jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)

Glut of Hubs No Longer Featured

1. Jodah profile image84
    Jodahposted 5 weeks ago

I know it is normal for hubs to become no longer featured from time to time due to low traffic or engagement, and we just need to update them, alter the title, remove Amazon capsules etc. Over the last week I have been finding about three such hubs per day, fixing them, and getting them featured again. Today I checked my accounts page and find 22 more have been de-featured! I can handle two or three at a time, but 22! Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

1. Will Apse profile image90
      Will Apseposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

If my hubs are unfeatured for traffic, I just let them go. It does not help me if I get them featured again and it does not help the site.

1. Jodah profile image84
        Jodahposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

Yes, I will probably move them all elsewhere. I was just surprised there were that many in one day. A week ago all my hubs were featured.

2. MizBejabbers profile image93
        MizBejabbersposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

I agree with that. I've rewritten or refurbished some unfeatured hubs, only to find them shelved again a week or so later. Two or three weren't green, but then several were humor, which seems to run its course. I haven't seen any unfeatured recently. What I don't understand is that some shelved ones had more traffic than featured ones.

1. Jodah profile image84

Thanks, MizB. Admittedly most of my unfeatured hubs are very short humorous poetry (micro poems) that haven't had a lot of traffic recently. I won't worry about those. The few other hubs that were affected I have updated by adding capital letters to the titles, removed Amazon capsules and my own copyright and they are ok.

2. kenneth avery profile image83
          kenneth averyposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

@ MizBejabbers,
          Do I understand your comments as I can go way back into my hub files and re-work some of my earlier files and get them re-published?
          This does sound tempting.

2. bravewarrior profile image95
      bravewarriorposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

At one point, most - if not all, of my hubs were featured. Now 91 out of 150 aren't. I'm not too worried about it though. Sometimes I'll get a comment on something I wrote eons ago. I guess I could try requesting some of them be sent to niche sites. The niche sites seem to result in more traffic than the generic HP site. Even with that many unfeatured hubs, I'm still making more money now that the niche sites are in place.

1. Jodah profile image84

I don't feel quite so bad now, bravewarior. If you have 91 unfeatured out of 150 and doing well and not worried then I won't either. Thanks.

3. kenneth avery profile image83
      kenneth averyposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

@ Jodah, I have answer "no," to your question. Yesterday was the end of my one-month absence from HP, a "break," as it were. And I have only time to polish a hub or two to publish in the next two weeks.
      I hope this situation with your hubs being de-featured works to your favor, my good friend.

4. jackclee lm profile image78
      jackclee lmposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

Something has changed with the re-publish of hubs. It used to be after 6 months or so, a hub would be un-featured due to low traffic. Just edit it slightly, will get it featured again. Now, I am seeing 3 or 4 appearing every day being un-featured. Small edit and republish will not get it automatically featured. The automated quality assessment process seems to be more strict. I would not worry about it. As others have commented, it may not be bad for a hub with few traffic to stay unfeatured.

1. Jodah profile image84

Thanks jackclee

2. Dana Tate profile image88
    Dana Tateposted 5 weeks ago

I agree with bravewarrior: My change is growing more rapidly since a few of my hubs have been sent to niche sites. One in particular is doing very well.  I have noticed two of my hubs have been unfeatured but I just left them alone and I'm not sure if I'll do anything with them.

1. Jodah profile image84

Thanks Dana, glad you're seeing an improvement.

3. Faith Reaper profile image87
    Faith Reaperposted 5 weeks ago

Wow, that is a lot for all at once, John.  Recently, I had two short poems unfeatured by traffic and they had been featured for my entire time here on HubPages.  They were just two Valentine's Day poems, one to my adult daughter and one to my adult son, and I included the meanings of their names.  So, really personal and no one would care about them except me and my children.  They loved them. Hahaha.  But, I was surprised they had been featured for over four and a half years until recently.  In the past I did update them with all the bells and whistles, so that may have been what kept them going for as long as they did.  I decided to unpublish them.  I wouldn't leave my hubs unfeatured, but rather unpublish them ...guess that's just me.

1. Jodah profile image84

Thanks Faith, I may just let them be for now and think about moving them later.

4. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 weeks ago

I wonder if they've tweaked the system again?   If they've changed the way they measure it even slightly, it might've been just enough to tip the scales?

1. Jodah profile image84

Yes, I think that is a distinct possibility, Marisa.

working