I can't access my page ... all I get is a "ping" sound

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. William F. Torpey profile image71
    William F. Torpeyposted 7 years ago

All I get is a ping sound on my Firefox  -- but if I right click my mouse and click on "Open New Window" I get the page. Also ... all of a sudden my computer doesn't recognize me and makes me read those hard to read letters and numbers. My Google Chrome seems to work OK (but I need to use both simultaneously.

1. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

William . . .I could have told you a month or two ago, but the issue had not arose. I had Chrome for a little while, but after some intense research on Chrome and how experts rated it . . .well, I went  back to I.E. and Firefox the updated version.
      And have left Chrome be. Experts said for some reason there were a lot of "bugs" with Chrome including a change in how your desktop icons look and that one did it for me. I am used to one way that works. I do not have the time (or strength) to continuously change looks, passwords, etc.
      If I were you, I would dump Chrome.

1. profile image52
        minameshilposted 7 years agoin reply to this

cool

2. William F. Torpey profile image71

It's Firefox that's giving me the trouble. Google Chrome is working -- but I agree about the passwords, etc. I'm beginning to think it's more trouble than it's worth trying to keep making the changes these computers demand. That goes for my iphone and satellite radio and TV as well. It's ridiculous.

1. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@ William, I wish you the Very Best. I have been where you are at right now. Why don't you go online and try to find a Customer Support 800 number for Firefox?
      I did for my HP Deskjet printer. I had to get serious with the first scammer, but the number on the search page below his fake number WAS the one I should have called in the first place.

3. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Firefox can be a pain in the neck!   I prefer it to Chrome but I had to give up on it, because Firefox just kept having too many problems. When I did my research I found a lot of similar complaints.

Most people use only one browser - Chrome and Firefox do exactly the same things so there's no need to use both.  You may even be causing some conflicts by having them both open at the same time.

William F. Torpeyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I absolutely need to use both Firefox and Chrome simultaneously, Marisa. I've been doing it for years and it is VERY convenient. It would take me much longer to accomplish my computer tasks if I were restricted to just one (So much so that I would give it up entirely if I were restricted to just one.)

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Now you've got me really curious, I'm wondering if I'm missing out on a clever trick now!  Can you explain why it's so useful?

4. William F. Torpey profile image71

Yes. Particularly on my sending of birthday greetings. On Firefox I have a list of Facebook friends who have birthdays each day. I click on them one by one.  I begin by pulling up the Facebook page of the first friend listed. Then I go to Chrome and pull up the CompuSmart page that lists all the celebrities that have birthdays that day. Out of the many listed I select a few of the best known celebrities.  I now have haave of my screen showing the Firefox page showing my friend and the Chrome page showing the celebrities. The I type my birthday message to my friend and list the names of those celebrities I've chosen and pulled off the Chrome list. Here's one I sent today:

Happy Birthday, Kathy. You share your birth date with such luminaries as actor Art Carney, singer Dixie Lee, actor Gig Young, journalist Walter Cronkite, comedian/columnist Will Rogers and 81 other celebrities listed on this Website:

Celebrity Birthdays on November 4
    Below are all the 86 famous people born on November 3. Ideal B irthday Gifts Abby Lewis was born on November 4, 1910. American act...
    IBIRTHDAYWORLD.BLOGSPOT.COM

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

....so the problem is that you can't get a list of your Facebook friends on Chrome, and you can't get a list of celebrities with birthdays on that day on Firefox?

That doesn't seem right.  All you need to do is open a new tab or a new page on Firefox and open Compusmart there.  Then you can switch between the tabs or pages, just like you are switching between Firefox and Chrome now.

Except you can't right now because Firefox isn't working, oops.  The other option would be to move the list of Facebook friends over to Chrome of course.

William F. Torpeyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Marisa. That works. Thanks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)