Wordpress writer stealing hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (38 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years ago

https://rvbodyrepairsanjose.wordpress.com has stolen two of my articles.  He generally writes about auto repairs, but somehow decided that two of my RV articles would look good on his site.  If you write about auto repairs, you may want to check to see if he has taken one of yours.

In my case, he was brazen enough to copy TWO articles word for word including photos and claim them as his.  Report has been set.  Wordpress.com is the host.   Good Luck.

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I would not be surprised if Almaden RV Service and Repair hired some cheap "SEO consultant" who made that freebie wordpress.com blog and just scraped RV articles from around the web, without the RV repair business even knowing what was going on.  The blog does not have ads, which makes me think its existence is solely for the sake of SEO for the RV repair company.

Perhaps you can try contacting the business directly through their real website and ask them to take down your stolen content. hxxp://almadenrv.com/contact-us/

Good luck.

1. profile image0

You could also contact the business through FB https://www.facebook.com/RVBodyRepairSanJose
        I'm 99% sure these guys hired out some SEO work and have no idea what's going on.  I have seen it dozens of times with small businesses.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

You were exactly right.  I followed your advice, spoke to the owner and the posts are now gone.  Thank you very much.  I never thought of looking for them on FB!  Great idea!

1. profile image0

Glad it worked out for you.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You might've missed an opportunity there, TT2.  I've had a couple of situations like that, where the "thief" was a real business.

In both cases I contacted them explaining that my articles were copyright and they didn't have permission to reproduce it, so they could either pay me for the article or take it down.

Both times I got a nice reply apologising and explaining somebody else had put the site together for them - and how much would it cost to keep the article.

I replied my normal rate was $100 (pants on fire), but since it wasn't their fault, I'd settle for $50.  They both paid up!     And I didn't remove the article from HubPages either.

No doubt your correct, but I like to keep total control of my articles.  This particular company obviously wanted them to be online, which would mean that they would own the article and also, I could be faced with duplicate content and have a problem online.  Not worth it to me.  I could have easily offered my services to him, but I didn't want the problems that would come with doing so.  Don't need the money that bad!

1. WryLilt profile image88
              WryLiltposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Why does everyone stress so much about duplicate content? As long as you're not in direct competition with yourself, it can be extremely useful. Even Matt Cutts says it's fine.

Matt Cutts says a lot of things, but you can never trust him not to change his mind and can never know when he will.  Most people think it's better to be safe than sorry, and I'm one of them.

Good to hear there are still some people willing to write original content sometimes smile Far too lazy, myself! big_smile

2. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Send them a bill smile It works sometimes.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 7 years ago

Not that it's going to matter much, but you forgot the basic rule of not posting links to plagiarists tongue The space between the .com and the rest hehe. Good luck getting it taken down.

wordpress.com is the host.  I followed their guidelines about contacting the writer first to work things out, and what I received was a thank you for becoming a follower!   I also sent a DMCA to Wordpress and expect they will dump those articles.  If not, I'll file a complaint with Google, and that will do it.
      Thanks for all of the info, though.  I have a real aversion to liars, cheat and thieves, so when someone does something like this, I get really upset.  I have never NOT had a plagiarizing site removed in the almost 5 years I've been here, and I expect to see this one go, also.  Wordpress is a reputable company, and I feel they will do what is right.

Frankly, I wasn't thinking about that, but you are so right!

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Wordpress is very vigilant about plagiarists so I'm sure you'll get a positive outcome.

4. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 7 years ago

Seo companies use articles from hubpages and other article sites all the time without permission. They essentially make software that searches the web and presents it to them as its found. Normally when requested the articles will be taken down and other times they won't. While copyright infringement is a crime, if they aren't profiting off your work (selling it directly or ads) then theres very little you can do to force them take it down.

Hope they do the right thing!

-thranax

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Wordpress.com will do the right thing for them - they're pretty good like that.

Thanks to some of the info you guys provided, I was able to contact the owner of the RV repair company that had hired this writer.  I don't know whether Wordpress.com removed both articles or he did, but they are gone.  The owner told me he would be firing the writer, and was shocked to hear about this.  However, I see that the writer's site is still up on Wordpress and still has the other articles there he wrote for the owner, but that may change.

As I was checking, I noticed that another site called multirake.com, a site writing for Wordpress but not Wordpress.com, which is a different entity, also stole the title of one of those two articles as well as the AxleAddict name.

Namecheap is the host, but I found no way of contacting them to file a DMCA.  They are very user unfriendly.  I took a chance and emailed them at "abuse@namecheap.com", and the email, I think, went through. 

If I do not hear from them, I'll file a complaint with Google.  It's only the title, but it is still plagiarism.  What a day THIS  has been!

I use Namecheap. They have a live chat big_smile

I finally got a reply from them after taking a chance and sending a DMCA complaint to abuse@namecheap.com.  They said they'd investigate!

For the future, if you ever need to file a DMCA with a host - just Google DMCA and the name, e.g. "DMCA Namecheap" or "DMCA GoDaddy". Usually the page with their claim form will come up in the results.

Thanks.  Good tip!

I tried it for Namecheap and all I got was directions for filing a DMCA...no address or email info.  Didn't work.

5. Glenis Rix profile image94
    Glenis Rixposted 7 years ago

How did you discover that your work had been plagiarised?

The HP team places a little red c in a circle next to an article that may have been copied.  When you pull the article up in edit mode and read the top area, you'll see who stole your work and can then go after them with a DMCA complaint.  We're lucky the team does this for us because I would never have known about this otherwise.

6. Marisa Wright profile image86

It's your choice of course - but they wouldn't own the article, any more than HubPages owns your articles.  You would simply be granting them the right to display the article on their site, just like you grant HubPages that right.

Also I'm sure you know, HubPages warns you about duplicate content but doesn't penalise you for it, so that's no issue. 

Finally, yes it's possible their copy of your article could outrank the original on HubPages - but it's only going to do that if they've got a high profile, high ranking site and it's very unlikely that will be the case for a small business site that's not regularly updated.

1. MizBejabbers profile image86
      MizBejabbersposted 7 years agoin reply to this

HP doesn't penalize you? Marissa, they took my hub down and accused me of copying someone else's hub. I had to prove that I had written and compiled the original. I had even done interviews and gotten permission in writing to use the subject's photos. You know that there is a 3 or 4 day period in which the hub gets attention from the daily feeds. By the time I proved it was mine, interest had waned and my efforts were wasted.

I seem to recall that, MizBejabbers, but that was when you first published the Hub.

I have no clue how the thieves managed to steal your piece when you'd only just published it, but that's not what I'm talking about.   I'm talking about TT2's experience, where she's got an existing Hub that has already been published for some time, and someone has copied it.  There is absolutely zero chance that HubPages will penalise you for that.

Actually, one of the two hubs was written just four days before it was stolen!

7. Stevensen profile image57
    Stevensenposted 7 years ago

Why didn't you tell him to pay you for the 2 articles? What if more people copy articles from HP?

First of all, you can't make a person pay for articles.  Second, even if he did, there would be no guarantee that he would not steal again.  Third, the owner of the business was not the one doing the stealing.  Fourth, filing a DMCA report puts him on notice that you will take legal action if he doesn't remove the articles.  Fifth, I did not want my articles appearing anywhere else online because doing so could detract from my page views as well as my income.  Enough?

1. Stevensen profile image57
        Stevensenposted 7 years agoin reply to this

yeah, I totally agree with you

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Stevensen, Tons of people already have copied articles from Hubpages. It is a never ending problems.

^ This. Some of my more popular hubs have been (I estimate) copied hundreds of times, not always maliciously. I gave up doing DMCAs a long time ago - only would in the even they outranked mine.

8. Marisa Wright profile image86

I tried it and I got the same article, I think, but it had a link to "How and where to file abuse complaints", which then had a link to submitting a DMCA ticket. 

They do often make it a bit hard to find because they want you to chase the website owner first, something I no longer do!

I didn't see that, but if you say it's there, it's there.   I found them particularly user unfriendly and only was able to reach them by taking a chance and sending an email to "abuse @...........).  I had reported them to Google before hearing from them 2 days later, so one way or the other, this will get taken care of.

A big thank you to all who responded to this post.  This morning I received notice from Namecheap.com that they had not only removed the offending post, they suspended the account of the writer!  Also, just so you'll know, their email address is abuse@namecheaphosting.com. I found that nowhere on their site, so you may want to take note of it.  I addressed my email to abuse@namecheap.com as a guess, and somehow they got it.

However, it could well be that I reported them to Google when they did not respond at first, but either way, the write and his stolen hubs are gone!

Namecheap would not be aware that you reported them to Google.   

When you report to Google, all that happens is that Google blocks the article so it won't show up in their search results. They don't contact the owner of the site. 

The only time reporting to Google gets articles removed, is if the article is on a Blogger blog.

Well, that solves THAT mystery! Thanks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)