jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

How to convert old recipe hubs to recipe template?

1. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 2 months ago

I have a bunch of old recipe hubs that I made years ago, before the recipe hub template was created.

What is the best way to convert them to a recipe template hubs?

Do I have to unpublish/delete and start all over with a recipe template, as if it is a brand new hub? Or can I somehow convert the existing article?

I have tried to search for an answer to this question, but the search function here is basically useless. I wish there was a way to search only the forums. I am sure this question was covered here in the forums back when the recipe template was introduced.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Unfortunately, there is no way to convert existing Hubs to templates after they have already been created. Should you want to use the templates, you will need to start new Hubs.

However, templates are just capsules with tips that we've created to make writing articles a little easier, so a more convenient way to approach this might be to start a new recipe Hub in a new browser tab or window and simply use it as a guideline to edit your existing articles so you can tab back and forth and won't lose traffic from changing your existing recipe URLS and losing all of their history with Google.

1. SmartAndFun profile image93
        SmartAndFunposted 2 months ago in reply to this

OK, great, thanks for your reply. I was thinking there was something "special" about the recipe template? Something to do with getting a photo and rating to appear in Google results?

If it doesn't make any difference, I am more than happy to go the convenient route. Thanks!

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
          Christy Kirwanposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Well, the recipe format is not necessarily the same as the Recipe Template. We've had the recipe format long before we added the templates as guidelines. However, even if you didn't originally create your article using the recipe format, you should still be able to add recipe capsules, you'll just get a warning that you can choose to ignore.

The reason we include a warning is simply because we want to strongly discourage authors from adding recipe-specific capsules to non-recipe Hubs (we have been penalized by Google for their widespread misuse before).

So to summarize, you can still add recipe capsules to your recipes and use the template as a guideline if you wish, you will just see a warning when you try to add recipe capsules (which you can disregard because your articles are, in fact, recipes) because you didn't originally select the recipe format when you started these Hubs. Does that make sense?

2. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 2 months ago

Yes, I think so. Thank you!

working