jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

I'd like feedback on my Hub: Eating Egg Yolks As Harmful As Smoking

1. Dr Pran Rangan profile image79
    Dr Pran Ranganposted 2 weeks ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub Eating Egg Yolks As Harmful As Smoking. What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. makingamark profile image75
      makingamarkposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Any hub which quotes a "medical fact" without supplying the relevant online link (to the so-called fact on a serious medical journal which has been peer reviewed and is therefore reputable) lacks credibility.

If you are writing online don't make people look for the link - supply it.

It's NOT newly published. It was published in 2012 and there have been several articles since debating the claims made.

Sites which also do NOT do a proper review of ALL the relevant literature and don't also provide a balanced review is all subsequent articles which refute and/or comment on the interpretation of the claim made (I found several in 30 seconds) tend to undermine the credibility of the author.

Bear in mind Google tends to NOT give credence to health articles written by people on sites which are not recognised as credible. 

If you were writing as an accredited doctor on your own site (i.e. qualifications stated), Google might take a different view.

1. Dr Pran Rangan profile image79
        Dr Pran Ranganposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Thanks for the advice. I have quoted references to two studies - one in favor and one against. Although the studies are not very recent ones, still the issue is not yet finally decided regarding the effects of consumption of egg yolks in humans. This is what I have tried to put across in my article.

1. makingamark profile image75
          makingamarkposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Yes - but you've not linked to either

Plus an authoritative article would cover ALL relevant material when commenting on a topic as serious as this.

This is the problem with providing the "easy read" article for the general consumer. However if you provide links to further reading it enhances credibility to comment - and allows the reader to follow them up if they want to.

2. SmartAndFun profile image92
    SmartAndFunposted 2 weeks ago

I did not read the article, so forgive me  for commenting, but I wonder about the headline -- it sounds like clickbait. It also sounds as though there is no question, that yes, definitely, eating egg yolks is as harmful as smoking.

If your article looks at both sides of the debate, and if as you say the debate has not been settled, perhaps a less sensational headline would help the article pass QAP. How about simply stating the headline as a question rather than a fact? "Is Eating Egg Yolks As Harmful As Smoking?" In my opinion, asking the headline as a question is a big improvement over stating it as some sort of sensational fact.

1. theraggededge profile image94
      theraggededgeposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Indeed, I wouldn't even bother clicking on such a ridiculous title.

2. Dr Pran Rangan profile image79
      Dr Pran Ranganposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Thanks SmartAndFun for your feedback. I appreciate your view about the title.

working