jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How do you save on your electric bill?

1. livewithrichard profile image85
    livewithrichardposted 7 years ago

My electric bill was under $350 for the first time in over six months.  Staying on top to the kids to keep things off or unplugged when not in use has been a help I think.  But summer is coming quick and the A/C and swimming pool are almost a necessitiy.  I'm investigating solar and wind devices to trim back a bit on some things.  Does anyone here have any tips?

2. frogdropping profile image84
    frogdroppingposted 7 years ago

Oh yeah and buy a few hamsters and them wheel things they like so much. Put them furry suckers to work. Harness all that frenetic circular energy.

Hook 'em up to a generator.

3. CarpetDiem profile image79
    CarpetDiemposted 7 years ago

CFL light bulbs! Compact florescent light bulbs made a huge difference for us, but most of our electric use is lighting. I don't see how the swimming pool would use much power? And you could go with a swamp cooler or fans instead of AC...
    That and put the kids on tread mills when they want to watch TV. smile

1. livewithrichard profile image85
      livewithrichardposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The pool has a pump and filter system that has to run all the time or the pool becomes a useless swamp.  Thanks for the other advices though... how do you attach the tread mills to the tv>  lol

4. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 7 years ago

Quite simple, really.

It involves a lot of invisibility paint and a long extension cord connected to my unknowing neighbor's house.

I use a voltage amp to make sure I don't blow a fuse, that uses biodiesel. Lil' bugger is loud, though. I just tell them its the water heater and that maintenance STILL hasn't fixed it!