jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)

Kindly help me figure out the "spammy elements" in my Hub

1. arunsiv profile image83
    arunsivposted 3 weeks ago

I wrote an article title "Steps to creating a neat looking resume"

Refer link : http://hubpages.com/business/Resume-Sites

But they kept it unpublished saying my site has spammy elements.I edited, re-edited and repeated the process 5 or 6 times and still they rejected it.I really can't figure out what's wrong.Kindly help me friends.

1. Gcrhoads64 profile image95
      Gcrhoads64posted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

It may be the videos which have advertising for CVdotcom in them. I don't see anything else it could be. Hope this helps.

arunsivposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

I shall try removing it pal.Thanks a lot.

2. theraggededge profile image93
      theraggededgeposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

Hi Arunsiv,

The main problem is that you are writing about resumes, which must be produced to a professional standard in order to attract an employer's attention, yes? Your writing has many grammatical and punctuation errors all the way through, which makes it look very unprofessional. Too many to mention here but the most obvious problem is that you mix up singular and plural. Pasting the text into an online grammar checker might help you spot the mistakes.

Personally, I'd get rid of that 'nothing' image and replace it with something more meaningful, but place it a little lower on the page. Make sure it is legal-to-use and accredited if necessary.

Your title should be in Title Case.

Remember that, with this topic, you are competing with millions of web pages that cover the same thing. You have to make yours the best.

Thanks a lot for taking time to help me out dear friend.I shall try to improve and republish it.Could you point one instance where I mixed plural and singular? So that I could keep that asa guideline and remove similar other errors.Thanks again.

1. theraggededge profile image93
          theraggededgeposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

"Skills and Certifications, if you have any, demands its place in your resume."

Skills and Certifications, if you have any, demand their place in your resume.

It's still incorrect though. Better would be, "Skills and certifications should be included..."

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
          Marisa Wrightposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

It's nothing to do with ASA guidelines, arunsiv, it's basic English grammar. 

The problem you'll face here is that HubPages is aimed at an American and British audience, not an Indian one.   Although English is widely spoken by many Indians, there are many subtle differences, especially sentence constructions which are acceptable in India but not in America.  To be successful on HubPages, you really need to be able to write like an American native speaker.

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 3 weeks ago

I think it is the CVmaking video which clearly plugs that site.

As someone who reviews a lot of CVs, I also think you need to specific what kind of resumes you are talking about.  If I got a CV with a disclaimer of truthfulness that was hand signed I would assume something about the applicant was a bit "off", and probably not interview them.

I just removed it after reading your reply.Thanks a lot.Is there a possibility that the number of characters used are too less? Do you think so?

And instead of hand signing, what would be a better method in your opinion?

1. psycheskinner profile image80
          psycheskinnerposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

In my position reviewing technical and scientific job applications in the United States CVs are not signed.  The applicant will attach a cover letter and their signature is on that, not the CV.

Oh I see.Here in India aleast some of us follow the practice of hand signing the resume while directly submitting our job application. Anyway I shall edit it because I wish this article to be applicable to everyone in general.Thanks again pal!

1. daydreams profile image90
              daydreamsposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

Maybe you would be better off writing about how to write resumes in India, as it might be a bit more of a unique angle? I think you will struggle to compete just writing about resumes in general.

You have said that you should put date of birth and guardian's name- In the UK you wouldn't do that...and we call resumes, "CVs"
              In many European countries it is common to put a photograph but not in the UK, so there are lots of differences depending where you are..

It is just a thought. I once wrote a hub about covering letters- but concluded there wasn't much point in having it because there was too much competition...

2. daydreams profile image90
              daydreamsposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

but your question about spam- could be the bit where you recommend a visual CV website?

3. julieann26 profile image80
    julieann26posted 3 weeks ago

I agree with what has been said already especially in terms of how resumes are written.  Here in Australia, resumes don't have birthdates or addresses on them and at the most are 2 or 3 pages long.  The cover letter would contain your address and you only sign it if you are sending it by snail mail.  Online cover letters need no signatures.

4. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 3 weeks ago

Indeed, in the US both exact age and photos are discouraged based in trying to avoid sources of unfair discrimination.

working