jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)

Comments with links!

1. sallybea profile image96
    sallybeaposted 8 weeks ago

I have someone who keeps on adding a link to their comment.  Thus far I have denied the comments, what should I be doing with them.  The comment is always nice but I think they are just using me to promote their links.

1. MizBejabbers profile image92
      MizBejabbersposted 8 weeks ago in reply to this

You didn't say if it was a link to their own hubs or websites. I frequently see links that further information in comments. I was under the impression that HP allowed that type of link. I'm assuming you mean links that are self-promoting. I would delete them and perhaps email the person why.

1. Greensleeves Hubs profile image96
        Greensleeves Hubsposted 8 weeks ago in reply to this

Whatever the official HubPages or Google position, that certainly seems like a reasonable approach. There should not be a problem with adding links which contribute to the information in the hub. They serve a valuable purpose.

If the comment is sincere and helpful but nonetheless includes a link which you think is inappropriate, maybe you could cut the comment and then paste it again and attribute it, but delete the link - and explain why you were forced to do that.

But if the link is clearly self-promotional or irrelevant - that's different. Just delete.

2. sallybea profile image96
        sallybeaposted 8 weeks ago in reply to this

The link is a URL is a self-promoting website, nothing to do with the word felting which is included in their link. The problem is that they have started visiting more than one of my hubs.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
          Glenn Stokposted 8 weeks ago in reply to this

In that case I would  mark it as spam. I believe if it's tagged as spam by enough people the IP address may be blocked.

Thank you, Glen, I will continue to deny them no matter how nice the comments are:)

Not only deny, but click the spam button. That's what I meant.

Was not aware I  could do that.  I think that on the comments section that it says, delete forever accept or deny,,did not think that there was an option for spam.

It's right next to the "Approve" button.

Ok thanks, Glen, appreciate your help.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 weeks ago in reply to this

It's ultimately up to you how you want to manage your comments, but we do recommend deleting any that contain links.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 weeks ago

I think you 're right, keep denying them

3. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 8 weeks ago

I always delete comments that contain self-promotional links, and I don't feel bad about doing that because the rule is clearly stated under the comment form as follows... "Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites."

If it's a link to another site for the purpose of adding some value, I hesitate sometimes to approve it if the URL seems to be a site that might degrade my ranking. As you may know, Google ranking is negatively affected by outbound links to low quality sites, so we have to be careful with that too.

Thanks for the advice.  I will continue to deny the comments as their URL also contains the word felting so it really irritates me that they would do this.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 weeks ago

Ignore, delete, destroy.

Will do, thanks very much.

5. Robert Sacchi profile image89
    Robert Sacchiposted 8 weeks ago

Are the links to one of their sites?

The link must be one of their sites but as I recall that the link went to a page which sells domain names.  I deleted the comments (forever) so can't go back to check as far as I know.

working