jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)

linking to your blog

1. letstalkabouteduc profile image91
    letstalkabouteducposted 7 weeks ago

I've read on the forums that it's a good strategy to link from your Hubs to your blog and vice versa. However, whenever I do this, the editors remove my blog link. How do people promote their blogs on Hubpages?

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 7 weeks ago in reply to this

I see personal blogs promoted on the profile page, but no clickable links are permitted.

letstalkabouteducposted 7 weeks ago in reply to this

Thanks, Stacie.

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 weeks ago in reply to this

Actually no it isn't a good idea!

You'll often see Hubbers with a blog where almost every post is a paragraph linking back to HubPages.   That's because that was a very successful strategy - about four years ago!  Nowadays it can be very detrimental to your traffic and it's therefore a very bad idea.

If you've got a blog which has lots and lots of links all going to the same website, Google takes that to mean the blog has little value in itself and exists solely to promote another site. That's something they disapprove of, so they will penalise the blog heavily. 

So, if you're going to link TO your Hubs FROM your blog, only do it once or twice, no more.

If you're linking FROM your Hubs TO your blog, however, you can be more generous, since HubPages has thousands of links going out to thousands of websites and therefore a few to your blog won't be a problem.   

In both cases, though, if you're going to link from within a Hub or within a post, ONLY do so if you can link to a Hub or post which offers further information that's useful to the reader and relevant to the context.

Marisa, you're a wealth of knowledge and generous to share. Thanks so much!

2. Glenn Stok profile image98
    Glenn Stokposted 7 weeks ago

The right way to promote your own blog, or any type of home website, is to put the URL in the "website" field on your profile so it appears as the home icon along with your other social media links.

Thanks, Glenn. I did that, but what is the "home icon?"

1. Glenn Stok profile image98
        Glenn Stokposted 7 weeks ago in reply to this

The home icon looks like a house. Take a look at my profile and you'll see what it looks like. It will appear on your profile too when you edit your profile and add your URL as I explained earlier.

OK. I got it. Thanks!

working