaglekiwi profile image74

ROTFLMAO!!!

Your hired

31. Bob Cedar profile image58

big_smile

32. Klniksta profile image59
    Klnikstaposted 14 years ago

i love how at the beginning of this forum we started talking about no clothes and nudity, when the question was about hiring someone with tattoos smile

33. flread45 profile image60
    flread45posted 14 years ago

If they are not gang related or pornographic,or sex related..

1. Lgali profile image58

that is right

34. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

Depends on the job they are applying for and if the tattoo is visible, work culture and the reaction of clients or customers.

1. Lgali profile image58

good take

2. Lgali profile image58

YES YOU ARE RIGHT type of job..some hidden jobs are the best choice

35. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

Tattoo are more acceptable because they are considered fashion.

36. tksensei profile image61
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Sorry if all this has been said:

I think it depends on what kind of tattoo and where it is and what job the person is applying for.

1. Lgali profile image58

nice one

2. Lgali profile image58

i like the idea of job the person is applying for

3. Lgali profile image58

good talke

4. Lgali profile image58

good take

37. Lgali profile image58
    Lgaliposted 14 years ago

so the conclusion is small tattos hidden are good to go

38. Pete Maida profile image59
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

I would only have one situation that would make me think twice.  If he had to deal with the public and my next meal was based on by business' standing with the public; I might have to think hard about it.

My son and my step-son both have fairly large tatoos but none are clearly seen in work clothes.

1. mandybeau profile image58
      mandybeauposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would not hesitate to employ a person with professional tatos where they could not be seen, I would however not want to employ a person, with tats on their hands the sort that say LOVE HATE on each finger these scream" I have been in jail had a biro and a needle, and too much time on my hands. So also may suggest I could be dishonest...... They also are disfigurement, I have designed tatooes for people as part of my job, but on each occassion told them I did not like them, and believed that they would regret them later on.
      A slim lady on the arm of a young guy looks alot different, when all the colour has left and his skin is wrinkled in his fifties, also i am really against names. Bad move. I do not however have a problem with cultural tattos, such as our maori ones, it is Politically incorrect to discriminate against these, these are legends, and are carried by families.

1. Lgali profile image58

very nice take

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)