jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

HTTPS issues for HP site

1. heidithorne profile image93
    heidithorneposted 12 days ago

There's a lot of tech chatter about HTTPS secured sites, with non-secured HTTP sites being dinged in search going forward. I see that the HP login is HTTPS and the network sites appear to be mostly HTTPS, too. But links on regular old HP seem to be of the HTTP variety. How is HP addressing the issue?

I'm also hoping that there will be redirects from any old HTTP URLS to new HTTPS URLS if and when a conversion takes place.

Just curious.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 days ago

As you've noticed, the niche sites have been set up as secure from the start.  That's where HubPages is making most of its income now so that's what they're focussing on.

Although HubPages keeps saying there will be some kind of future for the main site, I am still struggling to see how, when the site will eventually consist only of Hubs that fail to meet the niche sites' standards.  So that may be why HP isn't bothering to expend time and money on making the main site secure. 

Or maybe they just haven't gotten around to it yet!

1. heidithorne profile image93
      heidithorneposted 11 days ago in reply to this

Marisa, you may be right in that the standard HP site may be lower priority and they'll get around to it eventually. As I'm sure many hubbers can attest, we all still have a bulk of content on the standard site. We'll have to keep monitoring the situation. But in the meantime, have a Happy Thanksgiving!

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 days ago in reply to this

I'm in Australia so I won't be having Thanksgiving, but thanks anyway!

You are right that most of us still have the bulk of our Hubs on HubPages, but HubPages said some time ago that only a small percentage of Hubs accounted for 70% of its traffic (and therefore of its earnings), and it's those Hubs that have been moved to the niche sites.    Also, most of the Hubs moved to niche sites have increased their traffic and earnings.

So, although there are still far more Hubs on the old site than there are on the niche sites, they are contributing very little in income.  And that is always going to be the case, because as new Hubs are published, the best are being moved straight to the niche sites.  So what's left behind on the main site is always going to be the low-traffic, low-income stuff and therefore not worth HubPages investing in.

That's why it's so vital to work on improving your Hubs to get them moved to the niche sites.  The staff are still trawling through the main site, looking for good quality Hubs to move.   A good tip is to look at Hubs with similar content and combine them - Hubs over 1,000 words seem to have a better chance.

working