jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Hub not getting published, although it isn't spam.

1. 0
    The Facts On Lifeposted 5 weeks ago

I wrote and published a Hub recently, but it tells me that it contains "spammy elements" and I need to revise it. I know for sure it doesn't since I went through the trouble and effort to make it the least "spammy" as possible. I reviewed a product and wrote about the pros of it and etc.

I read what "spammy elements" consists of, and I was further in confidence that my Hub didn't contain any of that stuff. I really don't know what HubPages wants me to do with it since there's no way I can completely change the Hub without changing the direction of how I'm presenting it. I didn't think "spammy elements" was codeword for "writing about products you've personally used." I looked over it and cannot see what would be "spammy" other than the fact that I used the name of the brand multiple times (What is wrong with that? It's called referring to what you're speaking of in the broader sense of an article). I don't want to say "this" and "that" and "the other" instead of the product name because I want it to be clear what I'm speaking of.

If HubPages is going to assume that mentioning anything multiple times is indefinite spam (even when it's not presented to be), this is going to be a sad and short relationship between me and the company then. I know it's not "spammy" because readers would've picked up on that -- and I know people enjoyed the read because I got a follow and a (non-spam) comment that showed someone found the Hub to be helpful.

Basically, if anything written in a positive way about my experience with something that references that something is used multiple times is what counts as "spam," I don't think I should waste any more of my time then.

EDIT: Forget it. I'm not wasting my time and efforts writing on this platform to be censored for b.s. "spam" content for evaluating products. If I were to write elsewhere, I'd be paid real money doing it -- not HubPages' poverty-level income reserved for their highest acclaimed writers.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image94
      Sherry Hewinsposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

So, did you have Amazon capsules in the hub? Did you have links to a commercial website? Those are the things HP seems to consider spam.

1. 0
        The Facts On Lifeposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

I posted a link to the website of the product I was reviewing. You can't seriously tell me that it's "spam" to direct people to a brand you're evaluating. Where else would I direct them to? Spam would be directing them to a website about cats when the article is about plumbing. But it did have an Amazon capsule. I had no idea that adding features the very site  gives you to use in your own Hubs is makes it "spammy." Wow.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

I'm guessing you are referring to your recent Muscle Milk review. The issue is that it reads like a sales page for the product. When it comes to products, we look for info on your personal experience. How often did you consume this product and for how long? How much muscle mass did you gain at the end? What didn't you like about the product? We look for balanced reviews that include both pros and cons, or at least, if you are completely 100% satisfied (and it's pretty rare that there wouldn't be one single thing you'd change about any product), what are some considerations your readers might not have thought of that you can provide info on since you've used it yourself? Why is it better than Pure Protein brand, for example, which has about the same protein/sugar stats and is almost half the cost? This is the type of thing your readers will want to know before buying.

1. 0
        The Facts On Lifeposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

I felt that my article was fairly well-balanced. I didn't write it exactly how another person may expect it to be read as/written, but that's a matter of personal choice. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't part of the way people earn money here on HubPages by reviewing products? If so, what would be wrong about my Hub then, given that it's pretty much exactly that (a product review/evaluation)?

If anything the article should be favored since I'm giving a good view of a product and I'm not getting paid a single penny for doing so -- and I'm writing and evaluating it from a non-biased viewpoint (i.e., I'm not directly trying to sell it -- more so, giving a positive view of it). I also mentioned other brands -- and I even said it's up to what the person wants (i.e., not "pushing" or persuading anyone to make a purchase).

I felt I gave a pretty good review of the product based on how I wished to review it. I'm not going to write a review in a specific, exact, formulated or structured way that another person thinks is "right." I follow the rules of this site, but when you're going to be pedantic about something and unspecific, there's only so far I'm going to try and make amends.

Also, I'm not obligated to compare the product I reviewed to every other product in existence. Since I wrote the article by my own free will, under no contract/agreement of any kind (regarding what I should write about), and I don't get paid a penny for doing so, I can compare it to any other products I want. I have gotten feedback on the article -- and it's been positive, so I'm not worried about that.

I'm worried about HubPages not liking things and telling me they're "spammy" for giving a positive review of a product.

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 weeks ago

I think there is a difference between a review where you describe the basis of your positive evaluation, and something that reads as a puff piece that could have been written without even trying the product.  Of course if you have already decided not to bother meeting the Hubpage requirements I suppose it is moot.

working