jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Niche sites

1. Carb Diva profile image89
    Carb Divaposted 13 days ago

I am wondering if HP has any plans to branch out into publication (either print or e-book) for any of their niche sites. Allrecipes.com has a number of publications on Amazon and they also produce a periodical.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 days ago in reply to this

I'm not sure it would be practical. I think the challenge for HubPages would be working out how to pay Hubbers for Hubs that were used in those books.  Since there would be no direct advertising income, the earnings from book sales would have to be split manually, and the staff cost would likely outweigh the profits!

Sites like Allrecipes don't have that problem because they don't pay their contributors.

Helium used to sell ebooks, but they also didn't pay their writers any of the proceeds from them.

2. sallybea profile image97
      sallybeaposted 13 days ago in reply to this

I don't think I would be happy about that.  I think if writers want to publish their own articles as e-books or articles hard copy books they should.  There is something called copyright at stake here.

2. Julie Nou profile image85
    Julie Nouposted 13 days ago

If you spread yourself thin, you will loose more readers, than gain.  It is much better to concentrate on one thing, make it great, and keep the base growing.  There is way too much clutter in this world, to add to it.

3. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 13 days ago

We don't have any plans to do ebooks or print today. We tend to focus more on the evolving technical landscape and how we can help you reach an audience through things like AMP or instant articles (AMP is in the 2017 plan).

If there was a significant opportunity for authors with alternative distribution, we would consider it. We just don't think it fits a broad enough set of authors today.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image94
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 13 days ago in reply to this

What is AMP?

1. sallybea profile image97
        sallybeaposted 12 days ago in reply to this

https://support.google.com/webmasters/a … 0290?hl=en

Also when you submit a hub to a niche site you will get more info there.

working