jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Do full width videos slow down page load time?

1. DrMark1961 profile image91
    DrMark1961posted 6 weeks ago

I have been editing almost all of my hubs this month and have been making my photos full width. When I have several photos in one capsule, I have been making them into thumbnails so that there will not be too many photos to scroll through for mobile viewers.
    I have also been making most of my videos into half-width since I was told that full width videos load slower. Does anyone have information on this? Am I doing the right thing?

1. srai01 profile image92
      srai01posted 6 weeks ago in reply to this

I guess, The length of Video should not effect HP page load time because that's a referral link from Google Cloud store. Not the direct link.
      Another reason, When we ope HP article video buffering don't start automatically. When someone will click on video then only streaming and   buffering will come in picture.
      But no. of videos can effect, i think that's also negligible, until its not many videos on same page (At least 5+ on same page).

2. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 6 weeks ago

I can't think of any reason why a video should not be full screen. Google's cloud delivers YouTube vids. Plenty of power there.

3. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 weeks ago

I'm with Will - the video is embedded, not actually loaded on the page, so the width is irrelevant.

4. lobobrandon profile image81
    lobobrandonposted 6 weeks ago

Yup embedded and shouldn't make a difference to load time. Full width videos are better in my opinion.

5. DrMark1961 profile image91
    DrMark1961posted 5 weeks ago

Thanks to all of you. I have stopped making my videos half width, since it does not speed up page load time. I think a full width video gives a lot better viewing experience anyway.

working