email saying to proofread

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (27 posts)
  1. TessSchlesinger profile image60
    TessSchlesingerposted 7 years ago

Hi,

I've never had an email from hubpages saying that a moderator suggested I proof read something, so I must be missing something here.

http://hubpages.com/education/Does-Life-Have-a-Meaning

I found three small typos. H instead of He. Massive instead of missive, and one other in a similar vein.

What am I missing?

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
      DrMark1961posted 7 years agoin reply to this

We have some forty score years to live?

TessSchlesingerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yup. That is one. But i'venever had an email from hub pages before saying that I.must proof read before it is featured.

Thanks for picking that up

2. LongTimeMother profile image92
      LongTimeMotherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Here's a few more ...

... I wold not be in the place ...
      ... than the one’s I have presented here ...
      ... It works. And it works faster. ...

Faster than what? Perhaps you just mean it works fast.

Truly obliged. I read it through over and over again and could not see them. My editor friend says no one can see their own typos because the brain sees what it thought it had written. :sad

1. theraggededge profile image97
          theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Tip: print it out and read aloud. Your brain has to focus on each word. It's a good way to pick up all those little sneakies.

Excellent idea. Will have to buy  printer. Haven't had one for a while, but excellent idea. Thanks.

3. toptengamer profile image87
      toptengamerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Better yet just use the grammarly app. It'll point it out for you.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 7 years ago

It looks good to me know, the only error I saw was:

If I played with friends,she would say to me --missing space after comma

3. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 7 years ago

Tess: You have a handful of non-English sentences in this Hub. Is it possible the message you received was auto-generated because of these sentences? Or does it appear to be from a specific person?

Aha! That's it! Yes, my native language is not English. My mother was Afrikaans and my father German, so we didn't really speak English at home.

Thanks!

4. DrMark1961 profile image97
    DrMark1961posted 7 years ago

I noticed the same thing about the foreign words. There does not seem to be enough errors to justify a note about proof reading, so I figured this was some computer algorithm that caught a bunch of misspelled words (that is, not English--I think HP sees any words in our native language as not spelled correctly).
    You might feel differently on this subject, but I do not think that foreign words add anything to the value of an article. An English speaker is usually going to skim over them anyway, so unless it is a phrase that is well known I just translate it to English.

Thank you. That was probably it! smile Didn't occur to me. Sometimes when I think back, I'm still more familiar with a childhood language and somehow the translation doesn't mean the same thing. Now fixed up. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It shouldn't be necessary to remove a foreign phrase - did you put it in quotation marks or in italics?  Perhaps they just didn't realise it was a foreign quote.  It seems a shame not to quote it in the original as well as giving its meaning.

Marissa, there are more than 1800 words in that hub, and there were a total of 5 or 6 typos in it. Plus two foreign sentences. Yes, they were in inverted commas because I was quoting direct speech. Two of those typos were in the opening paragraph.

I just got an email from Hubpages saying that my hub wasn't features because there were spelling and grammatical errors. That simply isn't true. I speak the Queen's English and have outstanding grammar. And I don't make spelling mistakes. Because I type at 100 wpm, I occasionally make typos.

Unhappily, I am seldom able to see my own typos.

As the email said that it was a moderator who decided not to feature my piece, I have to take that at face value. So either it was one of the new moderators who saw the first two typos and decided the entire piece must be full of them, or it was the foreign language sentences, or someone just didn't like what I wrote. It wouldn't be the first time I was picked on for my atheist outlook.

Anyway, it has now been featured, and who knows what actually happened. I did remove the two foreign sentences, and thanks to everybody here, I corrected the typos.

It's not that I mind fixing typos (it's very helpful to have them pointed out). I have just never received an email from HP before saying that my hub wouldn't be featured because it needs to be proof read.

2. DrMark1961 profile image97

It may not be necessary but does it really add to the value for the reader? I think it is a shame to qoute the original when it is not going to be appreciated anyway.
          I think tl;dr came out after Strunk was long dead, but if it had been around he probably would have used it.

Actually, there are a fair number of South Africans here, and they would understand what was said. So would anyone who was Dutch or German.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97

But does it add anything important to your essay?

Read what I said in context.

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

It is certainly very odd

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 7 years ago

I don't think it is odd because the comment was made on the previous version that had a noticeable number of copy-editing errors.  These have now been fixed and that is probably sufficient.

You call 6 small typos out of 1830 words 'noticeable?'  I have been writing for Hubpages for a long time, and I can assure you that I have had typos in other pieces, and I have never had an email saying that I must proof read.

By 'noticeable' you're implying that I had so many that people could see it immediately. I'm sorry, I do not buy that.

I do buy that possibly HP has suddenly become more strict. I also buy that the person did not read the entire piece and saw two typos in the first paragraph. I also buy that it was an algorithm and that it picked up foreign language. Whatever.

But sending an email to proof read is not the norm for 6 small typos in a piece with more than 1800 words.

That said, I have no objection to fixing up my work as I prefer to have good work.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that is what I think.  If it passes now without further problems it will be confirmed.

Well, then obviously all the moderators who have been checking my (and other people's hubs) are doing a shoddy job, because they have all been passed previously.

In fact, if typos had not been passed previously, there would not have been a need for pro editing or for a spell check.

Sorry, I don't agree with you.

1. sallybea profile image94
            sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

As one of those South Africans mentioned above I can't help noticing sometimes that we have a unique style of writing which perhaps others see as being 'different' but whether that is sufficient for someone to ask you to edit your hub on those grounds is debatable.
            Unlike you, my first language is English rather than Afrikaans, but I know that I sometimes phrase things differently to others who write here.  I recall my own parents telling me about the importance of writing 'Kings English'.  That does make me smile because the English language in the Britain is almost unrecognisable as that.  I doubt that many people here would even recognise that phrase either.
            I hesitate to add much more except to say that in the final chapter you talk about wonder and I do wonder if you mean wander?

Except that I do not phrase English incorrectly, and have been published (and paid for) since 1962. I have also been published on three continents, won prizes for my writing, and hired as a writer in both the States and the UK.  The marketing director at Argus Group told me in Johannesburg in 1970 that a particular piece I submitted was the finest piece of writing he had seen in 20 years. I was first published in 1962 or 63 by the Durban Junior Tribune newspaper.

So,no, I do not phrase things incorrectly, and there wasn't one sentence corrected for grammatical purposes. I was schooled at  http://www.dsgschool.com/ despite having an Afrikaans mother and German father.

The only thing picked up were typos. I have just realized that they happen because I type at 100 wpm and sometimes my fingers are light on particular keys so they leave out certain letters.

In addition, a good few of my pieces are chosen for vertical sites (despite typos).

So I don't believe that particular piece was about typos. In any event, it is now featured, and we'll leave it at that.

1. sallybea profile image94
                sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I was not doubting your ability at all. That is precisely why so many South Africans have been welcomed all over the world for their ability to work hard and do the job.
                I am glad your piece has now been published.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)